15 (27.3%)
House tech/Doe
4 (7.3%)
long term contract tech
15 (27.3%)
Road Tech
21 (38.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: House tech vs. Road Tech  (Read 59325 times)

IPREGEN

Re: House tech vs. Road Tech
« Reply #50 on: Apr 05, 2010, 12:10 »
The vs. is a little too broad.
House tech gets better formal training
better benefits

Road tech usually has more outage per year experience and has the chance to see a variety of techniques / systems, used at different plants. This can be considered better informal training

but...
There are dirt bags and superstars on both sides of the paycheck. Some house techs are "retired in place" while others are making it all happen. Some roadies are impossible to find while others feel like part of the house "working" family because of their contribution.

A friend once asked a bragging nuke, "Do you have 20 years of experience, or 1 year twenty times?" 
It's a good question.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #51 on: Apr 05, 2010, 01:46 »
A friend once asked a bragging nuke, "Do you have 20 years of experience, or 1 year twenty times?" 
It's a good question.

Post of the day at the very least!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #52 on: Apr 05, 2010, 02:48 »
It's a good question.

I've heard that quote before...and here's my response to it:

If you need a tech to cover your refueling cavity (or nasty job of your choice), do you want the 'well-rounded' 20-year tech that knows all about routines, count room, instruments, environmental, etc...or the 'mono-faceted-1-year-twenty-times' tech that has only done refuel floors over and over and over and over...?

Yes, you have a nice sound bite, but...it all just depends on what you need done...  1 year 20 times is NOT a bad thing in & of itself.
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2010, 05:01 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

mostlyharmless

« Reply #53 on: Apr 05, 2010, 07:33 »
Being good at this job transcends where you work. It does not transcend experience. When I think well rounded, I think experience,especially job coverage,  of a wide variety of situations.  What do you do for a glove puncture at a Pu-239 glovebox facility? How about pulling insulation from a leaky rcp, or initial entry into containment? This is not to take away from the countroom or routines, the plant runs on routines. Some folks love the count room,more power to them. I prefer the jobs. I am project oriented. I loved the outages and would do any job. Everything was new and I love being in the BRT. Now I work at a DOE facility and the challenges are no less,only different. I don't know what it is to be house in commercial.
There is a lot to be said for focusing,specializing in one area, but a lot also for wide ranging experience. Each recquires a different mindset. This topic is to broad. But since the first day I walked on site as a "rent a tech" ( I hated that term, but I've been called worse) I have thought about the difference between the two environments ,the road vs. stay at home,and the type of techs each produces. Its not the place , but the tech.IPREGEN  is right, there are fantastic techs and sorry techs in both. I felt like there was competition for work while on the road, and taking the test so often made me more sharp. Also the pace of the work made me sharp. Now the pace is slow and I have to keep myself sharp. I don't work at he same pace, I don't cover work every day,so I don't feel as sharp with the coverage. I hate to say it but I believe I was a better tech ,in some but not all ways,before I got here. And its because of the slow pace.
I keep repeating myself and going around and around on this subject. Perhaps it could be narrowed a bit. I have worked in outages in Commercial,as a sub at doe sites and now house at doe. So house to me is doe. Is there a big difference between the house world of the two?

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #54 on: Apr 05, 2010, 10:17 »
We are required to perform our jobs considering the direction given us by the house techs.  You may know our direction is wrong, but we still need to comply.  I need this job, I'll do what is required.  Is that wrong?
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #55 on: Apr 06, 2010, 04:43 »
mostlyharmless,

I'm thinking you need a week at the Tiki Bar in Holiday Isle... 8)

retread,

The answer is "YES"!  If you comply with something you KNOW is WRONG, then YOU are WRONG!

I recently had a conversation on the same subject with a Technician I use to have confidence in.  He informed me that he would do whatever his supervisor requested, (right or wrong), because he was being paid to do so and considered the request a condition of immunity!  I never have, don't now and never will need a job that bad!  If "Neck Down" is a title you wear proudly, then you’re probably as far as you’re going to get!

Have a Great Day...RG!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #56 on: Apr 06, 2010, 06:57 »
We are required to perform our jobs considering the direction given us by the house techs.  You may know our direction is wrong, but we still need to comply.  I need this job, I'll do what is required.  Is that wrong?
retread,

The answer is "YES"!  If you comply with something you KNOW is WRONG, then YOU are WRONG!

How WRONG is wrong?

If you are asked to do something that is illegal, then you have to say 'No'.  (This includes procedural violation...you can be prosecuted as a 'willful violator' if you intentionally do an action that you know is prohibited...)

If your supervisor is just asking you to do something in a different manner than you would choose (even if it is blatantly stupid), then sometimes it's easiest just to do it the house way.  (Note:  If you are convinced it is stupid to the point of dangerous...for you or your crew...ask them to put it in writing.  I've only had to do this twice in 20+ years...once, they realized how dumb it was going to look on paper and did it my way.  The other time, they went ahead and wrote it down as an order in the logbook for me...and everything worked out fine...they were 'right' that the job could be done their way.)
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2010, 11:24 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #57 on: Apr 06, 2010, 01:12 »
How WRONG is wrong?

If you are asked to do something that is illegal, then you have to say 'No'.  (This includes procedural violation...you can be prosecuted as a 'willful violator' if you intentionally do an action that you know is prohibited...)

If your supervisor is just asking you to do something in a different manner than you would choose (even if it is blatantly stupid), then sometimes it's easiest just to do it the house way.  (Note:  If you are convinced it is stupid to the point of dangerous...for you or your crew...ask them to put it in writing.  I've only had to do this twice in 20+ years...once they realized how dumb it was going to look on paper and did it my way.  Once they went ahead and wrote it down as an order in the logbook for me...and everything worked out fine...they were 'right' that the job could be done their way.)

I heard once that hubby Henry was asked to violate procedure and he was quoted as saying " Put it in writing, sign it and then I might consider it"... or something to that manner... I applaud you for standing up for your principles in this day and age.

IPREGEN

« Reply #58 on: Apr 06, 2010, 03:19 »
I've heard that quote before...and here's my response to it:

If you need a tech to cover your refuel bridge (or nasty job of your choice), do you want the 'well-rounded' 20-year tech that knows all about routines, count room, instruments, environmental, etc...or the 'mono-faceted-1-year-twenty-times' tech that has only done refuel bridges over and over and over...?

Yes, you have a nice sound bite, but...it all just depends on what you need done...  1 year 20 times is NOT a bad thing in & of itself.

The point is you may have someone who never advances his skills and knowledge. Maybe they already know everything. We have met them. You could put a Jr on the bridge to "ride"

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #59 on: Apr 08, 2010, 05:00 »
Marssim,

Where's that Colonel Nathan R. Jessep speech when you need it..... :-X

....You want me on that Bridge.....You need me on that Bridge...... >:(

Opps, off topic,

Got to go, RG!

Offline Shawnee Man

• Moderate User
« Reply #60 on: Apr 08, 2010, 01:54 »
You want me on that wall.

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
  • PAYING THE COST TO BE THE BOSS!!!!!
« Reply #61 on: Apr 09, 2010, 11:31 »
Great Jack Nicholson ;D Road Tech's Rule !!!!!!!!!!!!
Early to bed, 13 hours on nights, makes you tired, wealthy and a night crawler!!!!

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #62 on: Apr 10, 2010, 04:25 »
Excellent, but you may have lost a few with the acronyms.... :-X

RP = Radiation Protection

FME = Foreign Material Excussion

SAFDL = Specified Acceptable Fuel Design Limits

DNBR = Departure from Nucleate Boiling Ratio

EFPH =  Effective Full Power Hours

GDC-10 = General Design Criteria ...#10 requires that the reactor core be designed with appropriate margin to assure that specified acceptable fuel design limits will not be exceeded during any condition of normal operation. A Good Thing... ;D

Hu-rrrrrrrrah..RG!   ;)

mostlyharmless

House tech vs Road Tech
« Reply #63 on: Apr 13, 2010, 10:07 »
Vote your experience not your preference.

mostlyharmless

House tech vs Road Tech
« Reply #64 on: Apr 13, 2010, 10:09 »
Vote your preference not your experience.

Dwayne

Re: House tech vs Road Tech
« Reply #65 on: Apr 14, 2010, 02:29 »
I am a road tech. and always will be...use to work at plants for 4-6 months at a time back in the 80's...now lucky to get 30+ days at a plant.    8)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #66 on: Apr 14, 2010, 07:01 »
I put down long term contract, but when I was younger it would have been road %100.

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #67 on: Apr 14, 2010, 07:57 »
Eight years was my longest.  But now sleeping in my own bed most evenings seems to work a lot better for me.
LM

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #68 on: Apr 14, 2010, 09:20 »
Now that I have family....... house. If it was just me, not so much ::).....

Mike
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #69 on: Apr 14, 2010, 09:43 »
I am with you Mike.  If it was just me I would love to be on the road as I like to travel etc.  With a family not so much.
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

radbrat

« Reply #70 on: Apr 14, 2010, 10:19 »
Have tried staying in one place, 10 months was the longest. The road is for me!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #71 on: Apr 14, 2010, 10:49 »
Now that I have family....... house. If it was just me, not so much ::).....

Mike

Ditto - even to the point of refusing OT now...  8)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #72 on: Apr 15, 2010, 03:00 »
On the road for 10 1/2 years.....House Tech for 2 1/2.......making $50,000 more a year, while having full benefits and a retirement package.....Priceless.
I do miss the summers off  :'(.....but with my Shift Schedule, I only work half the year anyways.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #73 on: Apr 17, 2010, 05:00 »
The hardest part of being a house tech was seeing the same people every day, all year, every year, until the outage came along and we got to see new and old friends.

The hardest part of being a road tech was saying goodbye all the time.

House makes so much more sense.  There is so much more stability and security.  But, in my heart, I'll always be a roadie.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #74 on: Apr 17, 2010, 07:36 »
The roughest aspect of the house techs is their belief that they know what they are doing and need no input from the road techs who all know what they are doing and need no input.......................

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?