Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Future Rx in the US
honeypot

Poll

Which company do you think will build the next Rx in the US?

Dominion
3 (5%)
Entergy
12 (20%)
Progress Energy
1 (1.7%)
NMC
0 (0%)
Consortium of above mentioned
15 (25%)
US Government
11 (18.3%)
GreenPeace
4 (6.7%)
Other
14 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Future Rx in the US  (Read 19219 times)

harleygirl

Future Rx in the US
« on: Apr 24, 2004, 09:49 »
Okay who do you think it will be? They say build it and more will follow....

I know we are waiting for the investment to make sense before wall street will back a new future Rx but if certain environmental regs get put through such as more emissions taxes on NO2, SO2 and CO2 then nuclear becomes really economically feasible...fast as the other generating sources would be very expensive in pollution controls.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2004, 09:57 by Harley Girl »

harleygirl

Re: Future Rx in the US
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2004, 10:09 »
Before I get slammed I put GreenPeace in as a JOKE okay....some people just do not have a sense of humor anymore...

harleygirl

« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2004, 10:41 »
Sorry in my haste I forgot to list Excelon so we will put them under Other.

ex-turbine_cowboy

« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2004, 11:20 »
Is green peace the same vote as when hello freezes over?

harleygirl

« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2004, 01:09 »
Thanks for the laugh turbine cowboy, you get +karma for that one.

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2004, 03:32 »
I think it probably will be a consortium since the bottom line is $$$ and no Utility would want to stick its sole financial neck out more then it has to. Unless the  U.S. Government does some HOODOO  :P with tax breaks or other incentive.
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2004, 06:36 »
Don't you hate it when you vote for something and the total in your category becomes "1"? When I checked US Government, I mean TVA finishing Bellefont Unit 1!
(Just wanted to defend my vote!)
 ;D
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

JassenB

« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2004, 07:12 »
Roll Tide:
Just out of curiosity, how does that work? If TVA wants to finish the plant, do they have to reapply for a new license, submit evidence that the mothballed pieces are still structurally sound, etc.??

-jassen

JassenB

« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2004, 07:18 »
Actually, last month's issue of "Health Physics" had an article about small-output reactors, and Toshiba has made a formal offer to the backwoods town of Galena, Alaska to install a 10 MWe plant. If the town accepts the power plant, Toshiba will ask the DOE to provide funds to finish the design, licensing, and construction. This could be in the next couple years.

These plants have a 30-year sealed core, so no refueling.

They estimate that additional power plants of 10-50 MWe would be available for about $20 million. Here in the municipal power authority in Fort Collins, CO we spend about $10 million each for a peaking power unit (gas turbine) that is 20 MWe (and has to be fed).

-Jassen

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2004, 07:27 »
Roll Tide:
Just out of curiosity, how does that work? If TVA wants to finish the plant, do they have to reapply for a new license, submit evidence that the mothballed pieces are still structurally sound, etc.??

-jassen

BLN-1, BLN-2, and WBN-2 are TVA's mothballed construction projects. Since the construction license is still valid, no additional license is required to complete construction. NRC approval is required to resume construction, but the systems are in at least as good shape as BFN-1, which we are re-starting now.

Since it is the old program, the license is for construction, it will take a new license to operate commercially. That shouldn't be much problem with BLN-1.

Sorry, TVA has rotted my brain. BLN is Bellefonte Nuclear, BFN is Browns Ferry Nuclear, WBN is Watts Bar Nuclear.

Come on down, we'll get her up and running in no time!
 8)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Surveyors_mato

« Reply #10 on: Apr 30, 2004, 04:10 »
Locally, I tend to agree with Roll-Tide. Bellefont has the potential to be first out of the gate with a new RX....Well maybe not NEW but at least rebuilt.....Many of us here in the south would love to see it. TVA Been bery, bery gooooood to me.

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2004, 12:55 »
When i was out at CGS on an industry trip one of their very higher ups told me they're seriously considering reestablishing the CP for Unit 1 (At least I believe it's unit 1, It's slightly Southeast of the Protected area).

When I interviewed at St Lucie I ws told one of the reasons they're over hiring SROs is they're hoping to get a CP very soon to build a facility.

Mike

remowil55

« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2004, 06:08 »
It will be the Southern Company then Entergy. I worked at Vogtle this spring and there was talk by some of the house people that Vogtle was looking at 2 more Rx at there site. They have already bought the land.Remo

Gball

« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2005, 08:48 »
Hey Roll Tide,

Seems to me they pulled a nozzle out of one of those Rx vessels in mid-eighties? Something about QC qualifying X-ray clouds on N2 nozzle at the Ferry...

Auburn Fan   ;D

Gball

« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2005, 08:50 »
Just kidding about Auburn Fan, really a Kentucky Fan! Go 'Cats!

hillbilly an proud of it!

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2005, 11:16 »
Hey Roll Tide,

Seems to me they pulled a nozzle out of one of those Rx vessels in mid-eighties? Something about QC qualifying X-ray clouds on N2 nozzle at the Ferry...

Auburn Fan   ;D

I am not sure if you are referring to the BLN or BFN. I have no knowledge of either.

After an undefeated season, there are a lot of bandwagon Auburn fans around here!  ;)

shark

« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2005, 02:09 »
TVA may be next.

radgal

« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2005, 04:31 »
DOE is really looking into GEN V RXs.  They want to combine these with clean water production plants in arid areas.  They not just looking in US but world-wide on this one.

jakester

« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2005, 05:04 »
I thought I heard Duke was going to be next at building a new one in South Carolina???

RADBASTARD

« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2006, 05:00 »
I think the will be building 2 more here at calvert cliffs first

LaFeet

« Reply #20 on: Mar 15, 2006, 06:49 »
I think it will either be TVA (Bellefonte) or Entergy (Grand Gulf or Riverbend) that will have the next one built.  Most likely a new one at Grand Gulf first.  The state of Mississippi is really pushing hard for it.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?