Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu mildiv @ nnptc honeypot

Author Topic: mildiv @ nnptc  (Read 9030 times)

xmizeje

mildiv @ nnptc
« on: Jul 11, 2009, 02:50 »
As a heads up, I am new here. As another heads up, I'm freshly married and my boy is a nuke up here in SC. I'm fairly new to all of this.. I don't know what everything means, and sometimes it slips my mind to ask. Or it doesn't come up -shrug- and I'll apologize for anything that comes off sounding naive or stupid :)

Unfortunately, my husband is now on MILDIV for however long. We back down to our hometown for the 4th and we were about fiften minutes late for his ordered hours due to the traffic before our exit. I know, our fault.. Should have left earlier, whatev. Not what I'm here to ask about, please don't hound me about it. I'm here to ask about the rules for me visiting him while he's in MILDIV.

Here's what I know:
- Visiting hours are Sunday - 1-4(not sure about this one)

He needs a few things - uniform related and such. Is it okay just to bring those in with me during the visit and whatnot?

And pretty much any advice you can provide me with. I moved to SC after graduating and getting married in June. I don't know anyone here, and I CANNOT for the life of me find a job. So I'm alone in base housing with my animals and nothing to do. I don't know wth MILDIV means. I remember a reduction in rank and some other stuff but anything you can offer would be wonderful, seeing as he got mentioned by one of his friends like seven months ago and now that it's actually happening I CAN'T REMEMBER ANYTHING!

Thanks in advance :)

Jamie

( btw I tried to look for stuff about this in the forums but I didn't find much aside from the drinking @ NNPTC thread) so sorry if it's been posted already..
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2009, 03:44 by xmizeje »

withroaj

Re: mildiv @ nnptc
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2009, 03:27 »
It sounds to me like your husband went to Captain's Mast.  That means he'll probably be camping out on restriction for thirty to forty five days.  Consider it your first experience with him at sea.  This is a "short underway."  In a year or two he'll be gone for six to ten months.

You should be able to bring in cash just fine.

The rest of your question doesn't make too much sense.  Care to clarify?

Best of luck in your family's Navy adventure!

xmizeje

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2009, 03:46 »
It sounds to me like your husband went to Captain's Mast.  That means he'll probably be camping out on restriction for thirty to forty five days.  Consider it your first experience with him at sea.  This is a "short underway."  In a year or two he'll be gone for six to ten months.

You should be able to bring in cash just fine.

The rest of your question doesn't make too much sense.  Care to clarify?

Best of luck in your family's Navy adventure!

I edited.. basically just me asking about what I can bring in and whatnot..
And as for experience, that's how I'm treating it, most others have given me this advice, too.

Anyways, thank you :)

withroaj

« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2009, 05:23 »
When you visit you should be able to bring in any military and hygiene related materials he'll need (I'm surprised you are allowed to visit -- it's been some years since I went through and I'm not even sure what MILDIV is, but it sounds punitive).

One more note:  since you are young, newly married, and new to the area I strongly, STRONGLY recommend making some POSITIVE friends.  Look for couples in healthy relationships and stick with them.  Consider college, find a job, and find some positive hobbies.  He's getting into a game that's going to be top priority for a lot of the time.  He will be put into situations in which your needs will have to come second.  That isn't easy for many newlyweds, and it's important to know that you're going to encounter some serious strain on your relationship.  Keep your heads in the game and this will be a great experience for you both.

xmizeje

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2009, 06:41 »
When you visit you should be able to bring in any military and hygiene related materials he'll need (I'm surprised you are allowed to visit -- it's been some years since I went through and I'm not even sure what MILDIV is, but it sounds punitive).

One more note:  since you are young, newly married, and new to the area I strongly, STRONGLY recommend making some POSITIVE friends.  Look for couples in healthy relationships and stick with them.  Consider college, find a job, and find some positive hobbies.  He's getting into a game that's going to be top priority for a lot of the time.  He will be put into situations in which your needs will have to come second.  That isn't easy for many newlyweds, and it's important to know that you're going to encounter some serious strain on your relationship.  Keep your heads in the game and this will be a great experience for you both.

Okay, thank you so much for clearing that for me! :)

Thank you so much for the positive advice. I'm trying to make it easier for him to focus on everything Navy related. I'm hoping to start college in august but that doesn't seem to be working, so I'll start in January. I'm still adjusting to SC but I'm really eager to find new stuff to do :) Thanks again!

imthehoopa

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2009, 01:45 »
Yes, MILDIV is what happens to you after Captain's Mast. Basically, they are back in boot camp for up to 45 days. Instead of the lovely 2 to a room, 4 to a bathroom, fully furnished dorm rooms we have at A-school, they have 4 to a room, many to a bathroom, minimally furnished rooms. They muster in the morning for a daily uniform inspection, march to breakfast together (shouting the Navy Ethos, 11 General Orders, Sailors Creed, etc. instead of cadence), march back to do some landscaping, march to lunch, march back, more work, march to dinner, march back and do more work. Sometimes they carry sanbags back and forth, from one pallet to another, by the Bowman Center. They have to wear bright yellow safety vests at ALL TIMES so everyone knows that they are in trouble. They are not authorized civilian clothes, and are only allowed phone calls at certain times during the week in the BEQ phone room. Why do I know so much about them? My current BEQ room is around the corner from theirs and see them muster every morning on my way to class. I'm sure that they have to do more that I'm just not aware of, but that's my understanding of what their life is like.

On the other topic here... definitely follow the advice of withroaj. We only have one married guy in our class and his wife was having issues with the changes. She started making friends with neighbors, and other shipmate's wives. It's made her life much better while he's having to spend 15 hours a day with us in the classroom. I can't imagine that it's any easier due to the MILDIV situation. Good luck to you and your husband. He'll be done and back into classes in no time. He'll also probably be a better sailor than most after it's all over.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?