Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu MM2 with less than 1 month

Author Topic: MM2 with less than 1 month  (Read 9322 times)

Offline JohnnyD

• Very Lite User
MM2 with less than 1 month
« on: Aug 01, 2009, 12:32 »
Hey Everyone,

Long time reader first time poster!  So like my subject says I am going on terminal leave in less than 1 month.  I just got back from a deployment less than a month ago so that kind of hindered my job search.  Since I have been back I have put in over 20 applications for employment, but have not gotten a single reply.  I am getting out after my initial 6 year enlistment.  I am qualified Chief Reactor Watch.  I completed my BSAST in nuclear engineering technology from Thomas Edison.  I am currently working through Bradley-Morris, Lucas Group, and Orion.  I have my resume posted on this site and Monster.  I am not preferential to any specific area of the country.  I would like to work in the nuclear industry, but I would gladly consider other employment opportunities.  Several companies have contacted me to apply with them but when I do I do not get a reply.  My resume was finalized by the head hunter associates so I don't think my problem lies there.  I feel like everyone I know that has left the navy found gainful employment, so I am wondering where I have gone wrong?  Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

Offline Harley Rider

• Moderate User
Re: MM2 with less than 1 month
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2009, 01:09 »
I sent you a PM
Despite inflation, a penny is still a fair price for the thoughts of many people

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2009, 01:13 »
When it rains it pours. HR is cyclical. You just never know. Send a copy of your resume.

Jason

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2009, 11:51 »
Try giving Bartlett a call.  If nothing else, they may be able to find you something short-term this fall to help you bridge the gap while you're waiting for the other call-backs.
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

Offline Harley Rider

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2009, 02:38 »
When it rains it pours. HR is cyclical. You just never know. Send a copy of your resume.

Jason

I received your resume today and it will be in my supervisors desk on Monday. There is a PM with my phone number. Call me and lets discuss this and other options.
Despite inflation, a penny is still a fair price for the thoughts of many people

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2009, 03:15 »
I received your resume today and it will be in my supervisors desk on Monday. There is a PM with my phone number. Call me and lets discuss this and other options.

Dude you're all right in my book.

Mike

malcom188

« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2009, 01:59 »
I'm a Nuke ET getting out soon, also after 6 years.  What seemed to work for me, so far, was applying for jobs on the company's website.   I have had two interviews as a result.  The interviews went well.  Also, I have been to a couple career fairs.  These give you a chance to talk with a recruiter and while that doesn't guarantee you anything, it helps.  Hope this helps you out.

Also, I have a question of my own about Southern Company's hiring process.  I interviewed a few weeks ago and like I said, it went well.  They said I would hear something right around now, if at all.  Well, a couple days ago I got an email directing me to fill out an application, which included a release to do a background check.  I also received another email saying the application was for the position I just interviewed for.  I know this could mean a few different things, so I want to know if anyone else had some experience with this.  Thanks.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2009, 02:59 »
  Well, a couple days ago I got an email directing me to fill out an application, which included a release to do a background check. 

Background checks cost money, so it shows they have some interest in you. Looks good so far!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #8 on: Aug 02, 2009, 04:27 »
I'm a Nuke ET getting out soon, also after 6 years.  What seemed to work for me, so far, was applying for jobs on the company's website.   I have had two interviews as a result.  The interviews went well.  Also, I have been to a couple career fairs.  These give you a chance to talk with a recruiter and while that doesn't guarantee you anything, it helps.  Hope this helps you out.

Also, I have a question of my own about Southern Company's hiring process.  I interviewed a few weeks ago and like I said, it went well.  They said I would hear something right around now, if at all.  Well, a couple days ago I got an email directing me to fill out an application, which included a release to do a background check.  I also received another email saying the application was for the position I just interviewed for.  I know this could mean a few different things, so I want to know if anyone else had some experience with this.  Thanks.

Yes I agree with what Dave said. Also, don't be afraid to give em a ring!

Justin

malcom188

« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2009, 06:09 »
Thanks guys for replying.  I did email the recruiter and he's the one who told me the application was for the position I interviewed for, and not something else he was working on.  I applied for that job online but I've also been talking with the recruiter about other opportunities.  I'm trying not to jump to conclusions, but I am definitely excited.

Offline xforcehunter

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Aug 02, 2009, 10:03 »
.....I'm trying not to jump to conclusions, but I am definitely excited.
  It's pretty sweet to think about having a life outside the Navy, eh?  I get more and more excited every day.  I have two months till my start date.  Can't wait!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2009, 01:11 »
 It's pretty sweet to think about having a life outside the Navy, eh?  I get more and more excited every day.  I have two months till my start date.  Can't wait!

Ya I thought that the day I checked out of the Navy, that I would feel a big change. But I just felt... weird. I felt weird for a few days, and then all of the sudden, this overwhelming feeling of joy washed over me and I shouted OMFG! I OUT OF THE NAVY!!!  8) ;D

So it might take a bit to sink in. :)

Justin
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2009, 06:13 by JustinHEMI »

Offline JohnnyD

• Very Lite User
« Reply #12 on: Aug 06, 2009, 04:19 »
The head hunters are setting up some job fairs with wind power and medical jobs they think would fit my credentials.  I might just try to go to college and bank on the G.I. bill until some more NLO positions become available. Nuclear power plants seem to have a better career path than these other industries.   

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #13 on: Aug 06, 2009, 06:15 »
You should PM me. I know of several plants in my fleet hiring NLOs and I can hand deliver your resume.

Justin

Offline JohnnyD

• Very Lite User
« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2009, 02:43 »
Hey Everybody,

Just thought I would update.  I am out of the Navy now.  I am still hot on the job search and not getting too much response from employers.  Duke wrote me a month ago saying they will schedule me for a POSS test.  Hopefully that will work out because FPL, Excellon, Entergy, Southern Company, and Constellation aren't responding.  I am beginning to wonder if it is the job market or my approach?

Jon

bgist

« Reply #15 on: Sep 15, 2009, 06:21 »
Are you looking in just one area of the country or all over?  Also, are you just interested in the nuclear industry or have you looked in other power generation industries, or non-utility type of industries like manufacturing?

Offline Adam Grundleger

• Moderate User
« Reply #16 on: Sep 16, 2009, 09:39 »
If you send me your resume, cover letter and references, I can forward it all to my supervisor.  PM me if you're interested.

M1Ark

« Reply #17 on: Sep 16, 2009, 10:00 »
Well, a couple days ago I got an email directing me to fill out an application, which included a release to do a background check.  I also received another email saying the application was for the position I just interviewed for.  I know this could mean a few different things, so I want to know if anyone else had some experience with this.  Thanks.

This means they are looking to hire you.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?