Career Path > NRC

Power Plant Union Questions [Merged]

<< < (4/7) > >>

rabbit:
Worked at Clinton.  Liked it there.  Needed roller skates but sometimes that's the way it goes.

As far as the union goes, I liked getting more money for the work.  The pay rates vary so much from plant to plant that when you can get double bubble at the union plant, it can make up for the shortfalls elsewhere.  That wasn't the case at Oyster Creek tho (if I remember right).  Pay your dues but no representation.  I think Clinton's union might have done more for the tech.

Had a higher rate of pay at Quad also but not as good as Clinton.  That's the price you pay for dose I guess.

lowlrc:
Dainjer, my mistake, I shouldn’t have   categorized all the union workers as a-hole. But I will tell you that the house people at Dresden, Zion, LaSalle and Braidwood wore the most miserable bunch of people I have every worked with. As for the contractors they for the most part were fine, fitter, carps, tin knockers and most of the laborers all a bunch of nice guys. The last time I was there the group of laborers I worked around were a bunch of thugs. They threatened people and destroyed people’s property. That’s basically when I lost all respect for the union.

DainJer:
I'll give ya LaSalle, and a few at Braidwood...Quad had some really helpful housetechs...this is no small feat for that plant.

Byron (my home plant) has a few Techs that seem to be stuck up, but we work with the Bartlett techs and they are a damn good bunch.

The clinton techs were OK, although I grew tired of waiting for hours to have a shoe deconned a few times.

Dresden had a chem tech that was simply a dream (if your blonde and a chemtech at dresden just smile) I had no problems with the techs there.
My first time working and first day of the outage I got grilled by a long haired, bushy bearded tech for 5 minutes on my dosimeter settings, what the area survey said about smearable etc...he walked away happy.

I am a Carpenter by trade, and realize that a few Union A**es give many of us a bad name. Also, most Union people do not get the background and inside knowledge that this site provides, if they did....the working relationship between trades and techs would be greatly improved.

Surveyors_mato:
Being a union affiliated person also, the problem as I see it is in the people coming in some with no respect for anyone, anything or the job. Pride in ones craft leads to real pride respect for others as well.
  We could use one in the contract tech field but I'm not holding my breath.

cerpico:
tONY,
uNIONS IN GENERAL ARE NOT BAD I would stay away from any union associated with a southeast  nuclear plant owner beginning with th letters FP and having a local leader by the name of R C*****. This is a company union. One opinion

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version