Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Power Plant Union Questions [Merged] honeypot

Author Topic: Power Plant Union Questions [Merged]  (Read 35218 times)

tonynuke

Power Plant Union Questions [Merged]
« on: Apr 26, 2004, 05:29 »
I am looking for the lowdown on power plant unions, specifically in my case ... at the northern IL Exelon plants, from a house persons point of view.  Good deal, bad deal, or really doesnt matter?  I appreciate all input. 

P.S. If anyone who works/has worked at one of these plants sees this ... drop me a message with a little info about the area if ya dont mind.

Have a great day! :)

swanssong

Re: Power plant unions???
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2004, 10:22 »
Tonynuke, Wake up and take a look around you. The legislature that this Bush administration is shoving down the workers throats isn't exactly good for the people who work without representation. You are far better off working under a contract than without.

Offline DJ@Retired

• Moderate User
  • Just Win Baby! Well Maybe Next Year!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2004, 11:51 »
I like to reply to this. but my Karma might take a big hit again. All I'll say is buy American. God Bless DJ :)
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2004, 05:24 by DJ@Clinton »
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A great friend will be sitting next to you saying "Dam, that was Fun"

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2004, 12:05 »
+Karma Tonynuke,
This could be a hot topic!

Specific information should come from the knowledgeable sources: PM DJ@Clinton for the private details.

DJ, I was car shopping the other day. Should I buy a Honda built in Alabama or a Chrysler made in Mexico? I just want to support my fellow American workers!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2004, 02:34 »
+Karma Tonynuke,

Specific information should come from the knowledgeable sources: PM DJ@Clinton for the private details.

DJ, I was car shopping the other day. Should I buy a Honda built in Alabama or a Chrysler made in Mexico? I just want to support my fellow American workers!

Just buy a Dodge made in Missouri and you'll be OK!!   ;)
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

doctormoo

« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2004, 11:38 »
buy a nissan made in mississippi

radgal

« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2004, 01:09 »
Worked just about all the old ComEd now Exelon plants on the contractor side and ex was LTC.  From what I know, House union guys do make some good green and usually get to do shared resource outages for more green.  I believe the benes are good but don't know details.  I'd take a house job for them.

moke

« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2004, 02:05 »
Your union is only as good as it's representation and their upper tier connections such as the Teamsters whom I feel have one of the best.

Many know about the IBEW and how they got many to buy-in to an illegal introduction with the power arena. There should have been a national vote first to be legal yet this so called organization was'nt as good as many thought. Many RCT s jumped on the Band wagon without doing their homework and ended up eating Crow!

I have noticed today that many of the stronger union organizations still compromise their membership caving in on various issues.

I worked for two years here in NY with Local 138 (Operators) and their Delegate Jim was very knowledgable and knew how to cover his members and did a fine job. They carry a nice big stick here and the type I would consider joining, at the same time, there will always be small inconsistencies to deal with. We have heavy hitters here in NY and I like the Teamsters since they have many professional attributes and horse power behind the scenes to boot.

Have an Awesome Week!

Moke

ramdog_1

« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2004, 02:25 »
I geuss they have there places and are good for those who are in them, like bennys and stuff.

lowlrc

« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2004, 05:10 »
If you like stagnating air, tornadoes sirens, old style beer and bad food you'll like the surrounding area. One a positive note, the people for the most part, are great. The plants themselves, on a scale of one to ten rate a one (one being the lowest) and the low rating is due to the fact that the union workers are the biggest bunch of a-holes I have ever worked with.

Offline DJ@Retired

• Moderate User
  • Just Win Baby! Well Maybe Next Year!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 27, 2004, 05:30 »
Good Question Tide! How about the pants your wear or the sneaker you play ball in. Even better the gas you put in your car! I'd buy the Honda!
+Karma Tonynuke,

« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2004, 05:31 by DJ@Clinton »
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A great friend will be sitting next to you saying "Dam, that was Fun"

EdwardR

« Reply #11 on: Apr 27, 2004, 06:11 »
This post is appropriate to begin a thread in the Donors area only.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=2129

---ROLL TIDE
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2004, 06:43 by Roll Tide »

tonynuke

« Reply #12 on: Apr 27, 2004, 06:15 »
Wow, talk about a can of worms! 

DainJer

« Reply #13 on: Apr 27, 2004, 10:02 »
If you like stagnating air, tornadoes sirens, old style beer and bad food you'll like the surrounding area. One a positive note, the people for the most part, are great. The plants themselves, on a scale of one to ten rate a one (one being the lowest) and the low rating is due to the fact that the union workers are the biggest bunch of a-holes I have ever worked with.

Is this all Unions..or Most...be more specific about the plant and the Trade...please.

Cause I could be one of those A**holes :)

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #14 on: Apr 27, 2004, 11:08 »
Wow, talk about a can of worms! 

Actually, it is the tip of the iceberg. This thread is in danger of being moved to PolySci, which is a "Donors only" area.

That's why I suggested a Personal Message.

On the other hand, each site has a thread dedicated to "Rate a site", "Talk about a site", and our latest addition "Local flavor". Particular information on each site can be found on those threads, and many are willing to respond to those general questions when it regards a particular site!

Get the information you need, then pursue your goals!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

rabbit

« Reply #15 on: Apr 28, 2004, 12:39 »
Worked at Clinton.  Liked it there.  Needed roller skates but sometimes that's the way it goes.

As far as the union goes, I liked getting more money for the work.  The pay rates vary so much from plant to plant that when you can get double bubble at the union plant, it can make up for the shortfalls elsewhere.  That wasn't the case at Oyster Creek tho (if I remember right).  Pay your dues but no representation.  I think Clinton's union might have done more for the tech.

Had a higher rate of pay at Quad also but not as good as Clinton.  That's the price you pay for dose I guess.

lowlrc

« Reply #16 on: Apr 28, 2004, 09:51 »
Dainjer, my mistake, I shouldn’t have   categorized all the union workers as a-hole. But I will tell you that the house people at Dresden, Zion, LaSalle and Braidwood wore the most miserable bunch of people I have every worked with. As for the contractors they for the most part were fine, fitter, carps, tin knockers and most of the laborers all a bunch of nice guys. The last time I was there the group of laborers I worked around were a bunch of thugs. They threatened people and destroyed people’s property. That’s basically when I lost all respect for the union.

DainJer

« Reply #17 on: Apr 28, 2004, 04:23 »
I'll give ya LaSalle, and a few at Braidwood...Quad had some really helpful housetechs...this is no small feat for that plant.

Byron (my home plant) has a few Techs that seem to be stuck up, but we work with the Bartlett techs and they are a damn good bunch.

The clinton techs were OK, although I grew tired of waiting for hours to have a shoe deconned a few times.

Dresden had a chem tech that was simply a dream (if your blonde and a chemtech at dresden just smile) I had no problems with the techs there.
My first time working and first day of the outage I got grilled by a long haired, bushy bearded tech for 5 minutes on my dosimeter settings, what the area survey said about smearable etc...he walked away happy.

I am a Carpenter by trade, and realize that a few Union A**es give many of us a bad name. Also, most Union people do not get the background and inside knowledge that this site provides, if they did....the working relationship between trades and techs would be greatly improved.

Surveyors_mato

« Reply #18 on: Apr 30, 2004, 04:42 »
Being a union affiliated person also, the problem as I see it is in the people coming in some with no respect for anyone, anything or the job. Pride in ones craft leads to real pride respect for others as well.
  We could use one in the contract tech field but I'm not holding my breath.

cerpico

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2004, 07:29 »
tONY,
uNIONS IN GENERAL ARE NOT BAD I would stay away from any union associated with a southeast  nuclear plant owner beginning with th letters FP and having a local leader by the name of R C*****. This is a company union. One opinion
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 07:58 by Roll Tide »

rawtech

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2004, 01:05 »
I'll give ya LaSalle, and a few at Braidwood...Quad had some really helpful housetechs...this is no small feat for that plant.

Byron (my home plant) has a few Techs that seem to be stuck up, but we work with the Bartlett techs and they are a damn good bunch.

The clinton techs were OK, although I grew tired of waiting for hours to have a shoe deconned a few times.

Dresden had a chem tech that was simply a dream (if your blonde and a chemtech at dresden just smile) I had no problems with the techs there.
My first time working and first day of the outage I got grilled by a long haired, bushy bearded tech for 5 minutes on my dosimeter settings, what the area survey said about smearable etc...he walked away happy.

I am a Carpenter by trade, and realize that a few Union A**es give many of us a bad name. Also, most Union people do not get the background and inside knowledge that this site provides, if they did....the working relationship between trades and techs would be greatly improved.
Hey Dainjer, I think you may have been speaking about me. (the description of the tech in question kinda sounded like me.) If it was me, I hope I didn't give you too hard of a time. Just doin my job you know.                                                       rawtech

DainJer

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2004, 03:30 »
If memory serves me it was above the ?recirc. pumps on the left side of containment, down the stairs...you can't miss the big pumps that stick up into the floor on either side.

It's never a hassle to have techs ask questions, your ensuring that I can handle any situation that has occured or might occur. Understanding your surroundings is half the battle when working....especially at Dresden/Quad.

Although I still hold it against someone in Rad Control for having me work in the torus in full dress while building ladders and racks for the divers standing behind us in booties and gloves, while dragging screaming air hoses :)

Was also the first plant that ever sprayed static guard on my hard hat everytime I entered the plant.
Although we still alarmed 60% of the time.

rawtech

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2004, 04:24 »
Dresden-reactor bldg.                                                           Quad-I worked just about everywhere                                                                   I agree that both of those plants were a whole new experience for me. I like what I do & I like the fact that I may be able to keep someone from taking the sh*t home with them to their families, or help them avoid receiving more dose than they need to. Dres. made me feel like an RP. Quad on the other hand, made me feel like they needed me there to only fill a quota. (Don't even think about having a concern.) Basically being told " If you have a problem in this or that area, what we will do is move you from that area. Not fix the problem". It'll be quite a long time(if ever) before Quad sees my resume again. Nothing against the construction trades, or the contract techs., but I can't work with blinders on. Which is what the people in charge there expect. Oh well plenty of other plants out there. Take care, and be safe,                                   rawtech
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 04:34 by rawtech »

nuc

« Reply #23 on: Jul 20, 2004, 02:39 »
I am looking for the lowdown on power plant unions, specifically in my case ... at the northern IL Exelon plants, from a house persons point of view.  Good deal, bad deal, or really doesnt matter?  I appreciate all input. 

P.S. If anyone who works/has worked at one of these plants sees this ... drop me a message with a little info about the area if ya dont mind.

Have a great day! :)

I may be working at the Dresden plant in maintenance. I was a navy nuc and am wondering about the plant and the unions
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2004, 02:40 by nuc »

DainJer

« Reply #24 on: Jul 20, 2004, 10:09 »
Anything close to Chicago is fairly high cost of living.
From the "Carpenter" side...the unions in that area tend to be a bit overzealous.

I liked the plant, but didn't like dealing with all the gas that seemed to cling to you everytime you wanted to scan out.

If you like the Gambling boats, you have a few to pick from that are fairly close.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2004, 10:10 by DainJer »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?