Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke MM1 RCT "A" Qual getting out...

Author Topic: Nuke MM1 RCT "A" Qual getting out...  (Read 6441 times)

RadConRanger

Nuke MM1 RCT "A" Qual getting out...
« on: Aug 12, 2009, 10:58 »
We're in San Diego and I could stay here with either Puget or Portsmouth employment as an RCT, but  COL is horrible.  I've got ~150 days left and have applied @ Palo Verde a couple times. 
I'm QA qualed too, anyone have any ideas or know about openings?  I've cruised through the forum a while too, there's lots of good stuff here so I'll definitely be back.
Any help/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
John
MM1/SS

Offline bradley535

• Light User
  • My employer found me at NukeWorker.com
Re: Nuke MM1 RCT "A" Qual getting out...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2009, 02:24 »
Hello,

There are a lot of jobs out there, but what you may not know is that in order to get them you have to have impeccable timing or a willingness to relocate. True, almost every station is hiring people. True, almost every nuclear job is pretty much being hired. However, not every station is hiring every nuclear job.

When I was getting out I put in over 10 applications a week for four months. Out of those applications I got about 20 phone interviews. Out of those interviews I got six followup interviews at the sites. Out of those interviews I got four job offers. Now I will admit that a few of the early phone interviews fell through because I wasn't interested in the job they were pitching me, but that still leaves about one phone interview per week of applications (Or one for ten, if you prefer).

Also keep in mind that there is a delay period between application and contact. When I put out an application I never got called back about it until a good three months later. So don't get disheartened because of delays, especially since you aren't out yet. Many companies won't try to contact you until you are less than a month from EAOS; due to people changing their minds and reenlisting.

Go ahead and also throw out some blanket resumes at job-hunter sites. In the end, it was my resume here at Nukeworker that got me the job I currently have. My advice is to keep posting applications in mass quantities to all positions that you think sound desirable to increase the odds of finding the right job for you.

Good luck and keep us posted,
       Bradley

PS- As an additional hint, many online applications have very similar elements. In order to streamline your application process, keep a word document with a list of your skills, qualifications, education background, and answers to questions that you will find keep cropping up in the application process. Having something to cut and paste from makes filling out an application much quicker.

co60slr

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2009, 06:37 »
We're in San Diego and I could stay here with either Puget or Portsmouth employment as an RCT, but  COL is horrible.  I've got ~150 days left and have applied @ Palo Verde a couple times. 
I'm QA qualed too, anyone have any ideas or know about openings?  I've cruised through the forum a while too, there's lots of good stuff here so I'll definitely be back.

Why are you limiting yourself to one plant?  Who's building new plants?  Who's hiring for initial crit in 2-3 years?  Why RADCON vs. OPS?  Etc.

If you want to do RADCON/RCT, then you have options at most of the naval shipyards, I'd wager (not just PNS or PSNS).  If you want RADCON at a DOE site (e.g., Hanford, Los Alamos, Oak Ridge), opportunities are there most likely.  Commercial RADCON?  Perhaps.  Are you 3 years EWS?

My advice (based on your limited post):  you're limiting yourself.  Time to "think outside the box" and have fun with a job search!

RadConRanger

« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2009, 01:48 »
Why are you limiting yourself to one plant?  Who's building new plants?  Who's hiring for initial crit in 2-3 years?  Why RADCON vs. OPS?  Etc.

If you want to do RADCON/RCT, then you have options at most of the naval shipyards, I'd wager (not just PNS or PSNS).  If you want RADCON at a DOE site (e.g., Hanford, Los Alamos, Oak Ridge), opportunities are there most likely.  Commercial RADCON?  Perhaps.  Are you 3 years EWS?

My advice (based on your limited post):  you're limiting yourself.  Time to "think outside the box" and have fun with a job search!

This is an excellent reply. I am somewhat limiting myself as RadCon is something I've found I really enjoy.  I actually really like where I'm at-the people especially- and wouldn't mind staying.  But Cali is kinda going to hell in a hand basket and the taxes and the taxes and the teeny weensy houses for ridiculous amounts of money...
Sorry, I get carried away.
I am interested in AZ as I have found one of my vocational interests to be photography.  I would like to stay in the Southwestern area to serve the SoCal area with weddings and such.  I also like the price of a house in Buckeye AZ vs Chula Vista CA.  Thuisly Palo Verde is an excellent place to facilitate those desires.  I'm not against conventional power either because (as most here know); if it boils water I can  make it work. Of coiurse i will not be putting my eggs in one basket though. I've applied to some shipyard gigs in San Diego, though they were on the skimmer side of things, non-nuke as well. 

To answer another question, I am not EWS... Shipyard periods change command "priorities" if you know what I mean.  My quals "stopped" in the yard and I left the ship from there so... no EWS.  That has kinda hurt in the school dept too.

Thanks for the great replies.  I totally appreciate it.  Cheers

Offline Adam Grundleger

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2009, 09:26 »
I posted this a couple of times, but my company has spots open for independent third party inspectors, emphasis on welding, NDE, QA/QC audits.  PM me and I can help you tailor a resume and get you ready for an interview.  I'm not a recruiter, but my company needs to fill these spots.  Since this part of the industry has such a low profile, it's hard to get applicants.  PM me for details. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?