Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Lots of Rad Tech Jobs
honeypot

Author Topic: Lots of Rad Tech Jobs  (Read 17035 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Lots of Rad Tech Jobs
« on: Aug 11, 2009, 09:56 »
I've noticed a LOT of Rad Tech Jobs posted lately.  I've hear some places are trying to pay $18/hr, and others are paying $34/hr

Whats the scoop?  What have you heard?  Have you committed to your fall schedule?  Are you... waiting?

Offline iiiisx349

• Moderate User
  • i love fishing
Re: Lots of Rad Tech Jobs
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2009, 11:14 »
i would love to get called for a job in the nuke business again  i keep calling i dont know what else to do i left in late 90's as a jr but i forgot everything now i think  i might have to start at deconning but i just want in any other ideas i can do?i keep emailing them to keep my name fresh

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2009, 06:55 »
i would love to get called for a job in the nuke business again  i keep calling i dont know what else to do i left in late 90's as a jr but i forgot everything now i think  i might have to start at deconning but i just want in any other ideas i can do?i keep emailing them to keep my name fresh

It's too easy to delete an email - use the phone.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2009, 08:53 »
I've noticed a LOT of Rad Tech Jobs posted lately.  I've hear some places are trying to pay $18/hr, and others are paying $34/hr

Whats the scoop?  What have you heard?  Have you committed to your fall schedule?  Are you... waiting?

I'm not swinging a meter right now, but definitely keeping an eye on the rising pay!  :)

What's the scoop on the DOE/stimulus jobs?  Will they keep a significant portion of the supply of techs tied up for a number of years? ...or is this fall a fluke, with prices leveling out or falling after the outage season?
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2009, 11:22 »
I believe the stimulus money will keep people employed for at least a year.

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2009, 02:39 »
Yeah, that's what I normally do when there are hundreds of job openings in my industry.
Question it and then put a negative spin on it.
Yes, I hope everyone loses their job too...... ::)

I would say a realistic spin on it.  Yep, lots of temporary jobs open up now, but is it just going to create another issue when the money dries up later with more unemployment.  The idea that there is any sense of permanancy to positions created with stimulus funds is laughable.  What is needed is sustainable development, not a temporary panacea. ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2009, 02:40 by stormgoalie »
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2009, 03:22 »
There are folks that I used to work with that have been on "temporary" jobs for over 5 years. No job is permanent anymore. We are a transient society, with changing goals, jobs, locations.

As much as I hate the debt load the nation is carrying, I am glad that the DOE work is opening up a bit. Maybe some of my old roadie pals can get a bit of a rest for a year or two before they go back to outages...

I enjoyed the heck out of RFETS, and never looked at it as permanent. I expect that any roadies that go to SRS and Oak Ridge will pretty much do the same. They may change their minds depending upon the opportunities that present themselves.

Something might shake out regarding outage wages, but if not, the industry will manage. RPs are not critical to actual work, just to meeting dose and contamination milestones.  :D
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2009, 06:00 »
Was I the one coming across as negative?  Sorry...didn't mean it that way...

I was an RP rent-a-tech for several years.  For multiple reasons, including the stagnant pay, I re-trained to a different specialty.  If contract RP technician pay was to rise to the same level as most other nuclear technicians/trades, I would definitely consider going back on the road.  However, I would want that pay increase to be permanent...thus the question about the stimulus money and it's long-term effects...

(I'm on the commercial side right now, so don't have any feel for what's happening in DOE in recent years...was hoping some of you still on that side could look in your crystal balls!)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2009, 07:44 »
It appears that some previous posts on this topic have been unceremoniously deleted.

Did you miss the deletion ceremony? It was a great party... we were up all night. I had a hangover for days!
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 13, 2009, 09:56 »
Did you miss the deletion ceremony? It was a great party... we were up all night. I had a hangover for days!

Must have had some virgin daiquiris at that party.....

Was I the one coming across as negative?  Sorry...didn't mean it that way...

It was directed at nukeman, not you UB. The fact is that every DOE site is experiencing a renaissance of jobs and money and prosperity. The mere mention of building a nuclear plant in Piketon, OH made alot of people turn their heads and smile when they were once filled with anti-nuke sentiment in Southern Ohio. Oak Ridge, SRS and Hanford are the biggest winners so far. I am supervising two FUSRAP sites in Northern Ohio from now until the end of 2011. That would be work in the future, right?

Everyone has this stigma attached to the ARRA because if they say anything good about it, they feel like they will be attacked as supporters of the current administration. If people would look beyond that and embrace what they are getting, instead of looking the gift horse in the mouth. When the last administration formed the Global Nuclear Energy Partnership and poured billions into it, I didn't complain. My checking account knows no strangers.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #10 on: Aug 13, 2009, 11:17 »
I actually awarded the current administration 4 out of 5 stars for clean-up work initiatives  b-------t!! heheheheheh,.... ;)

As I rarely work as a rad tech anymore, I will now step aside for those that do,... :)

I don't swing a meter anymore either Bro, but I like to see the ones that do get paid.....;)

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 13, 2009, 11:27 »
I've been trying for months to get a position.  I keep getting phone calls from all kinds of companies, most I've never heard of before.  But they all say they are submitting me, yet I've heard nothing.  Now, if my husband wanted to go DOE, I'm sure they would call him in a heartbeat with an offer... but he doesn't want to go that route.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #12 on: Aug 13, 2009, 12:04 »
I would say a realistic spin on it.  Yep, lots of temporary jobs open up now, but is it just going to create another issue when the money dries up later with more unemployment.  The idea that there is any sense of permanancy to positions created with stimulus funds is laughable.  What is needed is sustainable development, not a temporary panacea. ;D

Boy, you hit it right on the head. Stimulus packages so far are nothing more than a band aid. Just like the stimulus money to fix roads etc. It keeps people working for a bit, but if you are not producing revenue in some way, it will eventually canabalize it self. If some of the money could go toward incentives for utilities to build new plants, it would help create sustainable jobs.

I will say that at least Obama is creating jobs, even if it is short sighted a bit. Bush just simply sent people money and then claimed that we were out of the woods when he saw a sales spike due to the money that was given to the public. Until we revamp trade agreements and  start producing things here again, I don't see how we are going to have sustained growth (or recovery). But hey, if the jobs are there and they are good deals, take advantage of them. If there is a shortage of techs in the industry, good time to push for the wages we all deserve.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2009, 03:46 »
This thread is not titled "Stimulus Package".  Please refrain from talking about that, as it is NOT the topic at hand.

It seems no one is actually interested in talking about all the "Rad Techs Jobs" being posted, so I will close this thread.  You may go to the Poli-Sci area to talk about your political issues with the Current administration.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?