Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ME degree with Nuclear minor  

Author Topic: ME degree with Nuclear minor  (Read 5617 times)

dapperengineer

ME degree with Nuclear minor
« on: Aug 17, 2009, 07:32 »
Hello. I am in my senior year of Mechanical Engineering at Virginia Tech. VT is offering nuclear engineering courses which I'm taking for my technical electives. If I take 18 hours in the fall and spring, I'll have a BSME degree with an NE minor. I also have a degree in English from another university. (yeah yeah, professional student, heard it before)

What I would like to know is what an ME degree with an NE minor is worth in the nuclear industry and what kind of job I'd be able to get. Another thing I'm curious about is how choosy I can be about where to live. The main company that hires VT graduates with this background is Dominion, whose main nuclear presence is in VA. My girlfriend is insistent that we live within driving distance of NYC, so I was wondering if there were any nuclear companies in that area I should be looking at.

Thanks for any advice!

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: ME degree with Nuclear minor
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2009, 08:33 »
Have you considered working for the government?

http://www.knollslab.com/careers.html
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

dapperengineer

« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2009, 08:41 »
Define "driving distance to NYC".

In the neighborhood of 2 hours. I've been considering applying for Exelon in Philadelphia.

Offline Hraesvelg

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2009, 11:09 »
My girlfriend is insistent that we live within driving distance of NYC, so I was wondering if there were any nuclear companies in that area I should be looking at.

You should be looking for a new girlfriend.

Offline Hraesvelg

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2009, 11:43 »
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, only he has to live with the fall out.

IMO NOB,... ;)

(Not our business)

;D It just reminded me of when my wife and I bought a house a few years back she wanted it to be close to this restaurant she was a bartender at. So we got a place nearby... then she quit the job shortly after. lol

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2009, 11:41 »
The minor could also qualify you to get into a specialty like reactor engineering.  Many utilities have a rotational program for new engineers where for the first year or two you go from department to department every 6 months or so.  It's a good way to get to know what the different groups do. 

Some plants relatively close to NYC are Peach Bottom, Limerick, Oyster Creek, and Three Mile Island (Exelon), Indian Point and Pilgrim (Entergy), Susquehanna (PP&L), Millstone and Seabrook (Constellation).  Nine Mile Point, Ginna, and Fitzpatrick are in upstate NY, but I'm not sure how long the drive is.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?