Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Credit Union

Author Topic: Credit Union  (Read 3888 times)

Glowing_Since_09

Credit Union
« on: Aug 18, 2009, 03:11 »
I've searched the forums and there is practically no mention of the credit union. Now, wouldn't it be difficult to join the credit union ( first arriving at boot camp) because later you'll need credit cards such to spend the money? My question is, When you join the credit union, do they automatically send you a credit card that you'll receive at the end of boot camp or what? Because if that isn't the case, it would be easier to have an account established and have them deposit your money and you already got your credit cards and all.

withroaj

Re: Credit Union
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2009, 03:44 »
If you sign up for one of the credit unions offered in boot camp (Navy Federal or Armed Forces) you will have the card and be able to spend money by liberty weekend (the time between graduation and shipping to school).  If you elect to keep your hometown bank you will be able to sign up for direct deposit while in boot camp.

A word about Armed Forces Credit Union: I haven't seen a single branch or ATM in my time in the Navy, which has included being stationed or pulling into Pearl Harbor, Norfolk, Groton, Portsmouth NH, Brunswick ME, Guam, Charleston and Okinawa U.S. military bases.  If you want fee-free ATM access and local branches go with Navy Federal or Bank of America (BoA isn't offered at boot camp, you'll need to get an account before you join if you want it).

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2009, 04:08 »
I love Navy Fed.

Justin

itsaparent

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2009, 04:43 »
USAA is also good and has good car insurance rates.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2009, 05:37 »
Yup I use them for my home owners insurance.

Justn

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2009, 06:57 »
I agree with everyone.  USAA and Navy Federal are both great....not sure you can join USAA before you go to boot camp.

I bank with NFCU, but also maintain an account at USAA (USAA will send you postage paid free deposit envelopes, both will send you free checks ).

I have all my insurance...car, home owners, life through USAA.

Also, I get a nice discount on my home security system from ADT from USAA.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

withroaj

« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2009, 07:06 »
I'm starting to think we need to collect our NFCU/USAA advertisement checks.

itsaparent

« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2009, 11:35 »
If you had a parent in the military you can join USAA...it might even be extended to grandparents now.

Glowing_Since_09

« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2009, 03:18 »
well that's quite interesting because currently for my life i've used Bank Of America.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2009, 04:23 »
Go with what works for you. When I joined the Navy, I didn't have a bank account. At the time we had the option of the two up at Great Lakes, one was the Armed forces and I forget the other. As soon as I got to orlando for A school I joined NFCU. I love it for many reason but mostly I am just used to it now. I love their online banking and over the years, they have called me to be sure it was me using my card. In fact, I just got a new card in the mail because they suspected that a company that handles card transactions was compromised and to be safe, sent out new check cards!

I also like their interest rates on loans and ease of obtaining a loan, if necessary.

Justin
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2009, 04:25 by JustinHEMI »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?