Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu SSBN homeport San Diego

Author Topic: SSBN homeport San Diego  (Read 24856 times)

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
Re: SSBN homeport San Diego
« Reply #25 on: Sep 01, 2009, 11:45 »
I definately saw a boomer moored at SD Point Loma.  They were berthed on the other side of the pier and up a couple of berths.  Don't remember which one and wouldn't say if I did.

They didn't look really comfortable and I don't see how they could be accomodated long term there.  Not bad for a port call, though. 

Maybe not a "real" boomer, but SSGN's have visited and been serviced at Point Loma, the USS Georgia (SSGN-729) was there in 2004. 
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline Adam Grundleger

• Moderate User
« Reply #26 on: Sep 01, 2009, 12:19 »
No, it wasn't one of the gunships.  Definitely a boomer. Zero doubt.

It's kind of off topic, anyway.  They can pull in to lots of places not suited to being their homeport.  As far as boomer homeports go, I'm pretty sure that it's either Kings Bay or Bremerton.  Wasn't on a boomer so I didn't pay too much attention to them.  Ask me about a Pearl Harbor fast boat though...

Offline Adam Grundleger

• Moderate User
« Reply #27 on: Sep 01, 2009, 03:54 »
Off topic, but Subron 7, USS Los Angeles, 1978. 

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #28 on: Sep 09, 2010, 10:24 »
8)

we don't have a clapping emoticon,... ::)
[clap]

Well, we can finally cross THAT one off the to-do list...
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline NHSparky

• Light User
« Reply #29 on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:46 »
The report is true that only Fast Attacks are at Subase San Diego. The reason that was offered isn't accurate though. Nuclear weapons can, and have been carried by Nuc Subs at San Diego for years. The reason Ohio Class boats don't call San Diego home is the harbor area and pier arrangements at Subase can't support them. I am not sure which one it was, but when I was on the Pogy in SD, an Ohio Class boat did make a port visit to SD, but it had to tie up at North Island Naval Air Station where the CVN's tie up. The pier and keel depth of the Ohio boats requires that much size.

No Ka Oi, little Pogster!  I managed to get off there just before the Icex in 1996.

However, IIRC, none of the T-hulls made port calls to SD while I was stationed there.  Outside that timeframe, maybe.
Also available in SOBER!

Offline knockld

• Very Lite User
« Reply #30 on: Oct 11, 2010, 01:51 »
The southern most pier (closest to the ocean) can accomidate an OHIO Class sub.  SSBN will not spend the night, unless broken, usually just come in to drop off and take on the MIDN during the summer time.  GEORGIA wasn't an SSGN in 2004 as of yet.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?