Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Anyone who has Heat and Power Engineering degree from abroad?

Author Topic: Anyone who has Heat and Power Engineering degree from abroad?  (Read 9448 times)

Offline say78

• Light User
I graduated with Master's degree in Heat and Power Engineering from Odessa State Polytechnic University in the Ukraine nine years ago. My specialization was in water chemistry. I don't have any work experience but a lot of hours in university's lab titrating ;D.
I am a US citizen and admitted into a Nuclear Power Generation graduate certificate program at ASU ( I felt that I needed to update/refresh my knowledge; my classes start next Jan.).
So my question is: what minimum skills/knowledge one has to have in order to apply (and be hired) for a tech position at a nuclear power plant?
I would appreciate any input, help or an opinion.
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2009, 07:56 by say78 »

Offline say78

• Light User
Operations does sound like a great career path. Thanks for your advice, Tim.
Do you know anyone who has been hired by a power plant with engineering degree from another country? Russia or Ukraine for example? Or the degree would have to be from a national or regional accredited institution in the US (giving that citizenship and clearance requirements are met)?
How does the hiring process work? Any tests/ exams one has to take before actually being hired?
Thanks in advance.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Do you know anyone who has been hired by a power plant with engineering degree from another country? Russia or Ukraine for example?

Yes,one of my friends at SONGS had a similar situation, and is an engineer now. Anything is possible, but it is always easier to get started in Operations.

Have a look at:

https://de.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl

Offline say78

• Light User
Thanks Tim and HydroDave! There is a lot of usefull info on this forum, just need to spend time reading all the posts! ;)
Looks like everyone needs to take POSS to get in operations.
Update: Found a great topic on POSS. Ton of great info and had most of my questions answered. I love this forum and thankful to everyone who took time to post an answer/suggestion and shared their personal experience from working in the industry. 
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2009, 10:22 by say78 »

Fermi2

I know a lot of great individuals in this industry who were educated overseas. Shouldn't be an issue.

Mike

M1Ark

We have an Aux Operator with an engineering degree from Poland.  He is a decent operator.  What he struggles with the most is his accent.  Sounds unintelligible on the radio at times.

You say you're starting at ASU.  What school are you referring to?

Offline say78

• Light User
Hey, I'm from Ukraine so my accent is heavy too. But most people seem to understand what I try to communicate to them. ::) I will be starting Nuclear Power Generation graduate certificate program at Ira Fulton School of Electrical Engineering in January, 2010.  
I feel more confident now applying for a job knowing that there are other people in the industry who have an engineering degree from a different country. 
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2009, 10:10 by say78 »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Hey, I'm from Ukraine so my accent is heavy too. But most people seem to understand what I try to communicate to them. ::) I will be starting Nuclear Power Generation graduate certificate program at Ira Fulton School of Electrical Engineering in January, 2010. 

Funny you sound just fine to me... Sorry I couldn't pass that one up  ;) .

Fermi2

M1Ark,

Remember Alex K? That real smart Instrument Engineer at Fermi? He was Ukrainian.

Mike

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Since you're an engineer already, you might also apply for some engineering jobs at some plants.  Pretty much everyone is looking for engineers as well, given the expected upcoming wave of retirements over the next few years.  Our plant has a significant number of engineers who were educated overseas.

Offline say78

• Light User
My problem is that I have theoretical knowledge but no working experience. Everyone seems to want an engineer with at least few years of prior experience of working in the relating field. Can a college graduate with Master's degree in Engineering be hired as an engineer in the US? That practice is highly unusual in the Ukraine. First, a graduate works as a tech for at least a year. Then, he or she has to pass couple of tests/exams before one can be promoted to an engineer (giving there is an opening of course). I understand that there are a lot of differences in how Power Plants are run out here comparing to the Ukraine (policies, requirements, standards, etc.). So can one expect to get some kind of training when first starting to work at a power plant either as a tech or an engineer?

stownsend

One of our chemist in the Isotope Production Facility is a Ukranian. We have have to buy him a beer on Ukranian Independance Day four times a year. ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2009, 04:17 by stownsend »

Offline say78

• Light User
Just be happy he is not russian; you'd be buying vodka then! ;)

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
My problem is that I have theoretical knowledge but no working experience. Everyone seems to want an engineer with at least few years of prior experience of working in the relating field. Can a college graduate with Master's degree in Engineering be hired as an engineer in the US? That practice is highly unusual in the Ukraine. First, a graduate works as a tech for at least a year. Then, he or she has to pass couple of tests/exams before one can be promoted to an engineer (giving there is an opening of course). I understand that there are a lot of differences in how Power Plants are run out here comparing to the Ukraine (policies, requirements, standards, etc.). So can one expect to get some kind of training when first starting to work at a power plant either as a tech or an engineer?

This shouldn't be a problem.  Lab experience counts for at least something.  Also, in the US it is not unusual for someone to go straight from getting their BS degree to grad school.  Thus, people with an MS degree and minimal experience are not anything unusual.

Offline say78

• Light User
There is a similar process to be registered as a "Professional Engineer" (Commonly termed PE) with your State of residence; The process may vary from state to state. In Arkansas, I believe the process is, a new engineering graduate must pass an FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) exam, then become a registered PEIT (Professional Engineer In-Training); after a period of time (a few years) and some experience they will be allowed to sit for the PE exam. Upon successful completion of the PE exam, the engineer will receive his designation and seal..you can be an engineer and perform engineering work without a PE, however, in many cases, the client may require the engineer to be a PE..
Thanks for the info. My academic advisor mentioned about similar process in AZ. I will need to do more research on the subject and keep it in mind when I finally figure out how I want my career to develop.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?