Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Gay Operators honeypot

Author Topic: Gay Operators  (Read 7155 times)

Flyer760

Gay Operators
« on: Aug 30, 2009, 04:49 »
Are there many plants in the commercial nuclear industry that will hire ex Navy nukes who get discharged becasue of Don't Ask, Don't tell? is that an issue in the hiring process?

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Gay Operators
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2009, 05:06 »
Are there many plants in the commercial nuclear industry that will hire ex Navy nukes who get discharged becasue of Don't Ask, Don't tell? is that an issue in the hiring process?

I know that at my plant it isn't an issue. Don't know if there are any gay operators - and don't care. We have several obviously gay members of our station staff (management also). They are professional, competent, well liked and respected. Being gay isn't part of the job description, and shouldn't be.

I am sorry if the lame ass D/A D/T policy established by the coward Clinton affected a career  >:(. The real world is / should be a bit better. Most of New England (except RI) is accepting of gays. Consider applying at the NE plants. We just want you to be good at what you do. Don't care much about your personal life.

Good Luck   :)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2009, 06:49 »
Nah it shouldn't matter one bit. I'm not saying to some I won't matter but for the most part no one cares. So long as the person can operate they can operate. At least that's my view.

Mike

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2009, 12:28 »

Sexual-orientation discrimination is explicitly unlawful in most states.  You should not encounter it when applying for Ops jobs.

That said, here is reality:  discharge is never good.

Offline merchantg

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2009, 02:00 »
I knew several people while I was in who were gay. No one cared. Even came out and said they were, chiefs and Div officers would just say I don't care. Especially when they were good at there job.

Funny thing is radio show brought this up recently and a bunch of people called in with no military experience saying gays shouldn't be in. I was actually affected by this. Very little bothers me but I don't care what you like as long as you do your job and it doesn't hurt me or my family. And in the nuclear Navy we were always short handed personel. Making duty rotation hell. I am a conservative person with a conservative voting history. But I am of the mind that these issues are only used to polarize us into voting groups. It shouldn't be an issue at all.

I went into industrial maintenance. But I did have a offer from a nuke plant several years ago that only cared that I had completed the training line. I got out early on medical after 4 years. I can only imagine it would be the same. Hard to discriminate against people with no choice in the matter, and usually very illegal.

Offline Neutron Whisperer

• Moderate User
  • What do you bring to the table?
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2009, 07:03 »
Nah it shouldn't matter one bit. I'm not saying to some I won't matter but for the most part no one cares. So long as the person can operate they can operate. At least that's my view.

Mike

Freudian slip?
Disclaimer: there is no "tone" to my post.

Content1

« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2009, 10:32 »
We had this debate before, so to get to the point you get a great "Oh, you gay, so what?"  We are so bombarded with this daily that we tune it out.  Now getting the gay and straight sto hold hands and sing "Combiah" is another thing.   But work they can.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2009, 10:45 »
It started with Tolerance, now it's Optional, someday Mandatory....   :-\

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?