Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What is done during the physical?

Author Topic: What is done during the physical?  (Read 11793 times)

nrlien

What is done during the physical?
« on: Sep 01, 2009, 12:01 »
Just curious what kind of tests they run. Hearing, vision tests, blood pressure, some kind of test to make sure you are okay to use a respirator...anything else? I'm guessing they do all the stuff you do at a standard physical.

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: What is done during the physical?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2009, 12:15 »
I added a comment at your other post but yes they do take blood and likely a drug screen.

The respiratory exam is usually a spirometer which tests your lung capacity in a few ways.

And a chest x-ray.  Dependent on your age some do stress tests in addition to the spirometer.

hope that helps

sf

nrlien

« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2009, 12:20 »
Yes, thank you for your other reply.

Cool, should be "interesting".

Thanks again!

M1Ark

« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2009, 11:39 »
The HR lady probably wouldn't know the answer.

nrlien

« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2009, 03:29 »
Took the physical today. Here's what they did: vision test, hearing test, spirometer (lung capacity-blow as hard as you can into a tube thing), EKG (never had one, so that was interesting), blood drawn (didn't get light-headed at all, doc said that sometimes it depends on who's drawing the sample...makes sense because they last several times was done by navy medical...bleh), blood pressure, had the heart and lungs listened to, reflexes tested, had to jog in place for 3 min, and then had to turn my head and cough. Basically, it is your standard full physical + the ol' EKG.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2009, 01:28 »
You forgot the prostate exam!
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Jr8black3

« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2009, 03:26 »
I had a few of them at ANO and it was a woman DR. I wasn't pleased at all!!!! 3 times at ANO

If I feel I need that I can go to my private Dr.to do that.. I'm sorry but that is one place you don't go on me..

I know it happens.. it sucks,,I've gone to sites and quit, because I won't let them do it.. Nobody has any business with there finger in my butt.. I understand the physical demands, my butt has nothing to do with that. My Butt has no bearing on how soon you get your outage done..

I have a DR. for that stuff...Very taboo to me, it happened at VC Summer to..

Jeez,, Thats not needed

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2009, 04:03 »
I had a friend that was getting a physical at a plant (forget which one) and when they tried to do the prostate exam for his respirator physical(!) his reply was "I don't know about you, but I don't breathe through there." They skipped the test and let him pass.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline IRMWORM

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2009, 04:05 »
not quite as bad as prostate cancer...

Jr8black3

« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2009, 04:25 »
IRMWORM,, I understand what you are saying, but I have a private Dr. for that.. I don't need a prostate exam to complete an outage,,, Sorry thats just one place you never go on me..VC Summer was the worst, I never felt so violated in my life.. The woman at ANO had a small finger, I still think it is disgraceful,, I have my own Dr. that checks me..

Content1

« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2009, 03:57 »
I had a physical for a DOE site and they check blood pressure. mine was high, then blood, an EKG, and you know your physical is not going well when the doctor asked me, "When are you seeing your own doctor?"  I told him, "Next week."  He said, "I think you should go a little sooner."  I did not like the way this conservation is going I thought to myself.   I had a weird EKG from years before, but I was OK.   The doctor said, " I think you should see a doctor now, so I have called an ambulance."

Next thing you know, I was in an ambulance heading to the hospital.   I asked if I am so in danger, why won't they use a siren.  I was told I was too stable.   The ironic thing was I had rode a bike 9 miles to work and somehow survived.  I got to the hospital and I was found the report of my eminent demise was grossly exaggerated.   I was lucky a DOE site gives you medical from date of hire, so it was all covered.  You know a physical is not going well if you leave in an ambulance.

Not to be outdone by the doctor, I was put on blood pressure meds and I did not know they could make you dizzy or slow your heart rate down.  When I took a HR/BP rate when I came to work and it read 53 BPM, I thought I was going to die and called 911 on myself.  I visited 2 hospitals and finally got the heart audiogram and saw my heart was OK after all, and someone admitted that my medicines could make me dizzy and I could go back to my 9 mile bike rides.

I am glad I got the proper physical, fixed conditions like skin cancer on 2 spots on my forehead and treated for diabetes.   I had these conditions hidden while on the road so a house tech job really was a blessing to me.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?