Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ELT getting out at six years, looking for a NLO position I think. honeypot

Author Topic: ELT getting out at six years, looking for a NLO position I think.  (Read 20294 times)

Stngray

Noticed that they are interviewing for AO positions this week. Let us know how it goes for you.

Offline pokerface1000

• Lurker
As far as travel expenses it really depends on the utility.  Some pay for it.  Some don't.  Maybe others have had experiences different than mine, but from what I've experienced union plants tend to not pay for travel expenses for interviews.  The people in the union that negotiate what they want from the company already have jobs, so they don't ask the company to provide them with things like travel expenses during the interview process.  Also, anther thing I found out from HR after being offered my job that you may want to consider when dealing with unionized plants was that there would be no relocation assistance because it was a union position whereas it would have been provided had I accepted a management position.  I'm not putting unions down.  There can be a lot of benefits to being a part of one after you take your job, but they can make things more difficult on people trying to find work far from home.

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
As stated above some pay for everything and others nothing.  The union contracts do have influence on this but some union plants pay for everything too.  The same goes for moving expenses.  If they are important to you ask for them.

Good Luck

Zor

Thanks for everyone's advice. I took the POSS last week for First Energy and passed. Got a call from there HR yesterday asking to schedule an interview. I also took the POSS (passed) and interviewed at Palo Verde (my first choice) yesterday and I feel so-so about it. That was the first real interview I've ever been through. Before the navy I worked in body shops and motorcycle shops, so no real interviewing there. Without any experience interviewing I don't know if it went well or not. I do know that I passed the POSS and there written test and I did a pretty good job of keeping my foot out of my mouth. I studied the STAR interview format, which is exactly what they used, so I think that helped. I should know something either way within a week, so I will let you guys know the outcome. And I still have to interview with first energy.

I really want to thank everyone for their advice/help/support.

Zor

Offline navsteve

• Light User
Zor

You said that you passed the POSS and a written test.  What was involved in the written test?  Do other plants normally have an additional test besides the POSS?

DSO

Thanks guys,

So far I am getting the same vibe. I've got all the handouts and I wrote down all the VA, unemployment, department of labor and so on websites in one notebook so they are all together. If anyone has gotten out and wants an updated list of all these websites and contact info let me know since I should have the most up to date info.

Also I've scheduled an appointment with the VA to see if I am entitled to any disability or other compensation.

Well, back to the job search.

Zor
Zor,  Beware of First Energy Corp...I just quit there and moved on due to their raises after 4 1/2 years barely kept up with inflation....2.83% raise in 2008 when they had record profits..and I was supposedly still increasing on the merit scale (started at 90% of target and after 4 1/2 years was at 93%of target)...not..even reduced salaries for a 3 month period by 5% this year..Their relocation was great..but so is the Navys. You can pay now or pay later. A bunch of disgruntled people work in the place I was formerly employed.PM me if you want more extrapolation.

Zor

DSO, thanks for the warning. I'll keep that in the back of my head when I go up there for an interview. I got to walk around the operations training area at Palo Verde and everyone I talked to seemed really positive and happy to work there. I got interviewed by guys (SRO's and AO's) that have been there since the first plant went critical. So it looks like they have a pretty high retention and take care of their people.

navsteve, the written test was really cheesy. Very basic mechanical/electrical principles and theories. I stress VERY BASIC. And the interviewer told me that it was not a make or break portion of the process, just a gage they use. The POSS is the real make or break test, that and how well your interview goes.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?