Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NE Interview Volunteer

Author Topic: NE Interview Volunteer  (Read 6307 times)

anadas

NE Interview Volunteer
« on: Oct 21, 2009, 11:45 »
My son has a school project on nuclear power and would like to interview a nuclear engineer as part of the assignment. He's e-mailed some professors of engineering, but none have responded to his request. It would be a short interview via e-mail questions. Would anyone be interested.
Thank you in advance.

Content1

Re: NE Interview Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2009, 12:28 »
Why settle for an engineer, go for a scientist like at the Livermore National Lab.   It would be wise to have a set of questions you plan to ask and some sort of goal you are trying to get from the interview.   They all are busy folk, very intelligent and want someone to do their homework.  That will go for whomever you go with.   You did not say the age or grade level involved.   Need Details.

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2009, 02:56 »
Why settle for an engineer or a scientist when you can ask a nuclear operator?

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2009, 10:16 »
I am a nuclear engineer (MS degree from MIT).

I would be happy to answer any questions.

Send me a PM.

Cheers,
GC
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2009, 07:55 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2009, 10:31 »
Why settle for an engineer, go for a scientist like at the Livermore National Lab.   It would be wise to have a set of questions you plan to ask and some sort of goal you are trying to get from the interview.   They all are busy folk, very intelligent and want someone to do their homework.  That will go for whomever you go with.   You did not say the age or grade level involved.   Need Details.

Now, that is funny. Settle for an engineer? I have met my share of Bozo engineers, but a good engineer is every bit as capable as any scientist (and generally more practically useful.) Also, more to the point, the request was about nuclear power, not nuclear research or nuclear theory. Scientists at Livermore are good for theory, but most probably have little practical nuclear power experience (which may also explain why the professors are unresponsive to the requests.)

My suggestion would be a Scientist if the assignment is about pure theory only, an Engineer for design and an Operator for practical application. The operator could probably give the scientist a run for his money on theory too, as long as the theory is pertinent to the particular plant design on which he is trained.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2009, 12:15 »
Why not just post the questions here in open forum, and see who bites?

anadas

« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2009, 07:55 »
I just wanted to thank everyone for their interest. My son was able to reach someone and it worked out very well. Very nice folks on this site.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?