Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Interview dress code

Author Topic: Interview dress code  (Read 35404 times)

EasyLivin

Interview dress code
« on: Sep 02, 2009, 08:19 »
I have an interview coming up for a house HP position. What would be considered appropriate attire for the interview? After searching the forum, I found dress code advice that is five years old. What would everyone recommend for a potential tech or any other nuke position these days?

Flyer760

Re: Interview dress code
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2009, 08:28 »
Slacks from Banana Republic, or Dockers style pants and a ordinary polo shirt or button down shirt should be fine. You don't need a suit, and no one wears a tie the Nuclear Industry except old managers or site VP's.

EasyLivin

« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2009, 08:37 »
Thanks. The reason I ask, is because the job market is tougher these days. I do not want to underdress and allow the management to assume that I am not serious about the job.

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2009, 08:51 »
Good luck at your interview!!!

Content1

« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2009, 09:11 »
I went to an interview dressed in a suit and tie and all the interviewers wore slacks, jeans and colored t-shirts.   I looked like the sole supervisor.   It may be useful to ask where you are going.  I guess it is better to dress up verses down. 

Offline bradley535

• Light User
  • My employer found me at NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2009, 11:15 »
You may not need the suit, but no one will ever dock you points for wearing one.

EasyLivin

« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2009, 11:32 »
Thanks for the tips everyone. I think that I'll go with some slacks and a button down shirt. Hopefully the ELT in me will shine enough for the interviewers  :P.

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2009, 12:34 »
I would recommend against a suit.

Nice collared and starched button down.
Shined shoes that match the belt. I like Kenneth Cole Reactions with the square toe and 1 inch heel.

A nice watch.

Manicure wouldnt hurt, but being an ELT your hands should be nice and smooth.

I say manicure because a nicely groomed set of nails (NO POLISH) makes a nice impression. When your interviewers are not looking at you they are looking at your hands, so set them off with a nice watch, cufflinks, no gaudy jewelry, just a wedding band as applicable.

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2009, 03:47 »
I find it's always best to over dress than under, you can always tone down a suit by removing the jacket and tie.  But, can't up dress on the fly.    I agree with Jason on the manicure, and avoiding too much jewelry.  Your dressed up with 6 rings, can equal someone else's idea of tacky. 

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 2009, 06:40 »
Wear a suit! It's just another normal workday for your interviewers so they will not be dressed up. I wouldn't worry too much about your nails. Jason, how did you get into ELT school?!!!

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Sep 03, 2009, 07:14 »
Charm baby, Charm.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #11 on: Sep 03, 2009, 07:56 »
Another vote AGAINST the suit.  

The gurus on the subject always say, "One step above what you will wear on the job."  HP is blue jeans & no collar at most plants (dockers & a collar at a few).  If you show up in a suit, you are:

1.  Way overdressed per the One-Step-Above rule.

and

2.  Going to raise questions in some supervisors' eyes as to whether you are going to be willing to get into the job & get dirty.  HP teching is an In-the-Trenches position & you don't want to give the impression that you are above diving in.
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2009, 11:04 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 03, 2009, 11:51 »
Another vote AGAINST the suit.  

The gurus on the subject always say, "One step above what you will wear on the job."  HP is blue jeans & no collar at most plants (dockers & a collar at a few).  If you show up in a suit, you are:

1.  Way overdressed per the One-Step-Above rule.

and

2.  Going to raise questions in some supervisors' eyes as to whether you are going to be willing to get into the job & get dirty.  HP teching is an In-the-Trenches position & you don't want to give the impression that you are above diving in.

Spot on advice, as usual.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

scaife

« Reply #13 on: Sep 03, 2009, 12:05 »
I would suggest that the form of dress can also depend on your personal background.  

Having recently had an interview in the industry myself, successful one at that, I chose to wear a suit for a number of reasons.  The reasons being were the appearance of professionalism, not knowing ahead of time what form of dress my interviewers would be in, etc.

Now I also happen to have a work history that includes construction as a heavy equipment operator which covered my willingness to "get dirty"  --dive into work .. not being willing to jump into a radiological mess  ;)  --

But from what I have read here I would suggest chinos, with a shirt and tie .. skip the suit coat.  That way you are still presentable without the worry or being over-dressed.

- Cheers

« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2009, 12:51 by scaife »

dynamike

« Reply #14 on: Sep 03, 2009, 12:45 »
I was hired in February for an ops job.  I wore to my interview a conservative suit, heavy starched white shirt, conservative tie, nice watch (no other jewelry even though I wear an earring everday to work), nicely trimmed beard (you may not want to so as to avoid the question of shaving it), and black dress shoes with  a matching belt & silver buckle. It was cold out that day, so when I walked in to the interview and saw the interviewers wearing slacks and casual shirts, I took off my jacket (after asking of course) and made a comment about how I was glad to be out of the full monkey suit. That's how I dressed down on the fly.

I got the job, but not because of the clothes.  I got it because of me.  The clothes just allowed the me to start out on a level playing field.

scaife, does this mean I get a nickel from you?

scaife

« Reply #15 on: Sep 03, 2009, 12:52 »
Please disregard the nickle statement .. information on canadian - us exchange rate given to me was wrong.

nrlien

« Reply #16 on: Sep 03, 2009, 03:46 »
A nice suit and tie, while not necessary, shows you are serious about the job. Dress for success and (insert another cliche term here).

Offline MrNrge

• Light User
« Reply #17 on: Sep 03, 2009, 11:38 »
If you are serious about the job. Suite and tie is the uniform of the day.
Unless you have been told specficly not to wear the suit and tie.
If you are not serious about the job call and cancel the interview. As a hireing manager I would prefer not to waste my time.

This may sound harsh but this is how the big bad world works.

NNPS Class 8207
MM1/SS/ELT
Sam Engelhard, Safety manager for wind division.
It is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 04, 2009, 08:55 »
Why not just ask? If there is a tour of the facility involved, a suit may not be appropriate. A questioning attitude is not a bad attitude for an applicant. Be confident and open, they want to know what you can do for them and if you will fit in. They have already read your resume and propably have made up thier minds whether or not you have the technical background.

Paul

« Reply #19 on: Sep 04, 2009, 05:30 »
I wore a suit at my interview for MTN Electrician. When they offered me the position, the suit was mentioned twice.
When you are competing with equally qualified candidates, any edge is a good one.

EasyLivin

« Reply #20 on: Sep 04, 2009, 08:51 »
I appreciate the advice and past experiences that everyone has provided. I even appreciate the fashion tips. I spoke with the HR representative that I've been in contact with and he advised against the suit or wearing a tie. However, I'm sure that he doesn't go to the site very often. I think that the "One Step Above" rule sounds about right. I currently work at an engineering firm, and the only interviewees that wear suits for interviews are potential program managers and occasionally a potential senior engineer. Since I'm neither, I'll go with the slacks and dress shirt.

Offline HockeyFan

• Light User
  • NHL Hockey, 5K road races, and an acoustic guitar.
« Reply #21 on: Sep 05, 2009, 07:20 »
I would have never guessed that so many of the guys I share this industry with are such eloquent fashionistas!!!

Ha ha!  I would never have guessed either.  This isn't a high fashion industry by far.

Wear clothes that make you feel good, are comfortable, project the image you want, and are not distracting.  Believe me, your personality will show through your clothes.  That being said, your clothes make the first impression.  Your clothes will not get you the job, but may keep you from it.

Dave
You have to prove yourself every shift. Paul Coffey
The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. Juma Ikangaa
We didn't have any instruments, so I had to use my guitar. Maybelle Carter

nrlien

« Reply #22 on: Sep 05, 2009, 10:39 »
If you want to show you are REALLY serious about the job, come to the interview wearing a contamination suit.

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #23 on: Sep 05, 2009, 10:57 »
If you want to show you are REALLY serious about the job, come to the interview wearing a contamination suit.

What kind of message would that send?

"Hi.  I believe that your site is so crapped up with contamination that I can't even sit in your office without taking radiological controls.  Can I have a job, please?"   :P
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #24 on: Sep 12, 2009, 11:56 »
Opinions on interview dress are like ***holes...

I called ahead to every interview, and spoke with an HR rep about appropriate attire. Lucky for me, a suit was over kill for all of them.

I wore nothing more than matching belt/shoes, nice collared button down shirt, khaki pants and sometimes a tie depending on the job (SRO = tie).

YMMV

Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?