Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What happens in ops, stays in ops?  

Author Topic: What happens in ops, stays in ops?  (Read 5789 times)

nrlien

What happens in ops, stays in ops?
« on: Sep 03, 2009, 03:34 »
Sorry for the goofy subject line. I have a buddy that works for entergy, he said that he is pretty much stuck being an AO because AO's are in such high demand. It would be tough for him to get licensed to become an SRO because of it. He also said that moving outside of ops (going into training, for example), is pretty damn tough too.

I want to keep my options open, but I did get hired as an AO. Does this mean I may as well shut the door on moving to training, maintenance, or perhaps the corporate side later down the line?

Thanks to anyone who has any insight or stories. I have nothing at all against OPS, but I like to know what to expect career-wise.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: What happens in ops, stays in ops?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2009, 03:54 »
AOs at my Entergy plant are progressing into license after 3-4 yrs. SRO is offered to the best of them after a few years on the boards. We have had plant managers that started as AO, I think, including our current one. 

Disclaimer - I'm not in Ops
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

kp88

« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2009, 04:06 »
I have a buddy that works for entergy, he said that he is pretty much stuck being an AO because AO's are in such high demand.

Aux Operators are in high demand because they become Reactor Operators and Senior Reactor Operators.  Once you've got that experience and license, many other departments will be more than happy to have you in their group.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2009, 04:14 »
Aux Operators are in high demand because they become Reactor Operators and Senior Reactor Operators.  Once you've got that experience and license, many other departments will be more than happy to have you in their group.

Not the point, yes most departments love having Licensed Personnel working for them, but in most cases plant manning cannot support releasing them. It'll be interesting in how the new Fatigue Rule affects this. What I juust said about, and the Fatigue rule are two of the reasons why I'm planning on exiting the utility portion of the industry.

Mike

kp88

« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2009, 04:26 »
Not the point, yes most departments love having Licensed Personnel working for them, but in most cases plant manning cannot support releasing them. It'll be interesting in how the new Fatigue Rule affects this. What I juust said about, and the Fatigue rule are two of the reasons why I'm planning on exiting the utility portion of the industry.

Mike
I disagree.  That is the point.  Regardless of the fatigue rule, plants will want to have licensed personnel in Training, Planning, Maintenance, and what ever else.  There are numerous opportunities for these people.
Unfortunately, if you want to transfer as an SRO to the local hydro plant, that's going to be somewhat difficult.   :)

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2009, 07:59 »
Wrong, I'm already seeing it. They'll hire contractors for those positions. Currently plants all over the country are calling their Operators back to Ops. Mostly due to the fatigue rule.

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2009, 08:11 »
Sorry for the goofy subject line. I have a buddy that works for entergy, he said that he is pretty much stuck being an AO because AO's are in such high demand. It would be tough for him to get licensed to become an SRO because of it. He also said that moving outside of ops (going into training, for example), is pretty damn tough too.

I want to keep my options open, but I did get hired as an AO. Does this mean I may as well shut the door on moving to training, maintenance, or perhaps the corporate side later down the line?

Thanks to anyone who has any insight or stories. I have nothing at all against OPS, but I like to know what to expect career-wise.

This makes no sense.  RO and SRO positions will need more people because of the new fatigue rules.  With the job market being as it is, the utilities will have plenty of qualified applicants for the EO jobs.  They require no license.

The management at my plant are motivated to get as many EOs to go up for a license.  They had 6 opening in my class and I was the only one to go.  It takes about 18 months to train a licensed operator and not everyone will make it.  At my plant only a fully qualified EO can go up for RO class and that takes about 3 years from hire date to being fully qualified.  If this is how it works at your plant, they may be trying to force your friend to go RO.
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2009, 08:14 by The Nutty Neutron »

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2009, 09:32 »
My plant hired 20, about 12 are left not even 2 years in.

kp88

« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2009, 01:16 »
Currently plants all over the country are calling their Operators back to Ops. Mostly due to the fatigue rule.

No, plants "all over the country" are not locking auxiliary operators into AO positions.

Paul

« Reply #9 on: Sep 04, 2009, 05:17 »
Sounds like a load of crap. They are pressing for AOs' to become ROs'.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?