Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu MM1, 3365, getting out in 3 months or less honeypot

Author Topic: MM1, 3365, getting out in 3 months or less  (Read 8531 times)

keving81

MM1, 3365, getting out in 3 months or less
« on: Sep 04, 2009, 09:31 »
got 9 years in, navy nuc mechanic on a sub qualed up to ERS, shore duty included pure water operator and gage calibration, nuclear test pipe fitter.

i would like to stay nuc when getting out, most likely as a plant watch stander (not sure the term, maybe aux operator?). i have looked in the job search functions of site and never see the guys that room the " engine room" of the power plants listed.
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2009, 07:06 by keving81 »

JsonD13

Re: MM1, 3365, getting out in 3 months or less
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2009, 10:27 »
At my plant, we dont call it an engine room.  If you find postings for auxillary operator, or non-licensed operator this is what you are looking for.  These guys are the ones that operate the plant like you are used to in the Navy.  These guys only operate the plant, perform minor maintenance, and take logs.  The progression usually leads up to being a reactor operator, then a senior reactor operator. 

If you are having troubles finding a place to work at as an operator, check out maintenance too.  Each plant has a substantial maintenance group size.  It would seem to me that you would be qualified to be hired for either mechanical maintenance or an operators position based upon what you had stated.

Jason

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2009, 10:44 »
At my plant, we dont call it an engine room.  If you find postings for auxillary operator, or non-licensed operator this is what you are looking for.  These guys are the ones that operate the plant like you are used to in the Navy.  These guys only operate the plant, perform minor maintenance, and take logs.  The progression usually leads up to being a reactor operator, then a senior reactor operator. 

If you are having troubles finding a place to work at as an operator, check out maintenance too.  Each plant has a substantial maintenance group size.  It would seem to me that you would be qualified to be hired for either mechanical maintenance or an operators position based upon what you had stated.

Jason

You propably will call it an engine room soon with the new Fleet mentality

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2009, 03:43 »
got 9 years in, navy nuc mechanic on a sub qualed up to ERS, shore duty included pure water operator and gage calibration, nuclear test pipe fitter.

i would like to stay nuc when getting out, most likely as a plant watchstander (not sure the term, maybe aux operator?). i have looked in the job search functions of site and never see the guys that room the "engine room" of the power plants listed.

So by your spelling, capitalization skills, and previous qualifications you've proven you can be a semi decent janitorial assistant.

Here's what's strange, in 1990, without the benefit of the Internet, and using only sources available at a Public Library I managed to get 14 job offers in the commercial world. It amazes me that with the resources available today the best an MM1/ERS with 9 years experience can do is ask why he can't find any job offers that say "engine" room. Has the Navy really gotten this bad?

keving81

« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2009, 04:02 »
in fact i never said why cant i get a job? im not treating this thread as my resume so why list all my quals. its not that i havnt received job offers, it that im not sure of the terms that are used in the civi world.

and the 1st person answered the question just fine.

EasyLivin

« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2009, 08:22 »
i gots myself a few oppurtunities by looking at the reactor plants company website. later

icebain

« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2009, 07:36 »
So by your spelling, capitalization skills, and previous qualifications you've proven you can be a semi decent janitorial assistant.

Here's what's strange, in 1990, without the benefit of the Internet, and using only sources available at a Public Library I managed to get 14 job offers in the commercial world. It amazes me that with the resources available today the best an MM1/ERS with 9 years experience can do is ask why he can't find any job offers that say "engine" room. Has the Navy really gotten this bad?

Yes, it has. We got a mechanic from NPTU CHASN that was later diagnosed with Asberger's Syndrome...he had made it all the way through bootcamp, the pipeline (more like positive displacement pump line) and to the fleet. It took us nearly 2 years to get rid of him with such things as masts for sleeping on watch etc. Qualified 1 watchstation in 2 years. The navy is desperate, and I'm getting out as soon as possible.

Offline PB

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2009, 04:01 »
icebain, your post kind of blows my mind. I am an 8 year MM1 at NPTU (I've been here for two and a half years now) on the 635 and I don't understand how someone who has been diagnosed with Asberger's Syndrome, and it not be noticed until they get to the fleet. Was he just not able to adapt to sub/ship life so he had to find an excuse to get him out of his contract?

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2009, 09:34 »
PB,
I have a son who has Asperger's.  My experience was that when we got the diagnosis and read up on it, many things made more sense.  One of the characteristics is difficulty dealing with a large task list when viewed in its entirety, but a real ability to be focused on a single task. 

It can be a difficult condition to diagnose.  It took about 9 months of test, analyze that test, take the next test, repeatedly to get my sons diagnosis.  I'm not saying that's what happened in this case but it can be a frustrating thing to get an answer to for all involved.

Peace,
Tom
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline PB

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2009, 02:13 »
Nuclear Nascar,
I'm sorry if I seemed insensitive. Considering the fact that I am uneducated about that particular subject I shouldn't have said anything.
PB

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:37 »
No offense taken PB, trust me.  We both stand the same chance of being right in this instance. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?