Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu need advice on getting a foot in
honeypot

Author Topic: need advice on getting a foot in  (Read 3611 times)

carolina kid

need advice on getting a foot in
« on: Sep 05, 2009, 02:29 »
Hello everyone, I'm an old nuke hand . I worked some outages back in the 90's at McGuire in the ice condenser and a year on site as a deconner
I just started school at lakeshore tech working on an associates degree in nuclear technology. I'm looking for any work I can get while I go to
school . any thoughts would be a help !!!! I NEED WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Content1

Re: need advice on getting a foot in
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2009, 03:39 »
Lincoln walked miles to borrow books and put himself through law school.  Remember what education is for.   If you are sharp and a quick learner, you can get most of your "book smarts" from the internet for free.  You take a 2 year degree not to get a job as a road tech, which is hit or miss, but a real job as a house tech and you completion of college shows you finish things important to your career.   

If you truly want to be an RP and you are young enough, go into the nuclear Navy and come out with people lining up to hire you.   If you attend a school that is not transferrable to a 4 year college it may be a waste of time.  I had a 4 year degree, ex-navy but it took a year to get my first outage in 2003.  Yet when I applied for a house tech job the ex-Navy was still the most important feature, as many still feel in the Navy you learn to follow orders and procedures.  What you do not want to do is to try to work 12 hours days while trying to go to college.   It depends if you are married, with children, etc. on what you need to live on while in school.

carolina kid

« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2009, 04:27 »
well I'm to old for the navy. I'm just looking for outage work as a decon tech to build a resume for future jobs as an hp the only company I have found so far is bartlett. Can I get a list of companies that hire deconers with 1 year exp.

I'm willing to start at the bottom and work my way up. The way it used to be or should be.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2009, 06:05 »
Bartlett
DZ Atlantic
Babcock/Icesolv

« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2009, 12:41 by Rennhack »

carolina kid

« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2009, 09:37 »
Thanks for the names

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?