20 (21.3%)
30 - 39
17 (18.1%)
21 - 30
15 (16%)
Decline to answer
1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Retirement and Your Current Age  (Read 13895 times)

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Retirement and Your Current Age
« on: Sep 08, 2009, 10:00 »
With the aging of both our nation's population and that of our industries workers I am conducting a few polls to gather data on the issue of the aging nukeworker.

Please vote.

Chimera

Re: Retirement and Your Current Age
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2009, 08:03 »
Ain't no "issue" - it's just a fact of life.  I keep trying to get younger but I now need two cakes to hold all the candles - and a fire permit.

Mike

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2009, 10:42 »
Don't forget to take part in this poll... results so far show we are getting old!

stownsend

« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2009, 11:12 »
I think I voted, I just can't remember.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2009, 11:30 »
I think I voted, I just can't remember.

You know they say that your memory is the second thing to go.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2009, 12:22 »
Very strange... I chose my age (50 - 59) and now it shows I said I am 60 - 65.

I protest.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

stownsend

« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2009, 12:38 »
I chose 25 to 30 and it said in my dreams.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2009, 02:16 by stownsend »

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2009, 02:17 »

I protest.

Same here.... :o
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2009, 02:21 »
This poll is aging us by 10yrs apparently........ I blame the government ;D  I figure I am old enough to know better, but young enough not to care 8)
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2009, 02:32 »

I protest.

Okay my fault. I was asked to add an additional option and when I did I placed it in order and it threw off the voting results... soooo I had to go and reset the poll.

Please, try this once again, thanks to all,
Camella

Chimera

« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2009, 09:50 »
And always remember - "old" is a state of mind.  "Older" should be the operative word.

Jr8black3

« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2009, 11:24 »
Jeez Never feel old think of all the good folks maybe younger or older you've taught, your not old till your 6' under then your old and remembered..and missed..bigtime...

Jeez I'm only 43 but I've been doing this since I was 18 and I've taught a few people I would like to think..

The two that taught me the most in this industry is Doug McBride and Pat Hoppe,,hands down they taught me more then anybody..Veterans to the industry and yes Pat to the US NAVY..Thanks for your service.

Hey if your ready to retire there are always outages go hit one or two..

I don't know how people save money, everybody is different, I chose to save my money over the last 25 years with investments, some are coming back some tanked, some are doing good..

Bottomline is Doug and Pat are vets. to this business,, My first job in 1985 at DC Cook I can remember Pat yelling at me,, and I hated him after that till I went back in the 90's,, I was like $hit I have to work for him again,, I learned more in the the 90's then ever..Doug tried to teach and still does try to teach me the business side of it all..Cook was a blast for me and a very good learning experience.

Content1

« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2009, 07:03 »
Unfortunately, age is more then just a number.   The last WWI veteran died off recently, closing that era.  Baby boomers post WW2 are retiring in droves, taxing the social security system.  Many of the Rad techs who entered the field pre 3 Mile Island are in their 50-60's.   When they leave the business in the next 10 years a lot of experience will go with them, something the industry takes for granted.   Look at the average age of the worker, they are not being replaced.   A lot of people from these colleges will find they can't make it with a short outage schedule and will go house or do something else with their lives.  I see a lot of the companies are posting jobs not in advance, but  post jobs available "ASAP."  That retiree sitting on the sideline ready to fill these slots will someday not be there.   You can't fight time, it always wins.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #13 on: Sep 10, 2009, 01:52 »
The more you have the better off you are. I actually only celebrate anniversaries of my 29th birthday. This past August I celebrated my 11th, some call it 40.

I am generally one of the youngest at most of the jobs I have had in recent times. In most industries, the 20 year guys would be the "old timers", here we are the Jr's!

As far as retirement goes...I am not convinced that road techs are allowed to retire, LOL! I would very much like to leave Humboldt Bay after we dig the huge hole and be able to do an outage here and there going forward. The industry is great to jump in and out of when you need to.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #14 on: Sep 10, 2009, 04:56 »
Ive gotten off the road (for now) and retired as an house tech at the age of 42.  But mids are killing me.

Offline gammaman30

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #15 on: Sep 11, 2009, 09:31 »
Hey biloxoi blues,

We miss you on the road, me and the mouth both. Hope to see you again who knows maybe we will come to lucie next time. Take care Buddy.

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2009, 01:18 »
It's not the age, it's the mileage!

I'm as young as my T.E.D.E., oh---thats not good either!

You know you're too old when the Jr you trained is the RPM at your next outage.

You know you're too old when a Jr can drink you under the table and you wake up in a strange motel room with your pants on backwards in a State you didn't know you took a job in!

I'm gonna retire just as soon as I can remember where I left that winning lotto ticket.

I guess I'll retire when that fresh-faced idiot I told off finds out who I am. (He's the Plant Manager)
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 22, 2009, 10:39 »
You know you're too old when the Jr you trained is the RPM at your next outage.

That literally happened to me in 2004. To make matters worse, the Site Coordinator at that outage fell into the same category. Both were Juniors on their first outages (different places, different outages) and I helped train them. The RPM even acknowledged at his 'Welcome speech' that 'the tech that helped me across my first step-off pad' was in the crowd. I felt VERY old that day.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 22, 2009, 02:31 »
Like I needed another reminder of my age!  Geez :o
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

LaFeet

« Reply #19 on: Apr 30, 2010, 12:05 »
Heck  Im not old   I just have 5 daughters...... >:(

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?