Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Time off in Japan...  

Author Topic: Time off in Japan...  (Read 3471 times)

Ferretts

Time off in Japan...
« on: Sep 11, 2009, 12:41 »
First off, this board has been supremely helpful for the past year since I found it.  Thanks to you all.

I'm a shiny new Sub Ensign eager to start NPS in November.  Currently I don't intend to make a career out of the Navy (will likely separate after 5) and I wanted to bounce my future plans off of you all to see how delusional I am.  If I separate I'm going to apply for three things:

A: Jobs in the industry.
B: Graduate Programs in Nuke Engineering.
C: The JET (Japanese Exchange and Teaching) Program.

Now I want to stay in the nuclear field, but it has been a goal of mine for years to live in Japan (The JET Program will give me 1-3 years in the country).  Plenty of time to flesh out my fluency.

So my concern is:
If I'm accepted and choose Japan, how badly do you figure 1-3 years out of the industry will hurt me when I try to break back in?

Also, I know that Japan has many plants (is planning more), and owns majority of Westinghouse and whatnot... So I'm wondering how marketable is Japanese fluency within the nuclear industry?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Time off in Japan...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2009, 12:59 »
I have no idea what the JET program is nor who administers it, but I lived in Japan as a boy for three years. I still remember it fondly, good people and much to see and experience. Job placement is beat to death on this site but personal enrichment and growth is not. Three years in Japan then on to the grind would be my choice if I were you.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Time off in Japan...
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2009, 11:01 »
Many people take more than 3 years out of the industry and have no trouble getting back in. Chase that dream.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?