Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Terence J. Shaffer needs a pacemaker.

Author Topic: Terence J. Shaffer needs a pacemaker.  (Read 9411 times)

blackballedsnake

Terence J. Shaffer needs a pacemaker.
« on: Sep 13, 2009, 11:13 »
Hey there all you 'ol timers...;) My dad (Terence) is getting a pacemaker "installed" on 9/15/09. He had a stress test done about 2 months ago. Well, when he did the "treadmill thing", his heart rate went down instead of up! :o The doctor said, "Hmm?" My dad (in classic form) said, "Ohh, that can't be good!" :(  Y'know, isn't that the way life is...he JUST retired (in March '09), and now this! ::) I worry about the 'ol man...as I should. ;D  - Mike "Snake" Shaffer. 8)

Offline NJ

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Terence J. Shaffer needs a pacemaker.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2009, 04:15 »
Sorry to hear this news.  This will go well..at least he caught it early enough to enjoy his retirement.  Tell him he's in my prayers!
Nancy Jo

Content1

« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2009, 04:24 »
I have a wierd heartbeat and I was investigate for a pacemaker.   I didn't need it at this time, but one thing I learned about modern pacemakers are they are a backup systems not in use unless the heartbeat gets too low and it kicks in to increase the rate.  Doesn't work otherwise like the 6 million dollar man.  They have their place and we are lucky such devices are available to prolong life.

hezabear

« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2009, 12:01 »
Mike I will add your dad to my prayers. I have 2 friends with pacemakers and they are doing well. Take care of your Dad and yourself. Always Brad

blackballedsnake

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2009, 07:40 »
Thanks much NJ, Content1, and Heza Bear! :) It's nice to know that people care...my dad's been in the "nuke biz" since 1968! :o He started his career at Numec/B&W in Parks Township, Armstrong County, PA. (The people who worked there were known as the "Apollo Connection") When B&W got shut down by the N.I.M.B.Y.'s, he became a "roady" in 1977 with "outfits" like RAD Services, Chem-Nuclear, NSS, Numanco, Westinghouse, and Bartlett...yada, yada, yada! ;D He quit the "roady stuff" in the mid 90's, and settled into an office/sales/manager position with Master-Lee Energy. Now he's officially on "permanent vacation", so to speak. ;) He did what he had to do to provide for his family...I am VERY proud of my father, he deserves to enjoy every moment of his retirement! ;) ;D  - Snake. 8)

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2009, 09:47 »
Mike,
I'll be keeping your Dad and your whole family in my prayers over this.  My son got a pacemaker about 5 1/2 years ago for his 13th birthday.  It worried us at first but with the issues that it has taken care of I can say if he needs it get it.  If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me and I'll be glad to answer anything.

Peace,
Tom
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2009, 10:18 »
You and your Dad are in our prayers.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

blackballedsnake

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2009, 04:05 »
Thank you Tom & Mike. :) We (family) will be there for him when he comes outta surgery tomorrow evening...except for my brother, Eric. :( He's at Peach Bottom w/ Master-Lee. We'll keep him posted by phone. Again, thanks to everyone for your kind words, and personal experiences with this type of procedure. ;D   - Mike. 8)

blackballedsnake

« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2009, 01:51 »
Hi there everyone! :) All went very well at the hospital. He was discharged today...no issues...just a little sore from being cut open. I asked him if I should hook him up to the "trickle charger" while he sleeps! ;D He just gave me that "look", and flipped me the "New Jersey salute". Hey, I gotta keep the 'ol man on his toes! ;)   - Snake. 8)

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2009, 04:34 »
Glad all went OK!!!
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

hezabear

« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2009, 07:36 »
Glad to hear he is doing well. Brad

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2009, 06:37 »
I asked him if I should hook him up to the "trickle charger" while he sleeps! ;D He just gave me that "look
nex time don't axe him!  just wait til he nods off 'n clamp his nips!  he'll give ya a look, aisle betcha!  tell da ole man i'm  pullin four hymn, k?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

DoctorD

« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2009, 10:06 »
Mike,

Sorry to hear about your dad's needin' the pacemaker but, darn glad to hear that the ol' SeaDog is doing okay now!!  Please tell him that Doc (from the old days with RSS and Palisades) is sending his best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.  We haven't seen each other in many years but your dad is a great friend and one of those that's never forgotten.  If he's got Email access, tell him to send me a note:  Doc@Greer-Construction.com, I'd sure like to touch base with him again.

God Speed,  Doc

blackballedsnake

« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2009, 12:26 »
Sorry, he's not a computer/email type of person. :( I'll do ya one better...give him a call! ;D He will enjoy hearin' from some of the "old school" crew. ;) (724) 787-2730. Thanks so much to everyone for yer thoughts, and prayers for my dad's recovery. ;)    - Mike "Snake" Shaffer. 8)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?