Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Need advice...  

Author Topic: Need advice...  (Read 3702 times)

surefire56

Need advice...
« on: Sep 15, 2009, 04:25 »
Hi,

I'll explain this as straightforward as possible.

Two weeks ago I was offered interviews with 2 Companies... (A and B)

Interviewed with A, received a job offer the next day, Friday, They wanted to know my decision by Monday, asked for an extension and was given to the next Friday (coming up) which they weren't too thrilled about.

Today I took 2 exams with company B which both went very well and I am 95% sure I passed both. I interview with them tomorrow...

However, it may not be possible to obtain my test scores or for Company B to offer me a position by Friday.

Company B is the job I want and is the better opportunity. But Company A is a very good offer too...

So what do I do??

Accept job A?  Decline job A and pray I get an offer from B?

Are there other options?

Thanks for your time and input.

withroaj

Re: Need advice...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2009, 04:28 »
Seems to me that it's September 2009.  Employment of any sort is worth its weight in gold nowadays.  I'd go for the job you know you have.  Just my outsider's opinion.

Glowing_Since_09

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2009, 04:36 »
Like gambling. Do you research, is it worth the risk? Good luck, and keep us posted.

surefire56

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2009, 04:41 »
Also by the way, I realize how incredibly lucky I am, especially at this time, to be in this sort of situation and by no means am taking it for granted.

I know the smart/safe route is to take the job, but hearing confirmation certainly makes the decision much easier on me...

Thanks again

Content1

« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2009, 05:40 »
Accept the first job, then if B comes in so  much better you can't pass it up, be prepared for a burned bridge with A.  Life is full of choices, and you anger whomever  you turn down.   I accepted a job with Bartlett for Surry and while driving out there a competative site was offering 3k bonus and more time, which I felt it would be dishonorable to burn my bridge so I ignored it.   Surry screwed me with an outage so short I still feel like a virgin to the plant. (Kind of a crazy metaphor I guess).   Moral of story, Company A or B probably see you as a commodity and would dump you in a moment if it was financially expedient to do so.   Chose what you think is best weighing your long term goal verses short term making someone happy, or maybe the bridge you burn is only singed and is still crossable if needed. 

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2009, 08:53 »
Explain the situation to company A. If they give you the time to weigh your options you are golden... take the offer you like best. If they balk at giving you the time to make an informed decision, they will probably continue to do so for the entire time you work for them. If they pressure you to take the job when you don't work for them, imagine what working for them will be like. If they don't value your desire to make the right decision and the need to get all of the facts before making that decision, then that should serve as a warning.

Having said that, you already know that there is a certain amount of risk in turning down the first offer. If you are not risk tolerant, take the given. A bird in the hand, and all that stuff.

He who hesitates is lost... but look before you leap. Which one do you believe?
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?