Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting new HP techs

Author Topic: Getting new HP techs  (Read 5821 times)

atomicarcheologist

Getting new HP techs
« on: Sep 17, 2009, 06:54 »
I'm in a situation where I may be looking to recruit and hire a brand spanking new HP trainee junior tech.  I am wondering if there are any aptitude tests available for the giving?  If there are not any such tests, what would be considered applicable material to cover and what weighting would be given to each venue?

Content1

Re: Getting new HP techs
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2009, 07:00 »
By brand new do you mean new to the nuke field, or someone like a deconner trying to move.    If you are like a recruiter then the NEU is a filter that they have to take someday, anyway, and it is free on Nukerworker.   If you simply advertized on nukeworker and say what type of training and experience you want, you will be inundated with resumes as many who want to be jrs. are already in the business.   To get a non-tech off the street to the business may be more work than a new recruiter would want to deal with, as you will be judged by the caliber of the people you send.
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2009, 07:04 by Rennhack »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2009, 09:27 »
I'm in a situation where I may be looking to recruit and hire a brand spanking new HP trainee junior tech.  I am wondering if there are any aptitude tests available for the giving?  If there are not any such tests, what would be considered applicable material to cover and what weighting would be given to each venue?

The MASS is given to incoming HPs at some sites as a basic aptitude test...even though it's actually designed for mechanical types...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2009, 09:29 »
The MASS is given to incoming HPs at some sites as a basic aptitude test...even though it's actually designed for mechanical types...

There is a test for technicians called the TOSS... but it is similar to the MASS.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2009, 12:21 »
MASS & TOSS, are they available somewhere?  I looked at the Training Tab here on Nukeworker.com and they weren't listed. I tried Googling them and there was way too much information to sort through. 
Yes, I am looking for someone who is not nuclear acclimated.  i think that a student in a technical engineering field at a community college would be a good candidate. 

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2009, 01:59 »
MASS & TOSS, are they available somewhere?  I looked at the Training Tab here on Nukeworker.com and they weren't listed. I tried Googling them and there was way too much information to sort through.  
Yes, I am looking for someone who is not nuclear acclimated.  i think that a student in a technical engineering field at a community college would be a good candidate.  

EEI ( www.eei.org ) provides both tests.  No idea what they cost.

Look at this link for more info...esp. Rennhack's post about 1/2 way down page 1.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,7188.0.html

Both tests are just general aptitude, so would provide a level view whether your candidates had any previous nuclear experience or not.

Do you mind us asking where this potential position would be?  Someone on the site might know of a candidate that would like to take your test.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2009, 02:09 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2009, 03:52 »

Do you mind us asking where this potential position would be?  Someone on the site might know of a candidate that would like to take your test.

Thanks for the links, they should give me what I need.  I appreciate all the feedback to my query, it has been a help.  This is not an immediate position, it's pretty far off in the future.  I'm just attempting to find which ducks I need to get in line.

BetaAnt

« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2009, 04:56 »
Some of these new HPs make me want to TOSS my MASS. So many do not have the work ethics of older HP that want to give a damn about the workers, environment, or the job. I guess since I have been insulated in DOE land for a number of years and treated to the new Atomic Thugs ("My Daddy makes bombs an' tol' me RadCon don't do squat and get paid for it."). But those are the new DOE house mice. I ran into one kid straight out of RC school, that said her Daddy taught her all the RadCon sh@t she needed to know. I calibrated her by explaining how many times I had to clean up his contaminated lab and how many times he had lost pieces of clothing from poor RP practices. She still hates me six years later for the reality check. I hold no grudges, but will not put up with her lazy crap OTJ (she's a house mouse, I'm a RAT. The supervisors come to me to get the complex jobs done. She's paid more to do routines and work the count room.). Not to dispair, there are a few (2-3 out of a class of 25 are good techs/interns - started with 45 and 20 dropped because of theory and math problems). There is hope at the end of the tunnel, but we have a mountain to climb to find good HP techs. Another TMI will get the ball rolling on training and wages, but could doom the nuke world.

BA 8) :D :P 8)

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2009, 03:42 »
Some of these new HPs make me want to TOSS my MASS. So many do not have the work ethics of older HP that want to give a damn about the workers, environment, or the job.
BA 8) :D :P 8)

I've been doing this since early 80's and Yes some of the new techs have issues  but......    A lot of us old farts have forgotten what we were like when we were that age.   Does anyone remember the Pre-FFD days?  Lets just say that some of us have grown up quite a bit.  But where age has given (at least some of us) a better work ethic it also makes it harder to remember when we were 18-25 and stupid.  I'm not saying to ignore poor behavior but maybe think back and smile before you launch into a long round of "kids these day".

I'm not DOE so maybe its different there.... 
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2009, 03:43 by grantime »
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?