Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu MM2 getting out <1 year honeypot

Author Topic: MM2 getting out <1 year  (Read 5112 times)

Domegren

MM2 getting out <1 year
« on: Sep 21, 2009, 11:29 »
I'm a nuke mechanic just past my five year point without plans of reenlisting. I've been spending a lot of time researching to find out how to prepare for getting out. I always hoped that I'd end up working at a power plant like SONGS in San Onofre, CA primarily for its location since I grew up in Orange County. I'm trying to find out what to do for the next year to best prepare myself for when I'm out. I have plans on finishing my degree in nuclear engineering technology through Excelsior College before I get out. Do power plants actually acknowledge the ABET certification that this college endorses? I've been done a lot of QA work as QAC and QAI. I've started the process for qualifying EWS but will this pay off? Does anybody know if there are frequent job openings for somebody with my qualifications? If so, about what kind of hours and pay would I be looking at? I appreciate any responses

JustinHEMI05

Re: MM2 getting out <1 year
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2009, 01:50 »
Sounds like you would make a good candidate for a NLO. As far as that degree is concerned, yes it counts. Also, your EWS will make a bullet on the resume, but since its less than 2 years, it doesn't count for much except to maybe make you stand out against other 6 and outers who don't have it. So yes, try to get that done.

Good luck!

Justin

co60slr

« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2009, 06:50 »
I always hoped that I'd end up working at a power plant like SONGS in San Onofre, CA primarily for its location since I grew up in Orange County.

1. Don't limit yourself to any one location.  In my experience, pick a job/career and then look for an opening somewhere and get your foot in the door.  If location is really more important than your career, then you obviously search for a broad variety of career options (e.g., non-nuclear) in your primary area. That's a completely different job search. Why not send a resume to your home state utility, but also send it out to other companies in locations that you'd be willing to accept an offer?  As you work your way up the civilian corporate ranks, you can make you way back to CA...as the job/opportunities allow.

I have plans on finishing my degree in nuclear engineering technology through Excelsior College before I get out. Do power plants actually acknowledge the ABET certification that this college endorses?

2. Excellent.  ABET is a certification for a technical college program.  It's not a matter of an employer acknowledging the college's credentials...it's a matter of do you have the combination of education and experience they're looking for?   No, you're not qualified to design new reactors...but it doesn't seem like you're looking for that anyway.  There are dissenting opinions on the value of Nuclear Engineering Technology degrees in the Forum (see other posts); however, keep in mind you can continue into a full engineering graduate program with your Excelsior undergrad degree.  Get accepted into a MS Engineering Program (e.g., http://www.smu.edu/) and put that on your resume.

I've started the process for qualifying EWS but will this pay off?

3. I don't think that getting a few sigs on the EWS/EDPO qual cards will count for much.   There's enough experience in the industry that understands what it means for a CO to qualify you and let you stand watch for 3+ years.  I haven't heard of "bonus points" for sigs on an unfinished card.

Good luck.
Co60

BetaAnt

« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2009, 07:38 »
Go to the NRC website and research which companies are building new units (Duke Energy and Southern Company are two that come to mind immediately). Apply for a position with these companies and go up the corporate ladder. Do not land lock yourself to any one geographic location. You have got to leave the nest someday and be your own person.

Good Luck and see ya' DTR,

BA  8) 8) 8)

Domegren

« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2009, 02:16 »
Thanks for the feedback. So I take it getting qualified EWS wouldn't start me off any higher anywhere but it would help with more job opportunities right? How far ahead exactly would being qualified for 2-3 years put you in a civilian plant? Is it worth considering to reenlist for shore duty and would I be further ahead in the long run?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2009, 06:12 »
No it is not worth reenlisting to get EWS. You need at least 2 years or EWS to qualify for instant SRO, something that isn't necessary and is not the preferred path. There is nothing wrong with starting as an NLO or maintenance tech somewhere. The money is good all around and if you want to be an SRO, you WILL be. In fact, if you don't state that as your goal in your interview, you might get passed over.

Get out, be an NLO or whatever, and start on a career that will be very lucrative and rewarding starting year 1.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Justin
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2009, 06:14 by JustinHEMI »

M1Ark

« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2009, 02:46 »
Thanks for the feedback. So I take it getting qualified EWS wouldn't start me off any higher anywhere but it would help with more job opportunities right? How far ahead exactly would being qualified for 2-3 years put you in a civilian plant? Is it worth considering to reenlist for shore duty and would I be further ahead in the long run?

Do not reenlist.  Get out and be an NLO. 3 years later get your RO license. 3 years layer get your SRO license.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?