Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuclear Engineer Graduate

Author Topic: Nuclear Engineer Graduate  (Read 7602 times)

thestellarinc

Nuclear Engineer Graduate
« on: Sep 28, 2009, 02:38 »
Hey everyone, Ive been a member/stalker for a while now but don't post. I'm about to graduate with my B.S. in nuclear engineering from UW-Madison. I have plenty of work experience but nothing related to the field and also my GPA is good but I seem to be having some trouble getting interviews. Ive been applying for operator and entry level design positions mostly through company websites but also places like monster.com. I'm just wondering if anyone here that is already in the industry has any connections and could make any recommendations for me.

Thanks
-Brent

Offline Jeff J

• Light User
Re: Nuclear Engineer Graduate
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2009, 03:20 »
You can also apply for system engineer jobs and reactor engineer jobs on the websites (I am assuming you are looking for a job at a plant).  A lot of the websites will post jobs for engineers at the plants that you might be interested in using the generic term "engineer" or "engineer I" also.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2009, 06:54 »
Nothing that 6 years at sea wouldn't fix ;)

good luck!

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2009, 11:39 »
Have you tried GE, Westinghouse, AREVA, and the NRC?  All of them were hiring big time in the recent past.

thestellarinc

« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2009, 12:12 »
Nothing that 6 years at sea wouldn't fix ;)

good luck!
Ive been thinking about doing the Navy thing but I really would rather work at a plant instead.

Have you tried GE, Westinghouse, AREVA, and the NRC?  All of them were hiring big time in the recent past.
I've tried applied at GE, Westinghouse, and Ive looked around a little bit at the NRC site. I forgot about AREVA, I will look to see what they have to offer.

Offline Jeff J

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2009, 01:35 »
Areva is going to be hiring 1000 people a month, according to a report in The Times Online.  Northrop Grumman Newport News was hiring for their CVN-21 (nuclear aircraft carrier) and VCS (nuclear submarine) projects all summer also.  A shipyard is kind of like a plant.  Just a little more airy.  They do not seem to pay as well as the utilities though.

thestellarinc

« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2009, 01:53 »
The Areva website only lists 36 positions and none of them are nuclear. I applied for all the Nuclear Engineer I positions at Northrop and Grumman just recently.

co60slr

« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2009, 10:10 »
The Areva website only lists 36 positions and none of them are nuclear. I applied for all the Nuclear Engineer I positions at Northrop and Grumman just recently.
What utilities are you most interested in?  Which ones have your resume?

thestellarinc

« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2009, 11:44 »
I want to stay close to home and in the midwest if I can so Im most interested in Exelon in IL or the Point Beach or Kewaunee plants in WI. Those being owned by Next Era Energy and Dominion. Ive also applied for Progress, FPL, Duke, Xcel, PG&E, Constellation, Entergy, and Southern Nuclear...Im really willing to relocate anywhere as I understand I cant be picky.

I have a contact in the Point Beach plant who is hopefully going to try and pull some strings for me but as of now there are no open positions there.

thestellarinc

« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2009, 11:58 »
I'm really just looking for any entry level position working for a utility or a company that does design engineering. Im interested in all aspects of engineering and wouldn't mind getting experience doing design work with a project team, or operating experience and move up to get an SRO. I was hoping it wasn't going to be too tough with a 3.4 GPA from Univ. of Wisconsin Madison but it looks like it is harder than everyone makes it sound. I still have a little time though, I don't graduate til December.

Offline Jeff J

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2009, 08:56 »
First Energy runs plants in the midwest and PPL has a site in NE Pennsylvania.  I know PPL has a few engineer jobs posted (the nuclear plant jobs have the location listed as "Berwick"), not sure about FENOC.

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2009, 02:21 »
I earned my BS in Nuclear Engineering from Texas A&M in 2004 and I know how tough it is to get a job.  Start off as a NLO and then move up.  That is what I did and now I have my NRC License.  Times are tough and companies are not hiring unless they have to.  Operators are needed and that is where the jobs are going to be for now.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?