Career Path > Coming Back

Getting Back In

<< < (3/4) > >>

Fermi2:
One of the managers at Dominion told me the only SROs they're hiring these days are either Upgrades, Instants from In House, or SRO licensed at other utilities who come to Dominion as Instants.

I'm curious have you checked www.dom.com??

Mike

Prairieson:
Yes, I have been watching the websites for openings, but nothing can substitute for good old fashioned human contact.  It seems like online submissions are easily lost.  I don't know, maybe I just don't trust computers that much.  Anyway, the Millstone HR department told me as much yesterday, although they had some engineering positions they were going to refer me for.

Prairieson

Fermi2:
I stay away from HR Departments. I just call the Ops Department when I'm interested. HR Departments are the death of an applicant.

Here's a suggestion that worked GREAT for me when I was doing my job search out of the Navy.
Go to your library and see if they have Standard And Poors (which gives corporate structure and bond ratings) It'll give you a good idea of a companies economic health.

It ALSO usually has the Higher Ups names in it, for instance the VP Of Nuke Gen, sometimes even plant managers.

Send all the people on the Nuclear End your resume up to and including the CEO.
Whether they look at it or not they or their secretary will stamp it and send it to HR and Nuclear Generation. When those departments see it they see the stamp and assume the people who sent it to them did so for a reason and will at least show some interest.

This mechanism got me 13 interviews, and 4 more after I hired in at Fermi.

I learned that technique from Navy PreCap school.

Mike

Prairieson:
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that approach.  I think I might try that.

CheeseheadNuke:
Kewaunee will be a Dominion plant after our fall outage.
Heather Schroeder is our NMC HR contact: (920) 388-8232
Jeff Stafford is our OPS  Manager: 388-8328
Pat Ehlen is our I&C manager: 388-8320
Walt HUnt is our training manager 388-8786

Lucky Wroniewicz is our Dominion transition manager if you want to try that route: 388-8173. Everybody says he's a real nice guy.

By the way, we union folks here are not NMC employees. We are still WPS employees and are members of IUOE Local 310 - that's operating engineers. Our contract is guaranteed to remain as is by federal labor law until 30 months after the plant sale, so there aren't too many unknowns for us.

Hope this helps.

CheeseHead

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version