Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Thermoluminescent Dosimetry and Intramucosal Fibroids honeypot

Author Topic: Thermoluminescent Dosimetry and Intramucosal Fibroids  (Read 6143 times)

LuckyKid

Does anyone know if they're going to yoink my TLD if I have benign but growing tumors in my uterus? thx.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Thermoluminescent Dosimetry and Intramucosal Fibroids
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2009, 09:09 »
depends upon where you are (DOE vs Commercial, etc) and exactly what treatment protocal your doctor prescribes. Various nuclear medicine applications are used in both diagnosis and treatment. Make sure you explain to your doc where you work, and the level of rad monitoring that goes on there. RP doesn't like surprise nuke med alarms at the portals - especially when the patient hasn't been informed either...

Good luck.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

LuckyKid

« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2009, 02:34 »
I'm attached to cvn-71, the USS Roosevelt. My current doc's a ship's Lieutenant, but I will probably be sent to an obgyn soon. I'm worried about the CRA (The chem/radcon commander) having a freak out.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2009, 08:26 »
I'm attached to cvn-71, the USS Roosevelt. My current doc's a ship's Lieutenant, but I will probably be sent to an obgyn soon. I'm worried about the CRA (The chem/radcon commander) having a freak out.

If you are given therapeutic or diagnostic isotopes yes, Gamma knife no. Best to just ask, the tumors in themselves should not be an issue.

JsonD13

« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2009, 11:33 »
The CRA shouldnt "freak out"  just tell him if you are going to have radioisotope treatment (thats where they inject you with radioactive material).  Reason why is because they HAVE to yank your TLD if you have this type of treatment.  Its only temporary though until the isotope has cleared your system.  The CRA should have nothing to freak out about this, unless you are the only qualified ELT on board.  Dont worry yourself too, youll still be a nuke (even more so) after the treatment.

Jason

Evilpixie

« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2009, 06:55 »
Fibroids generally are not treated with radiation.  They are not life threatening and therefore, most doctors tend to use the "wait and see" approach with them or try to shrink them with hormone treatments, such as putting you on the pill.  They are not easily removed via surgery; if they can be, some doctors try to remove those that are easily accessible.  In very rare occurences they can interfere with you having children.  Very rare for that.  They are pretty common, 20-50% of women get them; at one point in time I and some of my friends have had them.  None of us ever had radiation treatments for them.

Radiation treatments are the only reason you'd get your TLD yanked.  I seriously doubt you'll have radiation treatments. 

Hope this helps!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?