Career Path > General

Fusion vs Fission

<< < (4/45) > >>

Content1:
something to add.   The director of the NIF (Search youtude under "NIF") feels fusion will be proven as a technology to pursue in 2 years, not 50.   Once you achieved controlled nuclear fusion, and can repeat it with certainty, it can be developed into energy producing units.  (Much like the Wright Brothers proved the viability of power assisted flight). We have tried various methods of fusion over the last 50 years, but not with success.   You must understand up to now, we have never achieved controlled fusion producing energy greater then that expended to produce it.  They videos explain Spring of 2010 is where these first milestones are scheduled.  Stay tuned, it is not as exciting as the first Moon landing, but its impact cannot be measured how it will impact our lives.

B.PRESGROVE:
Again, ok we understand that the experiments are still going on and you have made some head way.....buuutttt you are a long way off from making a viable reactor to produce power for the grid.  By a long way I mean the 20 to 50 year marks.  I think it would be great to get fussion to work on a commercial scale, but we cant afford to wait right now.  We need power yesterday.  Not only that but where in the world do we have anything that can withstand 1,000,000 degrees of heat?  That is so unimaginably hot that my eyes are watering just thinking about it.

Fussion reactor on earth at 1,000,000+ dgrees = earth surface of molten, doesnt everything evaporate at that temp? (sorry I have to pick just a little) ;)

B.PRESGROVE:
100 Karma to you Content for your passion on this subject though.  Good job.

thenuttyneutron:
http://nextbigfuture.com/2009/06/iec-fusion-wb7-wb8-and-wb9-information.html#

As I stated above, the kind of Fusion you are after is probably never going to work.  This device is about the only thing I have seen that might hold any value.  The fusion can be with hydrogen and boron.  This would be aneutronic fusion.  This means very few neutrons are produced and only 3 helium nuclei per reaction.

The energy would be mostly tied up in the KE of the He nuclei.  Even Tesla could have built an energy conversion device back when the airplane was being developed with the existing technologies.

thenukeman:
Matter Anti Matter reaction produces most energy.

Propulsion Type            Specific Impulse [sec]
Chemical Bipropellant         200 - 410
Electromagnetic              1200 - 5000
Nuclear Fission                 500 - 3000
Nuclear Fusion                10+4 - 10+5
Antimatter Annihilation      10+3 - 10+6

Penn State is working on Antimatter

Basically 100 milligrams of Antimatter to get the thrust of the space shuttle.

http://www.engr.psu.edu/antimatter/introduction2.html

Being that Fusion is  difficult, maybe a breakthrough in antimatter as the cleanest energy which is pure energy conversion will bypass fusion.  Thats what I hope for!!  And It all can be made in the USA!!!!!

Maybe we should call this Fission vs Fusion vs Antimatter!!  LOL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version