Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu the lingo
honeypot

Author Topic: the lingo  (Read 5553 times)

Offline TEX-INSP

• Light User
the lingo
« on: Oct 03, 2009, 02:06 »
I am new to the nuke business and new to this forum. What are all the abbreviations you'll use on here?
Techs??
RP? etc...
By the way..any fellow inspectors out there?

thenuttyneutron

Re: the lingo
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2009, 08:06 »
RP:  Radiation Protection.  These are the guys running around with detectors.  They make sure people don't get too much dose and cuss about the messes that operators sometimes make.

Offline cairnit

• Moderate User
  • I love my job........
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2009, 08:17 »
Techs = RP (see definition in above post)

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2009, 10:54 »
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5062.0.html 

Here's a good guide to many of the acronyms.  Don't be surprised by the the number of ones that have more than one meaning.  One trend I've started seeing is that the something is spoken of by the whole name the first time it's mentioned in a brief or document and then the acronym is used after that. 

No matter what, don't hesitate to ask what an acronym means if you're not sure.  For example: "When you say RCP you're talking about the Reactor Coolant Pump, right?" 

Best of luck & Welcome to Nukeworker!

Tom
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2009, 03:32 »
I am new to the nuke business and new to this forum. What are all the abbreviations you'll use on here?
Techs??
RP? etc...
By the way..any fellow inspectors out there?

Welcome to the land of acronyms. We have one for anything. We can take a 3 letter word and come up with an acronym for it. It gets kinda crazy to say the least and can create confusion for even those of us who have been around for a while. It's kinda like ebonics, it evolves every day and sometimes differently at different sites. Good luck trying to figure them all out, I've given up.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline TEX-INSP

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2009, 01:21 »
Lol sounds good I will learn them as I go i guess. Also what is the typical yearly nuke outage season?

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2009, 08:37 »
 :) Tex-Insp Welcome to the forum!! It will take you some time to get the jest of all the acronyms !! Spring and Fall ???

Offline TEX-INSP

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2009, 11:02 »
Thanks for the welcoming and all the answers to my newbie questions

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?