Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Newbie Questions honeypot

Author Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 3352 times)

Offline TEX-INSP

• Light User
Newbie Questions
« on: Oct 04, 2009, 02:30 »
I'm coming from the oil industry to the nuke industry and I would like to know a few things.

What is the proper minimal work attire at most nuke plants?
Are you required to be clean shaved?
Do the plants allow you to smoke cigarettes?
Are cell phones allowed on the property?
Is there any kind of personal radiation monitor you wear?

« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2009, 02:31 by TEX-INSP »

Content1

Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2009, 09:11 »
There is a sign on the entry to most most plants, "Abandon all hope all ye who enter herein."   We all wear suits and ties.  Many wear beards and look like pirates.  You can smoke but only if you are on fire.  Cell phones are allowed until you get caught.  We used to wear TLD's and Electonic dosimeters, all were made obsolete when it was discovered taking two "No Dose" tablets prevented any radiation exposure. 

I hope you take with a grain of salt any of your possible answers received here.

Offline TEX-INSP

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2009, 01:44 »
LOL ???

Now can I get a serious answer?

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2009, 03:27 »
I wear what is provided to me.  The uniforms are black jeans and a green or white long sleeve, cotton, button down shirt.

I am required to be clean shaved if I stand Fire Brigade duties.

We are allowed to smoke in a designated area.  I don't smoke so I don't care.

I am allowed to use cell phones but they are restricted in certain areas like the control room or near sensitive electronics.

We wear thermal luminescent dosimeters (TLDs) and digital display dosimeters.

Your results will vary depending on the plant.  Don't worry about these things now.  Focus on getting the access and they will train you with what you need to know.

Offline TEX-INSP

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2009, 04:20 »
Sounds good. Access shouldn't be any problem. I have no criminal record and only one speeding ticket in my life.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?