Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Best ways to get on the good side of superiors
honeypot

Author Topic: Best ways to get on the good side of superiors  (Read 31217 times)

lwrozans

Best ways to get on the good side of superiors
« on: Oct 07, 2009, 08:45 »
I'm not trying to turn this thread into a self-improvement seminar, I would simply like to know, what is the best way to go about having superiors (officers at A-school, instructors, etc) notice you are making an effort to be the best addition to the nuclear program you can be.
I'm aware that giving your best effort doesn't necessarily mean that it is good enough. The more I read into these things, the more I see, "being in good standings with your higher-ups is the only way to win".
Is this true?
What are the best ways to go about this without blatantly looking like a brown-noser to the point of annoyance?

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
Re: Best ways to get on the good side of superiors
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2009, 09:01 »
Do your job, do it right, and keep the whining to a minimum. You do NOT need to be a brown noser to be a good sailor, but you do need to follow orders and keep your nose clean!  Trust me that they will take notice of you if you are diligent, attentive to your duties/studies, and keep your appearance up.  Do your very best and let the chips fall where they may.  Remember you can take satisfaction from failure knowing that you tried to the best of your abilities to succeed. 

PS: Appearance is a bigger factor that you can imagine.  I missed out being a distinguished honor graduate from my advanced operator school because a pen exploded in my breast pocket while standing in formation for inspection. Happened right in front of the inspector and he still nailed me on it.  Several instructors argued on my behalf but the MC who was the inspector would have none of it.  Look sharp, act smartly, and do your best.
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

lwrozans

« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2009, 09:27 »
Haha
At least I didn't start a thread saying I'm the best thing to ever happen to the USN and that everyone should polish my shoes
I can't win with you guys.  :P
I'd just like to know your maneuvers in being a more (with lack of a better word) attractive soldier to your betters
I'm not saying I'm an idiot, I'm not saying I'm a genius.
I would just like advice

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2009, 09:35 »
Just to add to what stormgoalie said, I always say the same things to young sailors starting out;

Keep your hair in spec.
Keep your boots black.
Keep your uniform pressed.
Keep your chin shaved.
And say sir/ma'am/chief at the end of every sentence.

Believe it or not, being militarily squared away will make you stand out these days.

Good luck!

justin

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2009, 09:38 »
Haha
At least I didn't start a thread saying I'm the best thing to ever happen to the USN and that everyone should polish my shoes
I can't win with you guys.  :P

You are at least perceptive  ;)

I'd just like to know your maneuvers in being a more (with lack of a better word) attractive soldier to your betters

The term is superiors, as in increased responsibility, "better" is not always the case. Think of how you can help him/her do his/her job as that is the job of your unit as a whole (you will be assimilated).

I'm not saying I'm an idiot, I'm not saying I'm a genius.
I would just like advice

We will be the judge of that.

I would like a push-pull bet of 50 quatloos on the newcomer, outcome undecided.

lwrozans

« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2009, 09:48 »
I understand the play on words that is the word "superiors", but for all intensive purposes, I will be a school boy. My superiors will be past the point which I will be going through.
I also now understand that looking the part is a significant part of being on the favorable side of my instructors and the like. But, what character attributes truly stand out?
I would like to build as many bridges as possible during my time in the USN
I am not enlisting to prove a point to my peers or to show everyone that I am better than them (if anyone has read any of my statements in my other thread, you understand that I am nowhere near being up to snuff in the "character" department)
I am enlisting to do something with my life and would like to make it into as dynamic a process as possible.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2009, 10:16 »
You are at least perceptive  ;)

The term is superiors, as in increased responsibility, "better" is not always the case. Think of how you can help him/her do his/her job as that is the job of your unit as a whole (you will be assimilated).

We will be the judge of that.

I would like a push-pull bet of 50 quatloos on the newcomer, outcome undecided.

I like this guy. I will take that bet for a favorable outcome.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2009, 10:21 »
I understand the play on words that is the word "superiors", but for all intensive purposes, I will be a school boy. My superiors will be past the point which I will be going through.
I also now understand that looking the part is a significant part of being on the favorable side of my instructors and the like. But, what character attributes truly stand out?
I would like to build as many bridges as possible during my time in the USN
I am not enlisting to prove a point to my peers or to show everyone that I am better than them (if anyone has read any of my statements in my other thread, you understand that I am nowhere near being up to snuff in the "character" department)
I am enlisting to do something with my life and would like to make it into as dynamic a process as possible.

If you are asking how to be a suck up I will have to change my bet to 50 quatloos against.

The key is being a team player and listening, you haven't. It's not rocket science, focus more on your job, the needs of group, and lose any attitude you may have. I can say as a manager it can get tiresome when %90 of your people think they belong in the top %10 of performers.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2009, 10:21 »

A fruit-scented perfume is a good start, an edible t-shirt....oh heck, just go subs!  :P
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2009, 10:24 by HydroDave63 »

Offline stormgoalie

• Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2009, 10:29 »

A fruit-scented perfume is a good start, an edible t-shirt....oh heck, just go subs!  :P

I heard it was a leather vest, no t-shirt, and chaps for the sub guys ;D Sorry couldn't help myself, being a surface puke and all :D
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2009, 10:31 by stormgoalie »
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2009, 10:31 »
I heard it was a leather vest, no t-shirt, and chaps for the sub guys ;D

Chains on your nipple rings is a plus.

lwrozans

« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2009, 10:32 »
hahaha
I'm actually laughing, Dave

Marlin, I'm not requesting advice on ways to be a suck up
There is a line though; where respect to superiors and brown-nosing meet
I want to stay on the respect side of that line
I'm honestly trying to be humble but also prepare myself to be a respectable kid
I know this forum is not cotillion, but I would like to know any military gentleman protocol

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2009, 10:54 »
Marlin, I'm not requesting advice on ways to be a suck up
There is a line though; where respect to superiors and brown-nosing meet
I want to stay on the respect side of that line
I'm honestly trying to be humble but also prepare myself to be a respectable kid
I know this forum is not cotillion, but I would like to know any military gentleman protocol

If you are asking how to be a suck up I will have to change my bet to 50 quatloos against.

The key is being a team player and listening, you haven't. It's not rocket science, focus more on your job, the needs of group, and lose any attitude you may have. I can say as a manager it can get tiresome when %90 of your people think they belong in the top %10 of performers.

For a manager there is a 80/20 rule, you will spend %80 percent of your time on %20 percent of your people usually that is not a good thing for the %20. In a group where most of your time is taken up with the job that is especially true. To put it another way be respectfull and professional and focus on your job. Me and some of my fellow curmugeons have 30 years or more in the business and or Navy listening would be a good thing and losing the attitude would be another. You can be offended by my advice or you can think about it.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.   D.M.  ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2009, 11:08 by Marlin »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2009, 10:57 »

The poster exudes a flair for vanity at roughly 700 milliObama/cm2 ...

I wager 50 quatloos against the newcomer, with 50 quatloo bonus for no waiver for the college "distribution" thingie...

lwrozans

« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2009, 11:06 »
All in time, my friends

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 07, 2009, 11:10 »
All in time, my friends

My wager stands at 50 quatloos push-pull.

Good luck young thrall.  :)

Offline stormgoalie

• Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 07, 2009, 11:12 »
The poster exudes a flair for vanity at roughly 700 milliObama/cm2 ...

I wager 50 quatloos against the newcomer, with 50 quatloo bonus for no waiver for the college "distribution" thingie...

I would take the bet(s), but my quatloos are too precious to risk.  Jury is still out on our young apprentice so I must be prudent ;D

bigdog46

« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2009, 06:04 »
Stormgoalie you were an HT (glorified turd chaser) admit it, you wanted to be a submariner.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #18 on: Oct 07, 2009, 06:23 »
I'm not trying to turn this thread into a self-improvement seminar, I would simply like to know, what is the best way to go about having superiors (officers at A-school, instructors, etc) notice you are making an effort to be the best addition to the nuclear program you can be.
I'm aware that giving your best effort doesn't necessarily mean that it is good enough. The more I read into these things, the more I see, "being in good standings with your higher-ups is the only way to win".
Is this true?
What are the best ways to go about this without blatantly looking like a brown-noser to the point of annoyance?
Your job the first two years, plus or minus, is to stay anonymous.  You stay anonymous by doing what you're told, doing well in school, and staying on the straight and narrow.  Nobody is going to give a rat's ass about your past so long as you meet the standards.  Once you make it to your boat/ship, your first job is to qualify a watch.  Excel at your primary duty - quals.  Once you qualify, become an expert at your rating.  Remember, any job worth doing, is worth doing right.  Keep a positive attitude.  You do not have to be perfect.  Being above average or excellent in all areas will make you an outstanding Sailor and nuke.  This will not happen overnight, but in the end, it will get you noticed by your superiors. 

Good Luck
DDM

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: Oct 07, 2009, 07:09 »
+1 to DDM!  Do what he said!

It's not as easy as it sounds though...  Have long term goals and constantly work for them, if you don't you'll get lost in the swamp of "Why is it 1800 and I'm still here?" crap.  It's going to suck sometimes, especially once you get to the boat (or ship, whatever).  Suck it up and remember your goals!

In my 21 years in the Navy I NEVER tried to do something because it made my bosses happy, I did it because it was the right thing to do...

Best of luck!

Jay
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Offline stormgoalie

• Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 08, 2009, 09:56 »
Stormgoalie you were an HT (glorified turd chaser) admit it, you wanted to be a submariner.

OUCH, you wound me........ Wasn't an HT, but ok wasn't nuke either...... Heck spent most of my time in the Oil/Chem lab ;D

bigdog46

« Reply #21 on: Oct 08, 2009, 03:59 »
I forgot BT HT not much difference.  LOL

Offline Vorschau

• Very Lite User
« Reply #22 on: Oct 08, 2009, 06:01 »
I'm still extremely new here to NNPTC but here's my two cents.

You don't want to stand out. I know you want to make a good impression, but honestly the way this system is set up the only people you will actually form a professional bond with are your instructors, because honestly you won't spend any other time with your SLPO, and definitely not any of the officers. The only time you see the senior people are at graduations and indoctrination briefings, or if you put in an officer package and are getting interviewed for it. Any other contact than that is because of disciplinary actions. Course failures don't even see officers to my knowledge, just the CM of your department.

I've seen the spectrum of both things here in NFAS (A-school). I've seen the "S**tbags" here, we had a roll-in who is already out of our class into MilDiv for getting masted under General S**tbaggery (Shorting study hours, falling asleep during class time, failing inspection, course failure, etc.). I've also seen our "Squared Away" sailor, who is just an extreme brown-noser. Our SLPO liked him at first, but it's starting to go the complete opposite direction I believe because he is the first person to snitch at little things and waste our Chief's time over petty issues that should be handled at the lowest level. Nobody likes a brown noser, and nobody likes a snitch. I'm not telling you to lie about anything or hide things, I'm just saying be careful with what you pass on. Despite what this guy thinks, 99% of the class doesn't like him because he constantly sucks up because he's trying to get into an officer program.

The best thing you can do is become completely unnoticed. Other than a couple very minor incidents in the very beginning of classing up, I haven't been talked to by my Chief other than routine interviews -at all-. You do your work, you do your study hours that are mandated to you, and you look your best. The biggest thing here is your haircut. Uniforms are easy to keep in regulations with NWU's here, so that's not much to worry about. Shine your boots every week or two, get a haircut every week, and for formal inspections take some time on your neckerchief and making sure if you're in your whites that it's as clean as possible and ironed. For inspections here it's a lot easier than in boot camp, the biggest thing they stress is haircuts, so I suggest just getting a haircut the day before inspection. You'll know when you have formal ones plenty of time before it actually occurs.

You'll do whatever you want, and that's cool. People are a lot cockier before they get to boot camp generally. Just remember what all the people on these forums are telling you. People very senior and then people like me, a NUB in NFAS still, just do your job and be professional. You won't be noticed quickly at all, but as they say it will pay off and I can tell it will. When you get to the fleet, suck it up and qualify ASAP. That and keeping a positive attitude will take you far.

Best of luck, and if you hit NNPTC before next August feel free to PM me and I'll show you around the place and get you squared away for classing up.

Class 0947-A, graduate NFAS November 13th
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2009, 08:20 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #23 on: Oct 08, 2009, 06:34 »

Keep your hair in spec.
Keep your boots black.
Keep your uniform pressed.
Keep your chin shaved.
And say sir/ma'am/chief at the end of every sentence.

Maybe it was the former Marine in me, but when I joined the Navy I did just as you listed.  I didn't like looking like a scrounge when in uniform, and doing so would invite the malevolent attention of the XO or Department Head, as well as more than one Chief.  Simply maintaining a military appearance and bearing is always great advice.  No sense giving them low-hanging fruit to hit you with. (Sorry, I sometimes can't resist using INPO-esque jargon).
Dave

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #24 on: Oct 08, 2009, 06:46 »
LOL I must have heard "low hanging fruit" a dozen times today in the simulator.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?