Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Outage positive reinforcement  

Author Topic: Outage positive reinforcement  (Read 26670 times)

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
Outage positive reinforcement
« on: Oct 12, 2009, 05:07 »
The latest "buzz" concept is outage behavior modification through positive reinforcement.

The current site I'm working for has as their behavior modification a process where as a supervisor or manager witnessing good work behavior will issue a coupon "at-a-boy" with a outage slogan theme. The worker redeems this for a reward----When the coupon is turned in the worker gets to select from a cabinet his choice of candy, with the coupon put in a raffle to be drawn at the end of the outage for a TV, ipod, or other gizmo.

This reminds me of how I train my dog with a pat on the head with a toss of kibble along with the phrase "good boy"

What do you think?
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Content1

Re: Outage positive reinforcement
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2009, 06:42 »
The positive reinforcement for doing a job right is you keep your job.

BetaAnt

« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2009, 06:49 »
It will only work if properly applied. So many sites (commercial and DOE) will exempt or limit rent-a-techs and other subs from the process. The r-a-t may get the kibble but not the iPod.  :o
Some sites (supervisors) may stuff the ballot box with his friends, but that would be cynical.  ::)

Good idea in practice, but lacks the appropriate checks and balances.  8)

BA  8) 8) 8)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2009, 08:44 »
When you pay me what I'm worth I can buy my own dam candy,....

Bingo.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Jeff J

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2009, 10:58 »
One outage I scored a free ham.  It was a proud day for me.

Chimera

« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2009, 11:05 »
In my humble opinion, too many of these "outage positive reinforcement" awards are handed out for doing the job that was I hired to do.  I once received an "outage award" for always wearing my PPE.  Of course, that individual wasn't there when I got a handful of splinters and learned the hard way to always wear my PPE.  Besides, I didn't take the job to get some sort of award.  I took the job to get a paycheck.

Which takes me to my second point: The punch line to an old story says, "We'd like to pay you what you're worth, but there are minimum wage laws in this state."  I'm just glad I haven't always been paid what I was "worth" to the job.

As a roadie, my primary "reward" is coming back for the next outage at a plant that I like and working with people I respect.  The money isn't incidental but it is an excellent accompaniment to working in an acceptable working environment with people who help me do my job even better.

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2009, 02:55 »
I'd be embarrassed to administer an incentive program that was the equivalent of a kid getting a bag of penny candy. 

At Browns Ferry this past spring we had a couple of incentive programs.  One for beating "challenge" dose goals on jump tickets, and another for the safety program.  I ran the ALARA deal.  People who beat their dose goals dropped their jump tickets off and I'd pull one out for a $25 Lowe's card.  The safety program also had gift cards as well as big-ticket items on random drawings.  I'm not sure any of it made a difference.  One thing most of the winners didn't realize is we had to track each award and report them to corporate.  I don't know the figure, but at some point when a worker (TVA or contractor) reached a certain amount in incentive awards it became a tax issue, with either TVA or the contract company adding it to the W-2 or 1099.
Dave

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2009, 09:18 »
These programs have been proven especially successful with the Gen-X/Gen-Y age groups. 

There are actually human resource types who specialize in teaching management how to deal with the younger people entering the workforce...and positive reinforcement/recognition programs are one of the major tools... 
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

BuddyThePug

« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2009, 10:33 »
Ni hao!  8)

Content1

« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2009, 12:08 »
Awright then!!,...Human resources types have sold upper management on the paradigm that Gen-X/Gen-Y workers are better motivated by a bag of candy, than a job well done recognized with commensurate financial compensation.

And we wonder why the Chicoms are kicking our asses,... :P :P :P :P :P

All I ever got from the candy rewards is a case of diabetes, would have preferred money.

gotnoname19

« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2009, 02:24 »
There was an incentive program at the outage that I just came from. It seemed like a fun idea, I dont see what all of the contention is about. I mean I could see the problem if nuclear paid like crap, but honestly, the reason we are all here is because it pays really well.

Motown homey

« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2009, 03:15 »
There was an incentive program at the outage that I just came from. It seemed like a fun idea, I dont see what all of the contention is about. I mean I could see the problem if nuclear paid like crap, but honestly, the reason we are all here is because it pays really well.

Well, all things being equal, I am just an itinerant HP Tech, and HP Techs can bitch without having anything to really bitch about.  Hell, most nukes are like that - just look at the boards.

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2009, 03:26 »
Well, all things being equal, I am just an itinerant HP Tech, and HP Techs can bitch without having anything to really bitch about.  Hell, most nukes are like that - just look at the boards.

One of the first sayings I learned when I got in RP was "A bitchy RP tech is a happy RP tech" ;D Seems to still be true to this day :D
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

Paul

« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2009, 07:06 »
Hey good behaviors get you candy and good rad practices get you the snazzy ALARA gear!
They just want you to forget you are not getting a COL increase! :o :D

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2009, 08:57 »
A little more grist for the Mill:

Just an empirically derived field observation, the Outage daily newsletter publishes the winners of the “candy coupons”. Of the outage demographics, the majority of the crafts are older crusty sweaty workmen. Of the coupon winner list, there seems to be a disappropriate  number of young attractive females winners that their job function involves fire extinguishers, FME logs, and masslinn mops.
My father use to tell me about a time in France when Nylons and Chocolate bars could get you…….
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Fermi2

« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2009, 12:24 »
Here's some reinforcement, if you do your job I won't put my foot in your a**. Too often what we are reinforcing as good work is simply someone doing what we pay them to do ie THEIR JOB!

Mike

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #16 on: Oct 14, 2009, 05:10 »
Zilla,

Exactly....a "good job" from a manager every now and then goes a long way. Other than that, all this talk of prizes and crap is kind of ridiculous.

Reward me with paid time off or something and save the coupons and candy.

Document in my record that I did something that exceeded expectations, so a year from now during my annual review its right there.

Jason

Fermi2

« Reply #17 on: Oct 14, 2009, 06:59 »
Zilla,

Exactly....a "good job" from a manager every now and then goes a long way. Other than that, all this talk of prizes and crap is kind of ridiculous.

Reward me with paid time off or something and save the coupons and candy.

Document in my record that I did something that exceeded expectations, so a year from now during my annual review its right there.

Jason

Pizza and Ice Cream and every so often I take them all to a dinner and pay for them and their wives.

Mike

Offline nowhereman

• Moderate User
« Reply #18 on: Oct 14, 2009, 08:46 »
Actually I was hoping that "outage positive reinforcement" was a fully staffed outage. All too many times it is"sorry were short 12 seniors" .....aka ..sorry you have to stay over and finish writing your surveys....or no  the juniors are too busy to go out do surveys with you....  but here's a bartlett hat and and a pen for the 8 1/2 stretch in the can yesterday..
Every time I read Scott Adams Dilbert, I have to believe he is in outage management .....like this Sundays Dilbert comic..... are they secretly reading TPS or lean concepts? using their time in the OCC to study up on kaizen and kanban ....maybe they could get us R02's with green /red lights, you know that visual management kanban system.

oops,  sorry for the rant....

Content1

« Reply #19 on: Oct 14, 2009, 01:14 »
Negative reinforcement was the menthod last Spring.  Imply the outage would last 4 weeks, cut everyone at two weeks at Surry because the "Outage went so well." (Reinforcing doing well=less money in pocket). 

At North Anna last Spring, it was "Show up to the outage on time and we sent you to your motel for 3 1/2 days paying only per diem to save company money."   Reinforces techs don't need work, waste their time if it saves us a buck, then send them home quickly for a "Good outage."

All this reinforcement lead to me examining my bank account and realizing I earn 1/2 as much as the previous year during the same period, so it reinforced me to become a house tech.   I will also note they didn't use any postive reinforcement either at both places.

Fermi2

« Reply #20 on: Oct 14, 2009, 04:12 »
Negative reinforcement was the menthod last Spring.  Imply the outage would last 4 weeks, cut everyone at two weeks at Surry because the "Outage went so well." (Reinforcing doing well=less money in pocket). 

At North Anna last Spring, it was "Show up to the outage on time and we sent you to your motel for 3 1/2 days paying only per diem to save company money."   Reinforces techs don't need work, waste their time if it saves us a buck, then send them home quickly for a "Good outage."

All this reinforcement lead to me examining my bank account and realizing I earn 1/2 as much as the previous year during the same period, so it reinforced me to become a house tech.   I will also note they didn't use any postive reinforcement either at both places.

Has nothing to do with the topic. You took the job, you live with the pay and the decisions made. Stop whining.

Mike

johnnyreb

« Reply #21 on: Oct 14, 2009, 05:32 »
 this is certainly not a practice of BNI. for years of loyalty producing revenue of 6 or 7 figures the wont even spot you a measly $200 for your 401k. whos got the backup?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #22 on: Oct 14, 2009, 09:35 »
this is certainly not a practice of BNI. for years of loyalty producing revenue of 6 or 7 figures

not with gobbledy-goop like that!

Fail.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #23 on: Oct 14, 2009, 10:03 »
I take them all to a dinner and pay for them and their wives.  

Something like this ?  :P

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2009, 10:05 by HydroDave63 »

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #24 on: Oct 17, 2009, 03:32 »
I do believe in positive reinforcement. It works with kids, dogs and adults. However, adults are a bit smarter than dogs and most kids. I think giving out a trinket is a good idea and helps, but if it is not managed in the right way it just looks stupid and can feel a bit insulting because it feels like being treated like a child.

To me it's kind of like convincing people in church that if you behave, you will get this nice reward. That is more of a bribe to get people who otherwise might not do the right things to fall in line for a handout. Doesn't make them people who will naturally make the right choice every time unless they think someone (or God, or a supervisor...not to compare the two ;D) is watching.

What a management group should do for "real" and lasting culture change is treat people like adults. Include them in decision making even if it is on lower level items or empower them with desicion making abilities (at an appropriate responsibility level). Pay them. Reward them for going that extra mile to ensure a job goes right, but this should be a relatively rare occasion and for the things that are above and beyond. If you are treating people right and offering a nice package, you will end up recruiting good employees that do a good job for the sake of doing a good job and taking a little pride. You can't turn bad employee's into good ones with bribes. You can get them to behave to a certain degree, but a problem employee will eventually still be a problem employee if given the chance, and that is really important in our industry. What will a person do if no one is looking? That is called culture.

Sounds like a bandaid to me. It often times is a path a poor management group would take to avoid actually managing a problem.

I like reward systems if they applied correctly (most I have seen are not). Usually, if a management team is really amped up on a reward system, they are covering for their own deficiencies in the ability to manage the group.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #25 on: Oct 17, 2009, 03:37 »
Its a paycheck for all and a career for some.

Reward = Money
Reward = Paid Time Off
Reward = Documented

Save the lollipops and trinkets for reinforcing the 4 year old that pooped all by himself.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #26 on: Oct 17, 2009, 04:15 »
As my dear ol' dad use to say, "Screw the rewards you d*** a** just give me the money in my pay check, or if thats too complicated for you, open your wallet and insert money into my hand."  Simple yet affective.

Jr8black3

« Reply #27 on: Oct 17, 2009, 04:38 »
They tried this crap at fermi.. and give them a free ice cream,, bad thing was the cafe wasn't open then.. What a waste of time.. Free ice cream that you can't even get..

Bottom line is you do your job doesn't matter if on S/G platform or working the refuel floor, or the Turbine deck.. I never sighned on to a job for free ice cream.. I only go to make some $$$$...

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #28 on: Oct 17, 2009, 05:53 »
Free ice cream...that evokes a bad memory at Browns Ferry, and one they did to we house people since it was a "reward" for a forced outage.  On day shift the senior managers staffed an ice cream stand with all the fixings for cones, sundaes, etc.  Whipped cream, nuts, sprinkles, bananas, cherries.  That was on day shift.  Those of us on midshift got boxes of ice cream sandwiches and nutty buddies they left for us in the plant manager's break room freezer.  I had the high honor and rare privilege of being selected to hand them out to the backshift Craft, RP, Ops, and Security crews.  So I was the face of the lazy management that couldn't see fit to treat all shifts equally.   
Dave

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #29 on: Oct 18, 2009, 02:01 »
A little more grist for the Mill:

Just an empirically derived field observation, the Outage daily newsletter publishes the winners of the “candy coupons”. Of the outage demographics, the majority of the crafts are older crusty sweaty workmen. Of the coupon winner list, there seems to be a disappropriate  number of young attractive females winners that their job function involves fire extinguishers, FME logs, and masslinn mops.
My father use to tell me about a time in France when Nylons and Chocolate bars could get you…….

...and amazingly enough the winner of the ipod is a house person... "randomly selected"... and announced in the newsletter. Didn't say randomly drawn. Makes ya wonder. Been a great outage to be so short staffed.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #30 on: Oct 18, 2009, 07:00 »
...and amazingly enough the winner of the ipod is a house person... "randomly selected"... and announced in the newsletter. Didn't say randomly drawn. Makes ya wonder. Been a great outage to be so short staffed.

Most of the large outage prizes at VY are won by contractors - including a big ass 4-wheeler a few outages ago (hope you still enjoying it J)

Corporate bean counters are cracking down - worry about taxes, etc - so the trinkets are going away. Oh well, folks still come, we still have an outage, and we are coming up on a full year online since the last one, so everyone does their job when they are here.

Peace... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Cainnibl

« Reply #31 on: Oct 19, 2009, 12:35 »
I wanted the 42" (or was it 52"?) flat screen they had last outage... altho.. I seem to remember PAYING to enter that one.... it was not a "positive reinforcement" trinket.

I seem to remember they screwed up and had too many people selling tickets. And not all the entries had been turned in at the time of the drawing... once they found this out they did a 2nd drawing from the batch that was left out of the first drawing and bought ANOTHER TV to keep things fair.

I think an operator won 1 of them.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #32 on: Oct 19, 2009, 06:43 »
I wanted the 42" (or was it 52"?) flat screen they had last outage... altho.. I seem to remember PAYING to enter that one.... it was not a "positive reinforcement" trinket.

I seem to remember they screwed up and had too many people selling tickets. And not all the entries had been turned in at the time of the drawing... once they found this out they did a 2nd drawing from the batch that was left out of the first drawing and bought ANOTHER TV to keep things fair.

I think an operator won 1 of them.

Yup, one of our brand spankin new instants - personable guy, still in the pipeline last I saw. Hopefully the TV is keeping the family distracted while he studies.... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?