Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Realistic quals to be a NLO honeypot

Author Topic: Realistic quals to be a NLO  (Read 25478 times)

M1Ark

Re: Realistic quals to be a NLO
« Reply #25 on: Oct 23, 2009, 11:33 »
Ranger,

You are right regarding my generalization.  Having been a SPU and training countless JOs along with serving with them out in the fleet as my Div O and realize I still had to train them and then going commercial and come to the realization I still had to continue to train them in the simulator has clouded my judgement.  The training then continues on shift when they are assigned as an STA because management does not trust their judgement and feel they need to 'cook a little'.  It's quite possible you were the exception to my JO rule.  I have not trained with you or had witnessed your capabilities as an SRO but can only assume you do quite well.  I was trained by Broadzilla in how to be a good operator and hold myself and those around me to a high standard which has resulted in me being hyper critical of sub-standard performance.  An O-ganger can get an SRO-instant license.  They are just not very good at it.  It's not their fault... they just need experience and proper mentoring. Please refer to Broadzilla's Dumbass training video.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,21387.0.html
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2009, 11:38 by M1Ark »

ThrifTe

« Reply #26 on: Oct 24, 2009, 05:45 »
Being an NLO/AO simply requires that you have the capacity to acquire and retain large sums of often useless knowledge in order to perform tasks that actually require 1/40th of that knowledge.  Given that, if you have a B.S./B.A. in anything and possess some degree of mechanical apititude, spatial reasoning, and common sense, you should be fine.  Its getting the interview that is the trouble.  And the other 39/40th of the information is supposedly stored for when you become an RO (which you forget by the time you get to class).

I can tell you at my plant, they appear to hire about 10-15% of the new hires w/ B.S. degrees of varying sorts as of recently.  The rest are ex-Navy guys -- Nuke, Gas Turbine, A-gangers, whatever the case may be.  Nukes come in about $4 under full AO pay, M.S. / other navy fields about -$6, and B.S. about -$8.    The thing with the college guys is making sure they highlight any science, math, or mechanical-related college courses when they apply.  If you take apart Diesel Engines for fun, put that on there to. 

It helps to know someone at the plants as well, especially if you are non navy.  I know for our AO positions we had about 600+ people apply for something like 12 positions.   I'd never have gotten hired if I hadn't known someone.

Cheers

Turbine08

« Reply #27 on: Oct 28, 2009, 12:51 »
I wish that there was a clearer way to prepare fora AO/NLO type job.  The POSS seems relatively easy to understand what they want to see.  I just have a difficult time believing that somewhere during the hiring process that they won't start asking nuclear questions, of which I have no background.  I'm confident my previous experience in aviation will answer any questions about my ability in making correct decisions in a safety-related job, but how that stands up against the next guy who has a much more scientific degree with chem, phy and the like who can talk his way through a reactor?  I searched here and at amazon but couldn't find any basic nuclear science books, probably because there is no basic about it.  If anyone knows of any good really low-level intro books, I'd like to hear about it. 

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #28 on: Oct 28, 2009, 03:03 »
I have yet to be asked anything nuclear in any of my nuclear job interviews. In fact, I never even had a semi-technical question. It was all behavioral based interviewing. That being said, here is the basic info you are looking for...dig in!

http://www.tpub.com/content/doe/

This might help, but I doubt it because you should probably already be somewhat versed in nuclear power.

http://www.pipeline.com/~rstater/nuke1.html

Justin
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2009, 12:17 by JustinHEMI »

deelpickle

« Reply #29 on: Oct 28, 2009, 05:30 »
Hey Justin,

Thanks for the info on the Tpub site. I was looking for something similar and this was right up my alley.

Stacey

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #30 on: Oct 28, 2009, 12:18 »
You're welcome!

Justin

Turbine08

« Reply #31 on: Oct 28, 2009, 10:18 »
Very nice JustinHEMI, thats what I was looking for. 

Turbine08

« Reply #32 on: Nov 01, 2009, 07:05 »
HOW ABOUT A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A NLO?

Can one of the current or ex-NLO's give a description of what a day typically entails?

Fermi2

« Reply #33 on: Nov 01, 2009, 07:42 »
HOW ABOUT A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A NLO?

Can one of the current or ex-NLO's give a description of what a day typically entails?

How about starting a different thread so this one doesn't get off topic? OR use the search function as it's been discussed many times over.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #34 on: Nov 01, 2009, 08:31 »
Ok I'll use the search function.  Tell me what to enter as all my searches are not showing all the many times its been discussed, thats why I posted the question.

" typical day NLO " yielded the following result:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=8170.0

it wasn't that hard.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #35 on: Nov 01, 2009, 08:42 »
Thanks, its the magic 3 words I didn't try.  Thats why your so much smarter than I.

And as far as Mike goes, well, at first he seems a little rough reading some of his responses but for the most part, he appears to be a humorous, no BS, straight to the point kinda guy.

2 weeks ago you appreciated candor. Now, not so much. Maybe less attitude and more gratitude would help your search experience    
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2009, 10:27 by HydroDave63 »

sanityassassin

« Reply #36 on: Nov 14, 2009, 10:57 »
I wish that there was a clearer way to prepare fora AO/NLO type job.  The POSS seems relatively easy to understand what they want to see.  I just have a difficult time believing that somewhere during the hiring process that they won't start asking nuclear questions, of which I have no background.  I'm confident my previous experience in aviation will answer any questions about my ability in making correct decisions in a safety-related job, but how that stands up against the next guy who has a much more scientific degree with chem, phy and the like who can talk his way through a reactor?  I searched here and at amazon but couldn't find any basic nuclear science books, probably because there is no basic about it.  If anyone knows of any good really low-level intro books, I'd like to hear about it. 

I just took my first POSS test (I did find the posts on this site about the POSS test very helpful) and interviewed for a NLO position a few days ago. I am coming from the aviation maintenance field as well. The interview was standard (albeit thorough) and not much different than other interviews I have had for other types of positions. I did my best to try and convey the similarities between aviation maintenance and what I know of "NLO work" (safety, teamwork, integrity, etc) and I think it went really well. I met two other NLOs on site during my plant tour which had come from an aviation background as well so I don't think it is all too uncommon. I'm hoping to hear back from the HR department in two to three weeks for an offer--I'll be keeping my fingers crossed! In the meantime, good luck to you!

Turbine08

« Reply #37 on: Nov 14, 2009, 11:31 »
Thanks for the professional constructive feedback!  I hope you hear back soon with good news.  There are numerous similarities in technical safety-related jobs.  What did you know in advance as far as pay/training and the like?  Seems like its a secret society that they want to keep all that info, for most places anyway, until the interview.  From what I've found from those that list pay is that its a pay cut for me.  Some have pay raises built in and some its easy to move up, but again, not much advance info.  Can you share in general what you found out.  Let me know as soon as you hear back, I'll buy you a internet drink.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #38 on: Nov 15, 2009, 01:17 »
Hey sanityassassin where did you interview if you dont mind me askin?

sanityassassin

« Reply #39 on: Nov 17, 2009, 08:52 »
I interviewed with Progress Energy at the H.B. Robinson Plant in Hartsville, SC and accepted a job offer today! Woo-hoo!  ;D I've been reading alot about the job and the industry (on this website) for the last few months and it all has been very helpful. Everyone I met in Hartsville seemed really nice and I am really looking forward to working with everyone down there. Now to fill out all of this PHQ stuff.

« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2010, 11:34 by sanityassassin »

AmazinAZ

« Reply #40 on: Nov 19, 2009, 11:13 »
I have on many occasions voiced my desire to become an AO and only an AO out here at Palo Verde, however each time getting chastised because "No one wants to stay as an AO" which I say is BS - I never want to see the inside of the control room. I want to know my plant - every sound every smell every drip - don't cage me up with lights and sounds and undue stress waiting for something to happen. A few hours in the simulator and I was completely disenchanted with operations. LOL
Since I want more hands on and out here they want to fast track AO to license classes I will take a more leisurly route and pursue maintenance. Good luck with everything but know being and AO just means you will eventually be in a LOTC.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?