Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Is it worth it? Nuclear repair? honeypot

Author Topic: Is it worth it? Nuclear repair?  (Read 3233 times)

William.Kolp

Is it worth it? Nuclear repair?
« on: Oct 20, 2009, 02:41 »
I am about to retire from the US Navy as an HT1. I have no formal nuclear training from the Navy. I was in a nuclear repair division for 3 years. Where I was a qualified TLD wearer and attended cutting tool operator school for the repair and replacment of nuclear valves which we did often. We also established freeze seals for valve isolation.  I was wondering if this experience from 1990-1994 would be valuable in getting employment with a maintenance contractor?

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Is it worth it? Nuclear repair?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2009, 06:31 »
I am about to retire from the US Navy as an HT1. I have no formal nuclear training from the Navy. I was in a nuclear repair division for 3 years. Where I was a qualified TLD wearer and attended cutting tool operator school for the repair and replacment of nuclear valves which we did often. We also established freeze seals for valve isolation.  I was wondering if this experience from 1990-1994 would be valuable in getting employment with a maintenance contractor?

There are several valve maintenance outfits that should be able to use you. You could also check into the pipefitter union hall, and see if your time will offset some apprentice time - lots of the contractor companies hire out of the union hall.
Outside of Operations, the nuclear field is still skilled craft labor - you should be able to hire on in Maintenance in fossil or nuclear.

Good luck, and thanks for your service.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Adam Grundleger

• Moderate User
Re: Is it worth it? Nuclear repair?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2009, 06:35 »
Your skills should transition well, just keep in mind that construction and maintenance will be to a different standard.  I've run into a few HTs with nuke and non-nuke contractors, and they all seem to be doing well.  PM me if I can do some scouting for you.  Thanks for serving.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?