Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Questions about getting in

Author Topic: Questions about getting in  (Read 3327 times)

jsebesta

Questions about getting in
« on: Feb 28, 2010, 10:27 »
Hi everyone. I'm looking to try and get into the commercial field. I was a EM1 (subs) in the navy from 97-03 before being medically retired. My reason for posting is for 2 reasons:

1. I was medically discharged for depression with panic disorder in '03. Never had a work related problems just problems at home. I did real well in the Navy. Got a 3.57 GPA out of power school and was a staff pick up at Charleston. Since I got medically discharged I was scared of being rejected for hire by not being able to be FFD. The reason I was discharged, was I was on Ativan (a narcotic) for anxiety at the time and was not fit for sea duty. Since then, I've made huge strides to cope with these problems and only take anti-depressants and no narcotics. My fear is not being hirable due to the circumstances that led to my medical retirement. So if anyone can shed some light at to whether or not I would be hirable and gain FFD status, obviously pending pysch. screening, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. I am currently an electro-mechanical technician for Nestle Waters North America, making bottle water. It is an easy job and I miss the nuclear field and the challenges it brings. I want a more challenging career and it came easy for me in my schooling. My obvious background is electronics but would like to someday get a SRO license. So I think the best preferred path would be NLO – RO – SRO. So I guess my question is really, what would be the best path to get that point? I’m not into rushing the process if I can gain FFD status, I would prefer to advance in roles as I gain more experience and system interrelations down cold before making the jump. This obvious depends on how my supervisor and peers assess my ability to perform the current role.

I currently live in Allentown, PA. So my obvious 1st choice would be Limerick. One, cause of its location and two, because I don’t’ have any BWR experience and I think it would be challenging to learn. I’ve always wanted to work with nuclear power since I was a kid, the Navy was my best chance at getting my feet wet to see if I could hack it, and I did good, not great but good. It really is a dream job for me, even though most would think I’m nuts but I really enjoy the constant learning and training, the high level of mental demand and work performance. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I value and respect each person opinions and look forward to hearing from this community.

Thanks for your time,
Jason Sebesta

JustinHEMI05

Re: Questions about getting in
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2010, 09:00 »
I don't see any issues with FFD, but I could be wrong. Just speak about everything honestly, like you are here. You might have issues getting into ops, and by issues I mean you will have to talk to a shrink after taking an MMPI exam (psych test). But, I don't think it would stop you from getting into ops. However, someone with more experience in these things will have to confirm/deny.

I really wanted to address number 2. That is a good path and you would certainly be a good fit for NLO, and working your way up. While you are waiting for responses, I will see if I can find out any info of about any upcoming openings at Limerick. Also, JasonK is an NLO at Limerick, so you can PM him for even better info.

Good luck!

Justin

jsebesta

Re: Questions about getting in
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2010, 06:29 »
Thanks Justin for the feedback. I greatly appreciate it. I def. know that a would have to get a MMPI and completely confident that a would do o.k. but then again I really don't know the guidelines. At this point I'm just trying to prepare so that when an opening does become available, I'm ready. Thanks again for the info.

Jason

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?