Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Advice Needed honeypot

Author Topic: Advice Needed  (Read 4362 times)

Offline daveyj308846

• Light User
Advice Needed
« on: Oct 20, 2009, 07:22 »
I was hoping that anyone out there could give me some advice on how to get a foot in the door at my local power plant. I've read through most of the posts on the getting in section and none seem to apply to me as most people have some experience. I'm 25 years old and have no exp. in the energy sector. My previous jobs are as a carpenter and selling industrial and construction supplies. I've already passed both the MASS and TECH tests but thats as far as I've gotten(no interviews). I'm willing to take any job that I can just to get my foot in and try to work my way up, but a friend of mine that already works there said that they will not hire me for some jobs(security or plant service worker) because I've already passed the two tests and they don't want someone that will transfer in six months. I apply to all the jobs that I think I could do(based on my friends advice) which are mostly plant tech jobs and anything that is entry/trainee level. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks...

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
Re: Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2009, 12:40 »
Bartlett Deconner

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2009, 06:54 »
I was hoping that anyone out there could give me some advice on how to get a foot in the door at my local power plant. I've read through most of the posts on the getting in section and none seem to apply to me as most people have some experience. I'm 25 years old and have no exp. in the energy sector. My previous jobs are as a carpenter and selling industrial and construction supplies. I've already passed both the MASS and TECH tests but thats as far as I've gotten(no interviews). I'm willing to take any job that I can just to get my foot in and try to work my way up, but a friend of mine that already works there said that they will not hire me for some jobs(security or plant service worker) because I've already passed the two tests and they don't want someone that will transfer in six months. I apply to all the jobs that I think I could do(based on my friends advice) which are mostly plant tech jobs and anything that is entry/trainee level. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks...

Some plants use carpenters as scaffold builders.  You might research any plants you are interested in and see whether you can get on as a scaffologist or helper...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2009, 12:14 »

Another thing you should know, if you have zero experience in nuclear power.  All US commercial power reactors have to be shutdown periodically (about every 2 years) to refuel.  During this shutdown, staffing is increased by a huge factor...mostly with temporary contractors.  Find out when your local power plant is having its next shutdown - you may be able to get your foot in the door as a contractor...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

donhulen

Scaffold Ratchet
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2010, 12:04 »
Need advise!
I am a retired Navy Senior Chief looking for advise on how to sell tools to companies doing maintenance in power plants. I was in the nuke maintenance field in the Navy and now I am trying to make a living selling tools. Retirement pay is not enough to live on, though the health bennies are the best.

I sell Scaffold Pro and Scaffold Master lines of scaffold ratchets.
I believe that nuke plants use tube and clamp/coupler type scaffolding. Is that correct? Is that the only type used?

I sell a couple thousand of these ratchets a year and have had only a 4 returned.

Any advise would be appreciated.

TKS,
DonHulen
HTCS RET

JustinHEMI05

Re: Scaffold Ratchet
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2010, 09:06 »
Need advise!
I am a retired Navy Senior Chief looking for advise on how to sell tools to companies doing maintenance in power plants. I was in the nuke maintenance field in the Navy and now I am trying to make a living selling tools. Retirement pay is not enough to live on, though the health bennies are the best.

I sell Scaffold Pro and Scaffold Master lines of scaffold ratchets.
I believe that nuke plants use tube and clamp/coupler type scaffolding. Is that correct? Is that the only type used?

I sell a couple thousand of these ratchets a year and have had only a 4 returned.

Any advise would be appreciated.

TKS,
DonHulen
HTCS RET

I don't know much about that stuff, but I do get the nuclear plant journal and there is all kinds of ads from companies similar to yours. Perhaps you can look into placing an ad there.

http://www.nuclearplantjournal.com/

Here is a direct link to the advertising info.

http://www.nuclearplantjournal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=137&Itemid=168

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?