Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What is the longest length of time between outages at a plant for a worker? honeypot

Author Topic: What is the longest length of time between outages at a plant for a worker?  (Read 11737 times)

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
VC Summer, worked there in 1982 and returned in 2008. 26 years.

Turkey Point, worked there in 1983 and returned in 2009. 26 years.
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2009, 01:23 by Mike McFarlin »
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Chimera

Well dang, Mike!  Nothing like shutting down the contest with the first entry.  The best I can do is a tie - Quad Cities - 1983 and 2009.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Hmmm I worked at DC Cook in 1989, but it was non outage, and then again in 2009 for an outage. 20 years.

nukewood

Brunswick 25 years,Turkey Point 26 years,Peach Bottom 26 years. If I am still answering this question in 5 years please put me out of my misery.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Worked Peach Bottom in 1974 and returned in 2004 -- 30 years.
Worked Turkey Point in 1976 and returned in 2004 -- 28 years.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Now a different answer cause It's how I read the question  ;)

Toronto Powers Pickering B holds the world record for the longest non-stop operation of a nuclear reactor – 894 days.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
Now a different answer cause It's how I read the question  ;)

Toronto Powers Pickering B holds the world record for the longest non-stop operation of a nuclear reactor – 894 days.

That is how I originally interpreted the question until I read the originator's post. I was pretty sure that a Candu reactor would hold the record due to the unique method of refueling.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
Surry, worked there in 1980 and returned in 2010. 30 years.
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2010, 08:42 by Mike McFarlin »
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline flgator

• Very Lite User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Worked Oyster Creek last time in 1977 and just finished their outage 2010
33 years apart, same drywell control point but had a much better time this outage.

Rad_Owl_2

Hmmmmm... Peach Bottom - left October 1979 (after three years of continuous service) then returned September 2009 for an outage.  About 30 years I guess....and no discernable difference.
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2011, 04:44 by Rad_Owl_2 »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
You people are OLD,...

I was in high school in 1974 and 1976,....

And when I started my sophomore year of college I was still 17,...

You guys were sponging 1800mr/yr before my spermatocytes went on active duty :P ;) :) 8)

1800?

In 1978 I got over 6,000! (IP2 to Pilgrim to IP2 and back to Pilgrim.)

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
You people are OLD,...
You guys were sponging 1800mr/yr before my spermatocytes went on active duty :P ;) :) 8)

1.8 Rem/yr.  Come on we are talking a different age - my worst was about 7.2 (but, you probably don't remember 5N-18) when you were still in HS!  But, it wasn't sponging, it was a totally different mind set and different application of ALARA!

Today I see, total dose suffers in deference to keeping individual dose less than the coming regulation.
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's

As S/G control point put a worker into the S/G 31st March for 2.8 Rem.  Next day he was back (April 1st - new quarter) and we sent him in for another 2.8 Rem.  
To keep it semi on topic - Millstone 1980 then back in 2000 for the Decommissioning Unit 1
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2011, 06:41 by walstib »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
As S/G control point put a worker into the S/G 31st March for 2.8 Rem.  Next day he was back (April 1st - new quarter) and we sent him in for another 2.8 Rem.  
To keep it semi on topic - Millstone 1980 then back in 2000 for the Decommissioning Unit 1

We did that once at a plant I will not name but it was October 31st - November 1st and since it was night shift he didn't even need to go home between jumps. He (actually two guys) got about 5.5 Rem in one shift. I am glad we don't get to do that anymore.

[OT]

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?