Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ISOCS  

Author Topic: ISOCS  (Read 37245 times)

ISOCS

Re: ISOCS
« Reply #25 on: Jun 05, 2008, 08:47 »
Mike is correct. It's used in a lot of applications. It's extremely accurate if you know how to use the genie 2k software correctly.
ISOCS

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #26 on: Jun 06, 2008, 05:10 »
Mike is Right!

You have to remember that not everyone that reads these forums are comfortable posting messages.

There is also the situation where some consider it propriatory information. 

RG

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #27 on: Jun 10, 2008, 04:41 »
Mike is correct. It's used in a lot of applications. It's extremely accurate if you know how to use the genie 2k software correctly.
ISOCS
What are the chances that this technology is being built into the new generation nuclear power plants for operational Health Physics usage?  Foor that matter, I see very few reasons why a current plant wouldn't be able to install this technology during a retrofit operation.  A good computer engineering department could maintain constant reads on vast areas of the plant and would be highly aware of any change in radiological conditions in any and all areas in which this system was installed.   

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #28 on: Jun 23, 2008, 04:41 »
The response to my last post is positively deafening.  Is this due to my touching on a sensitive nerve?  Am I completely off base?  Is there another technology that is being built into the new plants that will take out many of the Health Physics Technical positions? Inquiring minds want to know, I am merely the one asking.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #29 on: Jun 23, 2008, 01:04 »
The response to my last post is positively deafening.  Is this due to my touching on a sensitive nerve?  Am I completely off base?  Is there another technology that is being built into the new plants that will take out many of the Health Physics Technical positions? Inquiring minds want to know, I am merely the one asking.
Remote monitoring will never replace a competent RP Tech - installed monitoring will give you information where the detectors are - they won't be everywhere. A single point dose rate in a pump room is not sufficient to evaluate the conditions in that room for a work crew...although it could be used to indicate a change in conditions.
I don't think anyone here worries about technology replacing us - the technology is expensive, and I&C techs (that repair it) cost more than Rad Techs.... 8)   
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #30 on: Jun 24, 2008, 04:41 »
Remote monitoring will never replace a competent RP Tech - installed monitoring will give you information where the detectors are - they won't be everywhere. A single point dose rate in a pump room is not sufficient to evaluate the conditions in that room for a work crew...although it could be used to indicate a change in conditions.
I don't think anyone here worries about technology replacing us - the technology is expensive, and I&C techs (that repair it) cost more than Rad Techs.... 8)   

Instrumental technology is replacing competent HP techs in the D&D region of the business.  It has replaced manual inspection in other aspects of the nuclear realm of business.  I believe it is a matter of time and technological developement before it replaces a significant segment in the nuclear power production business.  My question is if it is being incorporated into the new plants being licensed for construction.  I find your use of the phrase "competent RP tech" interesting, especially with so many threads and posts therein on this site dealing intensively with that very phrase.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #31 on: Jun 24, 2008, 03:55 »
What are the chances that this technology is being built into the new generation nuclear power plants for operational Health Physics usage?  Foor that matter, I see very few reasons why a current plant wouldn't be able to install this technology during a retrofit operation.  A good computer engineering department could maintain constant reads on vast areas of the plant and would be highly aware of any change in radiological conditions in any and all areas in which this system was installed.   

ISOCS has very limited capabilities for the usage you are suggesting.  It has too wide-angle view, and the gamma-spec capabilities would probably be unnecessary for most in-plant uses. 

Several companies, including Canberra, make versions of the Gamma-Cam that have much better pinpoint capabilities and can be used to 'map' the dose rates in rooms.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

ISOCS

« Reply #32 on: Jun 25, 2008, 07:26 »
Correct immundo! ISOCS is for D&D waste disposal, GIC, and super low (pCi/gm) of misc. materials.
ISOCS

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #33 on: Jul 21, 2008, 04:37 »
I'm sorry that I tried thinking ISOCS into a plant.  I don't see much hi tech out here in the ditches.  What technology would you anticipate seeing in the new generation plants getting ready to be built?  There has to be new built in instrumental technology that could probably do most of the routine work of HP techs, don't you think?

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #34 on: Jul 21, 2008, 06:59 »
No need to be sorry, you could very well be PUSHING THE ENVELOPE OF TECHNOLOGY!

I don't see much hi tech out here in the ditches.

Sound like a geography issue, you got to get out more!

What technology would you anticipate seeing in the new generation plants getting ready to be built?

Similar to the systems deployed 30 - 40 years ago; (ARM's, CAM's, Process Monitors)!

There has to be new built in instrumental technology that could probably do most of the routine work of HP techs, don't you think?

I think that is one of the most definitive statements of vagueness that I've ever heard!

Have a Great Day....RG!

ISOCS

« Reply #35 on: Jul 21, 2008, 07:28 »
The item needed is probably a LaBr crystal in the Canberra inspector 1000 (no cooling and has memory storage). The states use this (or have it on the shelf) along with homeland security. It has fairly good resolution and quantitive analysis can be done once it's taken back to a computer and a correct eff cal is performed and installed to analyze. Of course an analysis sequence file .asf will need to be created for results.
ISOCS 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?