Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Outages on the Cheap honeypot

Author Topic: Outages on the Cheap  (Read 8138 times)

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
Outages on the Cheap
« on: Oct 24, 2009, 12:24 »
Alright, lets hear your stories of working an Outrage on the “Cheap”. Some of the newbie’s to migrant nuclear work might be inspired:

I pulled a tag-a-long RV for years and witnessed several innovations, I once saw a couple guys pull into the RV park with a Pop-up camper- they set up a picnic table and awning. They did all their cooking and living on the outside and just slept in the Pop-up. I would always beat them to the park at end of shift---they had to stop for ice and a case of beer each and every day, I was impressed.

I’ve also seen several versions of Tent camping for the outage.

I remember the guy living in a panel truck in the utilities parking lot, when the sun hit the side just right, you could make out the “Guys Potato Chips” emblem that had been painted over.

Then there was this tech at a northern plant where they had parking lot plug-ins for engine block heaters. He had a camper on his pickup and had run an extension cord up through the frame and out the front like it was a block heater cord and powered a heater and microwave with it.

And your story is?
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
Re: Outages on the Cheap
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2009, 12:37 »
19 yrs ago, being at the same outage as Getz!
nuff said! ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2009, 12:38 by RRhoads »

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2009, 01:44 »
I should be ashamed of this one. My second outage I rented a motel room for a week in Manitowoc, Wisconsin and talked to the crafts at work about a place to stay. A crusty old fart told me about a sports bar that rented out rooms above the bar. I checked it out and ended up paying $10/week for the sleeping room with the bathroom down the hall---shared with the other renters. When I went down each week to pay my rent, the first beer was free. I was working 7-12’s back then and really cleaned up for that outage. I usually ate at the "Bud Williams" greasy spoon downtown for less then $3 a meal.
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Cainnibl

« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2009, 01:47 »
I have a few… prob not as cool and interesting as other could offer… and some stories are more convenient/efficient than “cheap”.

When I was working decon I traveled with 3 other friends that were also decon. We would usually find a place to share. Things got cramped sometimes and we often joked that not all of use would make it home from outage alive but we were good friends so we always forgave and forgot. Point is, rent was always cheap. Usually between $200 - 400 a month each.

Another fun one. The “Wal-Mart Rental program”…  So your staying at a “cheap” hotel/cabin/room for rent and it has a 13” BW TV… no problem… go to wal-mart and pick out something you like. Keep the receipt and return it at the end of the outage. Once “rented” a mini fridge from Home-Depot too.

My car has no passengers seat. I find I can even out the weight load front to back. The car handles better, I get less wear and tear on the rear suspension and don’t have stuff stacked up to the rear window blocking my view. Also my 12v DC Colman cooler keeps my Monster/RedBull/Gatorade/water cold for my 1000+ mi. trips AND is easily in reach while driving. Also the cooler has a 110 AC adapter and can stand up like a mini fridge.

I used to travel with a PS2 game system because I could play games or watch DVD’s. Served 2 uses and was compact. Now I don’t play the games  and spend more time online.. But my laptop had an S-video out connector… now with a couple patch cables I can use my laptop as a DVD player connected to a hotel VT. I also condensed a box of DVD’s (in cases) to a binder of 300 movies .

I’m sure I’m forgetting something…

Chimera

« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2009, 04:43 »
I should be ashamed of this one. My second outage I rented a motel room for a week in Manitowoc, Wisconsin and talked to the crafts at work about a place to stay. A crusty old fart told me about a sports bar that rented out rooms above the bar. I checked it out and ended up paying $10/week for the sleeping room with the bathroom down the hall---shared with the other renters. When I went down each week to pay my rent, the first beer was free. I was working 7-12’s back then and really cleaned up for that outage. I usually ate at the "Bud Williams" greasy spoon downtown for less then $3 a meal.

Hey . . . I stayed there in 1981.  I think it was called "Ummys".  The guy that operated the barbershop downstairs also fixed up my baseball gloves while I was there.  And the space between the inside and outside windows in the room was just big enough to store milk and orange juice to keep it cold.

Jr8black3

« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2009, 01:59 »
Gerry, thats just wrong, from so many ways thats wrong..

I had to work one outage very cheap, on Peanut Butter and Jelly, till a guy named Wayne Rouse, offered me some home made beef stew.. I ate like a pig, that was 1987 Hb Robinson..

For all you southern folks whatever happened to cornbread? I loved that guy,, and Fat back,, Ricky Grantham,,Cornbread aka Richy Cormell taught this yankee how to make the best chicken wings ever..I've never had a person complain.. I always use the recipe Richy gave me as does the ex.. they are awesome

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2009, 09:08 »
aye member won time at perry when i hadda drink draught beer four a hole month..... still gives me shudders. :-[
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2009, 12:55 »
Anyone ever stay at Cedar Knoll? Man, that was the life. Bud and Sue were the best, they were like parents to Henry, me and several more. You don't find places or people like them much anymore.

As far as being cheap, I've heard some tells... people eating pot pies for days on end, sleeping in their cars, and so forth.

To be honest, we did stay in our tent once until Henry got into the plant and then we went and rented a place.

I've bought more furniture from the Salvation Army/Goodwill than any 50 people I know, I once outfitted a 2 bedroom house on less than 200.00 and that included the bed!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?