Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Questions about jobs on the outside for nuke electricians

Author Topic: Questions about jobs on the outside for nuke electricians  (Read 18985 times)

Offline flatlander86

• Very Lite User
Hello,
I'm pretty new to nukeworker, but I've been browsing the forums quite a bit, and have been able to find a lot of useful information on here. However, there's one question that I've had for a long time for which I've never been able to get a good answer, even on here.

I just recently finished the pipeline and got to my first ship, and all through the pipeline, and on here, I hear so much about Navy nukes being able to just run through their 6 years, and have awesome job opportunities waiting for them on the outside, a lot of times even 6 figures. But I've noticed that it's always the ET's and MM's/ELT's who are getting these opportunities. I've also noticed that EM retention is significantly higher than all other rates, and subsequently, our SRB's are significantly lower. It wasn't clear to me just how many EM's are staying in until recently. I put in for SPU, but was declined by NR (despite being top of my class in NFAS, NPS, and NPTU, and bearing recommendations from my plant) simply because there "wasn't a need for EM SPU's". When I got to the ship, all I heard was, "Another electrician? Are you kidding me? We don't need electricians!" So I'm really starting to see the overcrowding of nuke EM's. Heck, in prototype, my E-Div was as big, if not bigger than M-Div!

Anyway, my question is, does anyone know why EM retention is so high? I've heard a lot of explanations, but mostly from other students who really don't know what they're talking about. Some people say it's because there's nothing for us on the outside. Some people say it's because our job on the ship is awesome. I've heard stories about E-div beating the flag (muster at 0730 and go home before the flag goes up at 0800). Is it true that those awesome outside jobs aren't available to electricians? And if so, is there anything that can be done to open those doors? Does qualifying EWS/PPWS and making Chief basically level the playing field?

I really like the Navy so far, especially since I was blessed with the opportunity to make it into the NNPP, and I don't intend on getting out until after I've qualified PPWS and made Chief. And making a career out of it and retiring is still a definite possibility. I just hope that by choosing my rate, I haven't screwed myself out of the opportunities that my ET/MM/ELT counterparts are getting whenever the time comes to move on.

ashr0286

Re: Questions about jobs on the outside for nuke electricians
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2009, 10:46 »
I just got out of the Navy after 6 years as a surface navy nuke electrician.  Our SRB is low because so many electrician's re-enlist so they don't need to offer a high amount like what the ET's and MM's are getting.  That's also the reason it's harder for electrician's to make second class of the advancement exam compared to ET's who make it their first time up.

As far as jobs go after the Navy for ex-nuke electricians, they are just as open as if you were an ET or MM.  Just make up a good resume and do some job searching.  It will look better if you qualify PPWS before you get out if you are looking at nuclear power.  I've tested and interviewed at more than one plant in commercial nuclear power right beside former ET's/MM's/civilians.  I've never qualified PPWS but I did finish my Bachelor's degree in Nuclear Engineering Technology.  I would recommend if you are making the decision to stay in, to get your Bachelor's Degree with tuition assistance and qualify PPWS.  You can get non-nuclear jobs too after the Navy.  So, yes there are plenty of jobs available for ex-nuke electrician's.  Just remember that if you stay in for a career and then get out, then you will probably start at the bottom as an AO/EO if you work at a commercial plant in operations.  There are SRO classes but they are hard to get into and I've heard they are extremely difficult if you didn't start off as an AO/EO.  By the way, the pay is much better on the civilian side as you work your way up and there are no duty days or underway days.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2009, 02:26 »
One thing to remember is, NO ONE is waiting outside the gates looking to hand you a 6 figure job. 6 and out nukes are a dime a dozen, so you need to bust your ass in your 6 years and make yourself stand out among your peers. That said, as long as you keep your nose clean and put in some effort, you shouldn't have too hard a time finding a job. But actually looking for a job and properly creating a resume and applying for that job is hard work. My point is, contrary to what nukes believe, it isn't effortless.

Offline x633ro

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2009, 06:35 »
Pretty much doesn't matter your rate, just work ethic and desire to excel. In my experience EWS doesn't make a difference nor does instructor etc. Do your best and learn as much as you can.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2009, 10:42 »
Actually EWS does make a difference when you are talking about being qualified for instant SRO or not.

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2009, 09:36 »
Actually EWS does make a difference when you are talking about being qualified for instant SRO or not

And even that depends upon the plant.  Some plants will allow you to come on site as an instant SRO and stand CRS as your primary watch station.  We don't.  We want CRSs who know the plant, and either are upgrades from SROs, or have done a couple cycles as STAs.  And, to be an STA, here at least, you must have a 4 year engineering or acceptable technical degree, and gain your SRO through class.  (This doesn't mean you wont stand CRS... You will.  It just means you won't be assigned as CRS.)  So, the degree will gain you an instant license class path here... The EWS/RO/PPWS/EOOW will not.  

Another way some plants do it.. I recently did an assist at VCS, and their STAs mostly don't have licenses.  They have degrees, go through a quick (8 month or so) course, and then stand only STA.  After a cycle or two, they go back to real license class, gain their license, and stand CRS.  

In short, different plants have their own cultures and preferred ways of handling their SRO selection.
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2009, 09:38 by Creeker »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2009, 12:24 »
Yup well said. Speaking from experience, the out of the Navy into instant SRO isn't the preferred path LOL. Yet, nearly every navy guy that PMs me here only wants to hear about instant SRO (including 6 and outers). I am not sure why, because that is exactly all I heard about when I was getting out. No one ever talked about anything else. So I try to inform them, but its almost as if they don't want to hear it.

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2009, 12:42 »
I finished my TESC degree, had 3 years of experience on site as I&C, worked my tail off, and was pulled from license class 3 weeks before the end.  They knew how hard I worked, but they (OPS management) have to have a really high degree of confidence that you'll do well on all aspects of the NRC exam.  I've never failed at anything like that in my life.  They knew how hard I tried, and offered me another go round in the next class.  So, I picked up a cert, and will do teach in OPS training until starting the entire class all over again next April.

License class is something you have to experience...  Discretion forbids me putting down our instant SRO success rate, but industry wide, it's nothing to celebrate, and if I had it to do all over again, just coming out of the Navy 5+ years ago, I'd become an NLO first, and work up from there.

But, to relate this to the original post.... We have several instants we're bringing in from off site for this next class.  Their rate had nothing to do with their selection.  Their degree (Engineering, or TESC) got them here.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2009, 02:32 »
Same here... if I had it to do all over again..... hind sight is 20/20. :)

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2009, 03:11 »
3 weeks... It was the written portion that nailed me.  Went 14/14 on JPMs, and had Kudos on the simulator.  (Command and control  ;D ;D )  Then came the written audit exam, and smote me to the ground.  

Best of luck in your final preparations!

Bill
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2009, 03:13 by Creeker »

Paul

« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2009, 09:36 »
If you want to stay in the maintenance field, there is more money in I&C. Three-quarters of our shop are navy nuke electricians, and the pay is not too bad.

cleonard19

« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2009, 07:54 »
I have a buddy who just went to the 'Prise, and his brother just got out of the navy two years ago. He now works at a steel company in maintenance making six figures with no overtime. Plus profit sharing. Jobs are there, you just have to work/look hard for them.

Paul

« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2009, 09:40 »
Six figures with no overtime?
A little hard to believe.

Samabby

« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2009, 11:17 »
One time at band camp...................... :o

jowlman

« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:01 »
I seem to remember that back when I was in many years ago. That the IBEW would offer apprenticeships to the electricians. That way when you reach your EAOS you are already a journeyman electrician in the union. Very lucrative regardless of what field you choose to persue.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?