Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu "What are the most nonsensical knee jerk reactions?"

Author Topic: "What are the most nonsensical knee jerk reactions?"  (Read 28800 times)

stealthfighter

Re: "What are the most nonsensical knee jerk reactions?"
« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2009, 04:24 »

kp88

« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2009, 07:50 »
"The Army general of U.S. forces in Northern Iraq has banned pregnancy among military personnel in his command, NBC News reported on Friday.
Anyone who becomes pregnant or impregnates another servicemember, including married couples assigned to the same unit, could face a court-martial and jail time, according to an order issued by Maj. Gen. Anthony Cucolo."

This rule should work out well.  He should just follow the nuclear industry example and just post another sign on the doors.

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2009, 05:22 »
He should just follow the nuclear industry example and just post another sign on the doors.

Ah yes, the immediate corrective action to all events.  "Signs were posted at the RCA entrance yada yada yada".  "Signs were posted on the doors to the shutdown board rooms...."

Dave

duke99301

« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2010, 10:55 »
RP techs take dose rates smears and set up boundary's. Use of the spring re-track knife is the way things are going and is part of the safety plans at the sites I worked plus when using a cutting device you need to wear the proper gloves for the task as ny the sites procedure. heck I recall the old days when we all cut jumpers out and such but the times have changed and safety job is to look out for the worker. They can give you all the tools and pre job briefs but if you do not use them you put your self at risk. I was at a job a few years ago when an old hp buddy cut his hand with a razor knife had to take him to the ER, not fun and a lot of paper work .oh will when you are at site now safety comes 1st.

good luck be safe

number41

« Reply #29 on: Feb 28, 2010, 07:52 »
Yeah, this thread is old, but I just got around to reading it.  Last outage, there was a rash of hand injuries.  You know the kind: employee was not wearing gloves, employee was wearing the wrong type of glove, employee was wearing ONE glove but working with the ungloved hand, yadda, yadda, yadda.  So, it becomes MANDATORY to have gloves on your person while in the power block, regardless of whether you were working or simply traversing the area.  Anyway, by making it mandatory, the company had to supply the gloves.  Since this is a BWR, and everything going into the power block has to be SAM'd.....you guessed it, 95% of the gloves went into the rad trash when people left the power block.  The last figures I saw put our cost for GLOVES at over $200k for a 33 day outage.  I don't even want to guess how much it cost to dispose of them all.

Fermi2

« Reply #30 on: Feb 28, 2010, 05:03 »
Must be terrible radcon practices. I worked at a BWR for 15 years, had gloves everytime I was in the power block and outside of losing one pair, and normal wear and tear I never lost any gloves in a SAM.
At SQN we have to have gloves everywhere in the power block, our Aux Building is no different than the RCA in a BWR and we don't lose gloves to Mr Sam all that often. That 95% number is way too high.

Mike

Cathy

« Reply #31 on: Mar 01, 2010, 01:32 »
Yeah, this thread is old, but I just got around to reading it.  Last outage, there was a rash of hand injuries.  You know the kind: employee was not wearing gloves, employee was wearing the wrong type of glove, employee was wearing ONE glove but working with the ungloved hand, yadda, yadda, yadda.  So, it becomes MANDATORY to have gloves on your person while in the power block, regardless of whether you were working or simply traversing the area.  Anyway, by making it mandatory, the company had to supply the gloves.  Since this is a BWR, and everything going into the power block has to be SAM'd.....you guessed it, 95% of the gloves went into the rad trash when people left the power block.  The last figures I saw put our cost for GLOVES at over $200k for a 33 day outage.  I don't even want to guess how much it cost to dispose of them all.
Why rad trash? Did people just not want to sam them or did they alarm? Someone told me that there are some leather gloves out there that alarm the sams even brand new, anyone else heard of this?

number41

« Reply #32 on: Mar 01, 2010, 07:50 »
I'm sure it was a combination of events that made them trash.  Surely some of them were actually contaminated, either from bad work practices, or because gloves just get contaminated sometimes.  However, I actually got into an argument with a contract rad tech at the SAM because he straight-up refused to count my gloves.  I argued with him, pointing out some of his physical short-comings for refusing to count gloves, but when I saw it was no use to argue with the grouchy ol' fart, I stashed my gloves in the hot tool room for use later on.  However, I'm pretty certain that the average worker found it much easier to trash their gloves in the nearest trash can (which happens to be rad trash) and get a new set next time on the way back in.

Offline Rather Hunt Than Tech

• Light User
  • It's not Rocket Science we're only Splitting Atoms
« Reply #33 on: Mar 02, 2010, 04:34 »
beever valley, sum time inna early 90s..... thou shalt not sit on a bucket...

You still can't sit on a bucket.......  They don't even like it if you sit on a tool box.

The reason for this is that one time someone sat on a bucket.  The bucket looked empty.  The end result ( no pun intended ) was some real dose.
ATF: Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a Goverment Agency

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #34 on: Mar 03, 2010, 06:19 »
beever valley, sum time inna early 90s..... thou shalt not sit on a bucket...

You still can't sit on a bucket.......  They don't even like it if you sit on a tool box.

The reason for this is that one time someone sat on a bucket.  The bucket looked empty.  The end result ( no pun intended ) was some real dose.

We went through a similar scneario - currently the "bucket butt" resides in the Control Room as an RO - safetst place for him.... ::)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?