NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Japan honeypot

Author Topic: Japan  (Read 11917 times)

Offline domingo3

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Japan
« on: Oct 31, 2009, 07:43 »
Does anyone know how much opportunity there is in Japan?  I'm a health physicist and would like to bring my family out there.  I don't speak Japanese that well, so I would think I'd have a hard time getting a job at a nuke facility there.  I know there's a CVN now, but don't know how much shipyard support they have.  I thought I saw a job on usajobs once, but it was internal hire only.

Anybody know?

stownsend

Re: Japan
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2009, 10:17 »
場合は、母国語でのアイデアと会話を交換できるNo.Itに役立つことがあります。

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2009, 02:41 »
場合は、母国語でのアイデアと会話を交換できるNo.Itに役立つことがあります。

Well said !   ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2009, 04:32 »
場合は、なぜ外国人に仕事をしたいと思うの言語を話すことができますか?

Offline deicide666

• Light User
  • whats grosser than gross?
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2009, 05:14 »
場合は、なぜ外国人に仕事をしたいと思うの言語を話すことができますか?

If you are able to exchange ideas and talk in their native language may help No.It.
death to all who apose us!!!!

Offline navsteve

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2009, 05:43 »
Go to the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard website.  In the employment section, there is a link for Japan jobs.  This will tell you any open shipyard positions in Japan.

Offline domingo3

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2009, 02:18 »
Is there an actual link specifically for Japan jobs?  If so, can you post it?  I went to the site and followed https://chart.donhr.navy.mil  where I could do a search, but didn't see any shipyard jobs.  I also did a search for 1306, but it only came back with a general job announcement for stateside locations.

Like I said, I don't speak Japanese that well.  I could (painfully) make my way through a social conversation with someone who is patient, but I couldn't compete with a native speaker in a professional environment.

Thanks again

Offline navsteve

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2009, 05:25 »
Do a search for puget sound naval shipyard.  Look under employment opportunities.  The top option is for jobs in Japan.  It's not on the DON website.

BetaAnt

« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2009, 10:51 »
Rosetta Stone has a good Japanese language program, but you will find a lot of Japanese speak English or have an understanding of it. :)

You will be in for a culture shock. Slit trenches instead of porcelain seats, "Japanese Only" establishments, pinball parlors, and a VERY crowded mass transit system. Prices are sky-high and a McD happy meal will set you back $15. I hope you like seafood, if you don't there is always vegan. Great place to visit, but to live there would be an cultural and historical experience. Get a good camera and hit the country. It is very beautiful. ;D

Find some Mormon missionaries for language and culture lessons. They live the experience full time. You get a break on the base.  8)

Overall, very clean country and a proud people. DO NOT insult them by confusing the Japanese with Koreans or Chinese. You will get your @$$ kicked or at least have someone spit on your sushi. :o

Have fun and enjoy the experience.

BA  8) 8) 8)

Offline domingo3

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2009, 09:09 »
This job seems like a perfect fit for me:

http://jobview.usajobs.gov/getjob.aspx?JobID=84391152&lid=102,18247,46528&sort=rv,-dtex&rad_units=miles&brd=3876&pp=50&vw=d&re=4&FedEmp=Y&FedPub=Y&caller=advanced.aspx&pg=2&AVSDM=2009-11-09+00:03:00&rc=6&TabNum=1

It wasn't listed on the PSNS jobs in japan site.  It also say the only people that can apply are current navy/mc civilians.  Does this mean that my plan needs to be to get a job as a navy civilian somewhere else and then wait for this to open up again?  Seems silly.

Or do the restrictions on it imply that it's an inside job -- ie they already know who they want, but it's legally required for them to advertise it?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2009, 09:24 »
http://jobview.usajobs.gov/getjob.aspx?JobID=84391152&lid=102,18247,46528&sort=rv,-dtex&rad_units=miles&brd=3876&pp=50&vw=d&re=4&FedEmp=Y&FedPub=Y&caller=advanced.aspx&pg=2&AVSDM=2009-11-09+00:03:00&rc=6&TabNum=1

Does this mean that my plan needs to be to get a job as a navy civilian somewhere else and then wait for this to open up again?  Seems silly.

For civil service job postings, OPM has guidelines on Agency-only postings, Public delegated authority, Status candidates, etc. Just because you don't understand, doesn't make those requirements silly. Perhaps some self-study would aid you on your quest.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2009, 10:25 by HydroDave63 »

Offline domingo3

• Very Lite User
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2009, 03:55 »
I'm somewhat familiar with OPM.  Nothing requires them to make this job agency only.

Regardless of my opinion on the matter, does anyone have any advice on how to get this job in the future (which I am well qualified for)?  It seems as though the only method is what was in my previous post - first get a job as a navy civilian, then wait for it to open up again.  Yes, no?  Any other method that I'm missing?

EDIT:  I guess patience is another method.  There's an opening now with expanded eligibility.  Maybe they're having a hard time finding someone.  I've got at least a few years 'till I'm done with the military, so I'll just have to check back when the time comes.

Thanks for the comments.
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2009, 02:15 by domingo3 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?