Career Path > Different Country

Japan

<< < (2/3) > >>

navsteve:
Go to the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard website.  In the employment section, there is a link for Japan jobs.  This will tell you any open shipyard positions in Japan.

domingo3:
Is there an actual link specifically for Japan jobs?  If so, can you post it?  I went to the site and followed https://chart.donhr.navy.mil  where I could do a search, but didn't see any shipyard jobs.  I also did a search for 1306, but it only came back with a general job announcement for stateside locations.

Like I said, I don't speak Japanese that well.  I could (painfully) make my way through a social conversation with someone who is patient, but I couldn't compete with a native speaker in a professional environment.

Thanks again

navsteve:
Do a search for puget sound naval shipyard.  Look under employment opportunities.  The top option is for jobs in Japan.  It's not on the DON website.

BetaAnt:
Rosetta Stone has a good Japanese language program, but you will find a lot of Japanese speak English or have an understanding of it. :)

You will be in for a culture shock. Slit trenches instead of porcelain seats, "Japanese Only" establishments, pinball parlors, and a VERY crowded mass transit system. Prices are sky-high and a McD happy meal will set you back $15. I hope you like seafood, if you don't there is always vegan. Great place to visit, but to live there would be an cultural and historical experience. Get a good camera and hit the country. It is very beautiful. ;D

Find some Mormon missionaries for language and culture lessons. They live the experience full time. You get a break on the base.  8)

Overall, very clean country and a proud people. DO NOT insult them by confusing the Japanese with Koreans or Chinese. You will get your @$$ kicked or at least have someone spit on your sushi. :o

Have fun and enjoy the experience.

BA  8) 8) 8)

domingo3:
This job seems like a perfect fit for me:

http://jobview.usajobs.gov/getjob.aspx?JobID=84391152&lid=102,18247,46528&sort=rv,-dtex&rad_units=miles&brd=3876&pp=50&vw=d&re=4&FedEmp=Y&FedPub=Y&caller=advanced.aspx&pg=2&AVSDM=2009-11-09+00:03:00&rc=6&TabNum=1

It wasn't listed on the PSNS jobs in japan site.  It also say the only people that can apply are current navy/mc civilians.  Does this mean that my plan needs to be to get a job as a navy civilian somewhere else and then wait for this to open up again?  Seems silly.

Or do the restrictions on it imply that it's an inside job -- ie they already know who they want, but it's legally required for them to advertise it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version