Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Engaged- Paper Marriage/A School Qs

Author Topic: Engaged- Paper Marriage/A School Qs  (Read 27040 times)

Offline Neutron Whisperer

• Moderate User
  • What do you bring to the table?
Re: Engaged- Paper Marriage/A School Qs
« Reply #25 on: Nov 15, 2009, 07:02 »
and.... don't provide to your wife while she's still underage. Many people seem to think that silly law no longer applies to them since they're married to someone of age. Quick way to find yourself or your spouse at the green table.

Spouses are subject to the UCMJ?
Disclaimer: there is no "tone" to my post.

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #26 on: Nov 15, 2009, 10:58 »
Spouses are subject to the UCMJ?

No, but if she drinks underage, she gets masted and if he provides it, he gets arrested and tried by the the county.  It's one of the neat little things they tell you during spouse orientation. 

2) All A schoolers are currently required to live in base housing if married. Many can and have successfully routed chits at the beginning of both power school and prototype to receive BAH and move off base. Staying on base tends to be better for your grades...

7) More married people fail out of A school than single people. Less married people fail out from that point forward. Just my observation, speculate as you wish, but that was the trend in my class as well as the one in front of and behind us.

Married sailors can live off base during A school.  In fact, out of the 4 married couples in my husband's A school class, we were the only ones who opted to live on base.  No special chit or anything is required.  You just tell the housing office you want to live off base and they give you information on rentals in the area.

I've never known a married sailor who failed out of the program, both when I went through the pipeline and now that my husband is going through.  I've known several single sailors who've been kicked out though.  I wonder what the actual stats are on that.
The first rule of thermodynamics is you don't talk about thermodynamics.

• Moderate User
« Reply #27 on: Nov 15, 2009, 11:44 »
Scourn,

From my heart I will tell you that you have much to learn about entering the world of being a Navy spouse. Best bet is that half of your plan may work out. Your 20 year old girlfriend is a tiny spec in the food chain until she successfully swims through the program. Don't place extra & unneeded pressure on her with all this elaborate scheming.

Two years from now, you might get to marry a 22 year old fully qualified WOMAN. Please feel the love & respect for your good and honorable intentions in my opinion.  8)

Not bad advice, but if they can't handle being married while being a student, then how do they expect to endure one underway after another?

cleonard19

« Reply #28 on: Nov 15, 2009, 12:06 »
No, but if she drinks underage, she gets masted and if he provides it, he gets arrested and tried by the the county.  It's one of the neat little things they tell you during spouse orientation. 

Married sailors can live off base during A school.  In fact, out of the 4 married couples in my husband's A school class, we were the only ones who opted to live on base.  No special chit or anything is required.  You just tell the housing office you want to live off base and they give you information on rentals in the area.

I've never known a married sailor who failed out of the program, both when I went through the pipeline and now that my husband is going through.  I've known several single sailors who've been kicked out though.  I wonder what the actual stats are on that.

Like I said, these were the trends I saw. At the time, A schoolers were not allowed to live off base. COuple bad eggs ruined it for the lot.

Far fewer married people got masted while i was there. But many more failed out. A lot of which had been having marital problems related to their work hours.

Take it all with a grain of salt though, because the class in front of me masted 39 people on the same day. And two months later almost to the day, we masted 18. so we weren't representative samples if you will.

Scourn99

« Reply #29 on: Nov 15, 2009, 02:26 »
Thanks for all the ongoing advice and info. The more the better. Me and her don't drink. Hate how it tastes so that's not gonna be a problem.

One question is when she is given the leave days to come up here to get me. Is she flwon up by the navy?

And when she has her week of leave she is taking during one of the two december standdown weeks. Will the navy fly us back up to PA or is that all on us?

cleonard19

« Reply #30 on: Nov 15, 2009, 04:30 »
Sounds like you're pretty firm in the decision to get married.

• Moderate User
« Reply #31 on: Nov 15, 2009, 04:53 »
Thanks for all the ongoing advice and info. The more the better. Me and her don't drink. Hate how it tastes so that's not gonna be a problem.

One question is when she is given the leave days to come up here to get me. Is she flwon up by the navy?

And when she has her week of leave she is taking during one of the two december standdown weeks. Will the navy fly us back up to PA or is that all on us?

When you're on leave it's all on you.

Scourn99

« Reply #32 on: Nov 15, 2009, 05:42 »
Yea we are.

And ok. Good to know thanks

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #33 on: Nov 27, 2009, 03:32 »
I am in the same boat as you. But I am the one going into boot =P. We planned on getting married and moved in AFTER A School. Why?

1. I hear security clearance for Power school can take from 1 - 6 months. And im certain you cannot put in clearance waiver until after A School. If anyone can clarify that would help me out.

2. With the whole NEW environment, it would probably be best to let her get comfortable with her surroundings and have your fiancee solo through A School w.o distractions.

3. Im planning on having a big wedding, big family= big wedding, so its going to take time to plan. My fiancee is a bit traditional, though we both want to get it over with ASAP, we both agree it would be best to wait and make sure everything can go to plan.
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Samabby

« Reply #34 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:57 »
You are 4 years older then the original poster and it shows in your decision making process. Good luck, son.  8)

ravenuke

« Reply #35 on: Dec 12, 2009, 04:03 »
Everyone in my class is taking the entire standdown for leave.  We are all going negative on our leave days.  I have two shipmates in my class that are getting married over the break.  Also, it is true that you cannot drive during phase 1 of training, but if you are on leave, the phase restrictions are not in effect, therefore, you will be able to drive and wear civilian clothes, and drink if you are of age to do so.  If there are any other questions, your fiance should ask her SLPO.  That is the best way to get 100% accurate information on current policies and their final word.

Maziwrath

« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2009, 09:30 »
Everyone in my class is taking the entire standdown for leave.  We are all going negative on our leave days.  I have two shipmates in my class that are getting married over the break.  Also, it is true that you cannot drive during phase 1 of training, but if you are on leave, the phase restrictions are not in effect, therefore, you will be able to drive and wear civilian clothes, and drink if you are of age to do so.  If there are any other questions, your fiance should ask her SLPO.  That is the best way to get 100% accurate information on current policies and their final word.

This is all true. When you are on leave you're on leave. Though I agree it is always best to ask first--that way there shouldn't be any issues.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?