Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Job Security honeypot

Author Topic: Job Security  (Read 6791 times)

F

Job Security
« on: Nov 05, 2009, 06:18 »
I'm having trouble finding accurate up to date information so im asking the people who know: If i decide not to re-enlist after my six years in the navy and go for a commercial ops job (ill be 24-25 when i start) will i be able to hold this job for the rest of my working life? at the same location?  I know there are many variables and its an impossible question to answer, so to those of you with experience in nuke field what have you observed?

Fermi2

Re: Job Security
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2009, 06:37 »
That depends, you need to know when the facility's license expires. MOst are getting 20 year life extensions. If you go to Oyster Creek you'll be employed for roughly 20 years. If you're asking do Operators get laid off? No. Not in today's day and age.

Mike

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2009, 11:21 »
The NRC and industry are starting to talk about what it will take to extend an operating license for a second time, to an 80 year lifetime.  While this sounds like a lot, there are a fair number of fossil/hydro stations that have been running basically forever.  My utility has a hydro plant that started up in 1911 still in service.

A good fraction of the nukes I know have worked at more than one plant, by choice.  It's generally pretty rare for any sort of layoff to hit a nuclear plant given the investment the utility has made in training each worker (not just the operators).  Hiring freezes and not replacing people who leave are more typical actions utilities take when they want to reduce staffing.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2009, 11:46 »
It's a far cry between a Hydro Plant and a Nuclear Plant when it comes to extending an Operating License. I'll venture an opinion right now, you'll never see a current generation plant extended to 80 years and if any do get extended none of them will be named Oyster Creek.

Mike

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2009, 12:19 »
While this sounds like a lot, there are a fair number of fossil/hydro stations that have been running basically forever.  My utility has a hydro plant that started up in 1911 still in service.

FERC's Division of Dam Safety has been stepping up inspections and findings on those older hydro projects, especially in the areas of concrete spall and NDT of penstocks (which has been long ignored in the hydro side of the utility industry). Due to the difficulties in accessing (much less repairing) legacy high-head hydro projects in the world of 21st century OSHA, many historical hydro projects could end up decommissioned by HQ beancounters or greenies http://www.emagazine.com/view/?3310

F

« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2009, 04:49 »
Thanks for the help. I'd love to stay in New England because thats where family is.  Im worried that as the plant licenses start to expire i might work 5-20 years at a plant and then lose my job, forcing me to relocate or get a different job.  I guess i just need to wait and watch if more plants are being closed than built I'll need to look for something esle

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2009, 09:14 »
COME ON DOWN!!  Thats right you could be the next new hire down here in the good ol' south!!  All kidding aside, look into the southeast, cheap cost of living for the most part, great food, great folks, some of the best looking girls (save Texas) you will ever get your arms around (if your not married of course), and did I mention pretty cheap to live?  I know most of the major utilities (southern, duke, tva, scana) down here are looking for folks asap so you may have some pretty good luck.  Not sure bout the whole license thing though, but Im sure you'll be able to retire with no problems.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2009, 06:44 »
Thanks for the help. I'd love to stay in New England because thats where family is.  Im worried that as the plant licenses start to expire i might work 5-20 years at a plant and then lose my job, forcing me to relocate or get a different job.  I guess i just need to wait and watch if more plants are being closed than built I'll need to look for something esle

Nothing new will ever be built in New England. The NIMBYs even fight against wind power.... :o
Find a nice southern plant / utility and have the family come visit during the winter... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

F

« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2009, 04:13 »
it just seems to me that the whole nuclear industry isn't stable.  looking throught the plant index it seems that most of the plants were built in the late 70's or early 80's, i also noticed some of the plants have closed after 30-35 years of operation, are new plants being built or are nuclear power plants dying off?
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2009, 04:14 by F »

Offline x633ro

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2009, 05:23 »
it just seems to me that the whole nuclear industry isn't stable.  looking throught the plant index it seems that most of the plants were built in the late 70's or early 80's, i also noticed some of the plants have closed after 30-35 years of operation, are new plants being built or are nuclear power plants dying off?

Dying off, just look at WB-2, the new holes dug in GA and SC and the license extensions. The nuclear navy is a much better career and much longer(do people not retire after 20 yrs anymore?) Keep drinking the Obama kool-aid. BTW do stay out of the NE if you reach a moment of clarity

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2009, 10:40 »

Most of the current plants are getting 20 year life extensions which will take them to at least the mid 2030's to 2040's.
This industry is definitely kick starting. The reason I pointed out Oyster Creek was because they got their 20 year extension virtually on the day their 40 year license was to expire. I doubt they'll get any extension past that, as it was a heck of a fight getting the extension.
The plants that closed were either too small to be economically viable or had management or licensing issues.

Mike

dynamike

« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2009, 08:41 »
If you're asking do Operators get laid off? No. Not in today's day and age.

Mike

Unless you worked for USEC two months ago ;)

But that's not a power generation company (uranium enrichment) and USEC's woes are not market or license issues. The work force demobilized at USEC is a very small percentage of the nuclear work force in the US, for sure.  As a rule (although not a steadfast one), it's safe to say that operators are safe from market volitility. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?