Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Wanting to Join, But Need Some Help honeypot

Author Topic: Wanting to Join, But Need Some Help  (Read 13916 times)

zzirst

Re: Wanting to Join, But Need Some Help
« Reply #25 on: Nov 14, 2009, 02:46 »
You could try to make a compromise with your parents by pursuing the NUPOC program.
I've actually been considering NUPOC for a while. I've done the research and the program seems amazing, but I don't think I'd be comfortable being an officer without having served. That may seem like a ridiculous thing to decline the program for; so I'll go ahead and say that I honestly don't think I'd be able to tough out the rest of the degree when I know I could be enlisted now and (hopefully) making a difference.

Thanks for all the support guys, it's really helped me make this decision.

itsaparent

« Reply #26 on: Nov 14, 2009, 03:19 »
Will you take one more piece of advice from a parent?

At 19 it is normal to not see how you will mature as you go through college and the NUPOC program.  

Your doubts of your ability to be an officer without having been enlisted can be a good sign for a future officer.  Why I think that is this:  You are concerned about being an good officer who knows his stuff.  You are trying to see things from the enlisted side so you can be a better leader.  While enlisted to officer is one route to go, many men and women have gone the NUPOC route and become good officers.  If they did it, then why not you?  
The Navy will help train you to lead as well as how to do the job.  Chiefs will further train you when you get to your assignment.
So my advice is to talk to an nuke officer recruiter, talk to some nuke officers if you can about the training and leadership, talk to some enlisted nukes, and then make your decision.
Thank you for you willingness to serve.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2009, 08:13 by itsaparent »

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #27 on: Nov 14, 2009, 05:25 »
I honestly don't think I'd be able to tough out the rest of the degree when I know I could be enlisted now and (hopefully) making a difference.

It's good you're being honest with yourself.  But one more thing you should ask yourself is why you don't think you'll be able to finish a degree right now.  If the reason has to deal with being young and not having the maturity/responsibility/discipline to get good grades and finish, that's perfectly fine.  Plenty of young people, myself included, struggled with that; enlisting in the navy will definitely provide you with discipline and responsibility and you'll have time to mature before returning to college if/when you choose to.  Like I said, I'm in damage control now because of those types maturity/lack-of-focus issues, and I'm trying to improve my gpa by retaking classes and trying to pursue a master's degree in order to become competitive for NUPOC.  Looking in retrospect, I wish I would have entered the military out of high school, or at least when it was apparent I was not focused on school.

But if the reason you think you won't be able to finish a degree is because it's hard for you to grasp the material, then may I suggest thinking about another field within the navy.  All nukes, enlisted and officers, attend power school and prototype and from what I've heard neither of those schools are a walk in the park.  I'm not saying other jobs in the navy are easier, but if you're struggling with technical material now, then more technical school might not be in your best interest (power school will teach you heat transfer, thermodynamics, physics, etc.)

You seem to have your head on straight.  Stay honest with yourself, work hard, and best of luck to you.

Offline greenbean

• Moderate User
« Reply #28 on: Nov 14, 2009, 11:58 »
I'm going to second the suggestion of the NUPOC program. Before you sign up you should consider all of your options. Finishing your degree and entering as an officer may be the best option for both the Navy and yourself. Knowing that you have to make A's and B's to stay in the NUPOC program would help keep your focus. You would be a serviceman of the Navy and your education would be your training for you upcomming commission.

You can look at those years in college as time for you to mature and take on different leadership/managerial roles. (Nothing will compare with leading a team on a sub/carrier, but the basic leadership skills are universal.) By choosing an officer route you aren't going to be trusted in intense leadership roles until you prove yourself. Watch a fresh Ensign order a senior enlisted man around and tell me who wins that conversation. Officers are managers. Leadership does not go with the title, it is earned.

As far as wanting to help out immediately, the truth is simple; There will be a war going on 3 years from now just as there is today. These problems aren't going away any time soon, and the reality is that the Navy needs good officers just as much as good enlisted.

I'm interviewing to enter the NUPOC program in January. I know I won't be able to serve for 30 months or so, and I'm definitely feeling the itch to get out there and do something to help. At the same time, I've learned that patience and making an educated decision can save a lot of time/heartache/money.

Again, consider all of your options. If you choose enlisted, you can't go wrong. Either way, I appreciate your earnest desire to serve.

« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2009, 12:02 by greenbean »
neutrons... Neutrons... NEUTRONS!

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #29 on: Nov 27, 2009, 11:57 »
My parents encouraged it, and I said no. I should have listened earlier. 16 Days til boot =O
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?