Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Submarine underway seabag

Author Topic: Submarine underway seabag  (Read 31652 times)

cleonard19

Submarine underway seabag
« on: Nov 13, 2009, 07:09 »
So, STA-21 results came out thursday, and all of us non-selects that were on hold at prototype went up for orders today. We were told to expect a VERY quick turn around, with orders by wednesday, and not being here by thanksgiving. The last couple of hold students sent to the fleet also did not get their 30 days of grad leave, so we're expecting same. My question is, for someone going subs, what should I be looking to pack for an underway? I understand that its not a surface ship, and i'm not taking the whole seabag, and at best i'll get 2/3 of a coffin locker, and at worst a seabag hanging up in the torpedo room.   Can someone give some insight on what I should be looking at, as I'd like to buy any uniform items necessary here in charleston before I transfer, so that if I show up to a boat about to deploy or go underway for a workup, i'm prepared.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Submarine underway seabag
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2009, 07:35 »
Underwear
socks
soap
deodorant
towels
electric razor
williams "lectric shave"

You can put up with old clothes if you can change your skivs and get a shave  :D

Good luck, and thanks for your service..
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

cleonard19

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2009, 07:44 »
How many of these things can i reasonably expect to have room for?

How many coveralls should I bring, what about the NWU?

I did a search, and there was a similar thread but it was regarding a surface female, and I'm really looking for as much as i can for a submariner.

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2009, 09:50 »
Laundry usually gets done once a week, so you'll want a week's worth of underwear.  You can probably get by with 3 sets of coveralls.  You'll only need your NWUs or dress uniform if you are making a port call.
Boots and pair of tennis shoes.
Ipod/Cd player and headphones.
A couple of good books.  A word of warning though, until you're qualified, you won't be reading anything but study material on the mess decks.  Your books for pleasure are for in your rack only until then.
If you drink soda and want it on the underway, you'll need to bring it because you either get water, milk (sometimes fake cows), coffee, or bug juice.  I always brought a few along.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

withroaj

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2009, 06:29 »
Three or four poopies, one in port uniform, one appropriate dress uniform (not necessary for short underways but you'll need it for deployment) two weeks of undies (that way you're not the stinky guy if you miss your laundry day), and three weeks worth of socks (fresh socks 1.5 times a day for two weeks).

Offline Neutron Whisperer

• Moderate User
  • What do you bring to the table?
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2009, 07:11 »
Try www.ehow.com and enter "submarine".
Disclaimer: there is no "tone" to my post.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2009, 02:46 »
Bring some cartons of cigarettes, even if you are not a smoker. Inevitably, there will be some smokers that "were gonna use this underway to quit" or that didn't plan enough and run out.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2009, 04:58 »
Bring some cartons of cigarettes, even if you are not a smoker. Inevitably, there will be some smokers that "were gonna use this underway to quit" or that didn't plan enough and run out.

I've heard of smokes going for $20  a pack before. 

My advice....don't play this game...especially while you are qualifying.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

cleonard19

« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2009, 06:43 »
I've heard of smokes going for $20  a pack before. 

My advice....don't play this game...especially while you are qualifying.

Cheers,
GC

My LPO and pretty much every other Submariner in my Work Center right now said to not play the money game, but the signature game might not be such a bad idea.

Personally, I'd like to think that I'm reasonably intelligent and don't need such things to qualify quickly. Am I alone in seeing a major problem with this whole tobacco/geedunk for quals system?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2009, 08:18 »
Oh yeah good point! LOL do that when you are qualified.

withroaj

« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2009, 08:23 »
I'd also recommend buying some Lysol disinfecting wipes and Febreeze and establishing a "rack ritual."  When you're in port you might wind up staying in random racks on duty days.  When you come in in the morning you can sanitize all exposed surfaces in your rack and Febreeze the mattress.  When (if, while in quals) you have a chance to get some sleep you'll have a fresh, germ-free rack to climb into.

At the beginning of an underway period, thoroughly clean your rack and hang some Yankee Candle (or other lovely smell-good items) car air fresheners from your towel rack (conveniently located at the foot of your rack) to fight off the horrible smells of a submarine at sea.  While at sea, and ESPECIALLY when you're hot racking, shower before EVERY time you get in the rack (you'll be exhausted, but it's inexcusable to get into a rack engine room sweaty).  Buy some dryer sheets to layer between your clean laundry and to stuff into your dirty laundry.

Submarines smell bad.  End of story.  The LAST thing in the world you want is to be the stinky guy in a place that already stinks.

Personally, I'd like to think that I'm reasonably intelligent and don't need such things to qualify quickly. Am I alone in seeing a major problem with this whole tobacco/geedunk for quals system?

I don't do the whole soda for a checkout thing, but if somebody offers me a cool, tasty beverage to sip on while we talk about chemistry/radcon I can't rightly turn them down (that would be just RUDE!).  If somebody requires an offering for a checkout you might want to look to someone else (or take the initiative and get some legit training if you're paying for it).

Just remember that, as you progress through quals, YOU are responsible for the information covered by the objectives in your qual cards.  If you're supposed to perform something, you damn well better perform it.  If you're supposed to simulate it, find all of the valves/switches and walk through the procedure before you even take somebody's time to go over it.  If you head into a checkout expecting a spoon feeding you'll come across as dumb.  If you head in with some knowledge and intelligent questions you'll get somewhere.  When you get to a qualification interview/board it's not MM2/SS's fault that you didn't know the information in your qual card.  If you don't know your immediate actions and the poo hits the fan, your qual card won't mean a damn thing if you aggravate a casualty and, say, turn a loss of a vital bus into a dead electric plant (can these fancy new electric plants even experience that sort of thing?).

By accepting the signature you have agreed to learn the material and ask any and all appropriate questions.  By approaching somebody for a checkout you are suggesting that you have 2.8+ (fleet standard) knowledge of applicable subjects.  If somebody starts signing too much in your card, slow them down and they'll take all of the time they have available to cover the material with you. 

Remember that people sometimes get the idea that signing your card will get you on the watchbill faster.  On a fast attack that means a lot, and you'll take your share of knocks as you go through the qualification process (even if some signatures seem to come quickly).

But we were talking about seabag stuff, not quals.  Don't bring any personal entertainment with you until you are at least qualified a steaming watch and a shutdown watch (if you have time to use it your division is probably letting you too much slack).  Don't use any of it for more than a half hour a day until you're senior in rate and warfare qualified.  ALL checkouts get significantly harder if people perceive you to be lazy, and it is not an exaggeration at all to say that everybody knows everybody on a submarine.

withroaj

« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2009, 08:24 »
...And that last post was entirely too long.  Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2009, 08:30 by withroaj »

cleonard19

« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2009, 08:41 »
No, it was good information. I appreciate it. Anyone have any suggested reading while I'm sitting here waiting for orders for another week? I already picked up and am halfway through Blind Mans Bluff, at the behest of my LPO.

withroaj

« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2009, 08:54 »
Any and all reading material you can find on USS WAHOO and USS TANG will blow your mind.

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2009, 01:35 »
Here's Sovbob's Free Advice on What to Pack for a Submarine Underway(tm)

Introduction
When packing for an underway, it's important to look at a few crucial factors.  Specifically, where you will be berthing, how long you will be underway, and whether you are hot-racking.

If you are going out to sea on a boomer (SSBN) patrol, then you're going to be packing differently than a fast-attack going out for a week.  Pack accordingly.

One of the great things about submarines is a phenomenon called "Boat Funk."  It's a smell that can best be described as "an aromatic blend of monoethanolamine, atomized lube oil, and recycled farts."  Usually you can get the smell out of your clothes when you come back from sea after 2 runs through the washing machine.  But just to be safe, I wouldn't recommend bringing any really nice clothes with you underway.  You're going to stink when you come back home.  Ahhh...sub life.

The Essentials
  • White socks (10 pairs)
  • Underwear (10)
  • White T-shirts (10)
  • Coveralls (2)
  • Belt (1)
  • Underway shoes / Sneakers (1 pair)
  • Toiletries (In a small travel bag)
    • Toothbrush
    • Toothpaste
    • Floss
    • Razor(s) (Electric or manual)
    • Shaving cream (Non-aerosol) (If applicable)
    • Deodorant (Non-aerosol)
    • Soap
    • Shampoo
    • Body Wash (may be substituted for soap/shampoo)
  • Towel (1)
  • Shower shoes (1 pair)
  • Qual Cards!

You cannot go to sea for any period of time without "The Essentials".  This is the MINIMUM that you must have with you.  Furthermore, you will probably need to be wearing boots and black socks for entering/leaving port. On my boat, topside personnel had to be wearing utilities (I guess now it's the NWU), but your ship may have a different policy.

The Extras
  • White socks (8 pairs + Essentials)
  • Underwear (8 + Essentials)
  • White T-shirts (8 + Essentials)
  • Coveralls (1 + Essentials)
  • Towel (1 + Essentials)
  • Dryer Sheets (1 small box)
  • Febreeze (Prohibited, but some people brought it anyway)
  • Disinfecting wipes
  • Travel mug (with sealable cap)
  • Multi-Tool / Pocket Knife
  • Small Flashlight
  • Black ballpoint pens (1 pack)

The "Extras" are just that, extra.  They aren't necessary, but you may be glad you brought them. If space is tight, or you're just going out to sea for a couple of days, you can skip some or all of these.

I suggested bringing extra socks and underwear, because you only get to do laundry once a week.  And wouldn't ya know it?  The washing machine is broken when it's your turn.  Hope you brought "Extra" underwear...

The Luxuries
  • iPod / MP3 Player
  • Laptop
  • Recreational reading material
  • DVDs
  • Candy*
  • Sodas*
  • Cigarettes*
  • Smokeless Tobacco*
  • Foam matress / pillow (May be prohibited)
  • Teddy Bear (Yes, really.  I've seen grown men bring these in their racks)
  • Civilian clothes (1 set)

If you're not fully qualified, you shouldn't really even be considering bringing "Luxuries" onboard.  The possible exception would be those items marked with an asterisk (*).  Here's why:

On a submarine, you will show up and be immediately labeled a "Dink ass nub".  Don't take it personally, everybody goes through it.  But because you're a NUB (Non-Useful Body), all of your free time should be devoted to qualifications.  Nubs should not UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES be caught watching movies or playing on a laptop.  To do so is to invite the wrath of the crew.

Often times, a qualified person will be less-than-willing to take the time to give a nub a checkout.  Offering a soda or a candy bar in exchange for a checkout (not a signature) may offer incentive for them to take time out of their busy schedule for you.  Candy helps get you the checkout, knowledge will get you the signature.  A-Gangers are particularly susceptible to bribery.

TIP: To prevent loose soda cans from rolling around inside your rack-pan and making lots of noise, stuff them inside your socks.

If you're a smoker, you should bring some cigarettes.  Personally, I think it's a filthy expensive addiction, but it's an addiction nonetheless.  Usually the price of cigarettes is low.  The price will skyrocket if the ship's schedule suddenly changes, and you don't pull into port for an extra week. (Whattaya mean we're not pulling into port until Monday?! *puff puff*  I've only got two cigarettes left!)

The Deployment Items
  • Dress Blues (1 complete set)
  • Extra cigarettes / dip (Just in case...)
  • American currency (No more than $100.00)
  • Civilian clothes (2 sets, preferably in a sealed bag with a dryer sheet inside)
  • International pre-paid phone card
  • Camera
  • Backpack (VERY useful for carrying souvenirs)
  • Travel guide / Phrasebook
  • Enlisted submarine warfare insignia, aka silver dolphins (2) (For trade with foreign sailors)

"Deployment Items" are specialty items that will be useful and/or required when you go on deployment.  Usually you'll have to find alternative storage locations for your stuff, because your rack will be full and the ship will be loaded down with all kinds of extra gear.
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2009, 11:40 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2009, 01:50 »
Awesome info!!  When I left prototype to go to my first ship (which was already deployed), when I asked all I was told was "everything"...  Imagine my chagrin (and the looks of my shipmates) when I showed up with 2 seabags full of crap containing an ironing board, FM radio, etc.

At least I had the sense to have two cartons of smokes!  Unfortunately, I had packed them for myself...  my "sea dad" thought they were a gift from above!  I rapidly lost that battle!

Good luck...

Jay
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

cleonard19

« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2009, 01:53 »
Wow, thanks Sovbob, that was incredibly useful. My goal now is to A) sell as much of my furniture as i can and B) figure out what to pack in my two sea bags to throw in my car with all too little space, and what to box up and have shipped to myself at a later date.  Your lists will definitely come in handy.

That said, if I end up north of the Mason Dixon line, on any coast, it'll be down to one seabag in the car and two bags of quikrete.

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2009, 02:02 »
Ahh, it's time for a quick "Training time out".  Reading the above, specifically

But because you're a NUB (Non-Useful Body)

Reminded me of a story of Commander Butts, who found offense at the term "Nub".  Well heck, anyone can see it's just plain derogatory, calling our shiny new sailors that.  We needed a better term, and CDR Butts felt that the term "Nugget" was a suitable replacement.  Unrefined gold, you see?  Ready to be transformed into a thing of function and beauty!

Of course, the crew enthusiastically agreed, and began calling all the non-quals "Butt-Nuggets".....   Ah, another good idea cast aside.

Time in.

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2009, 08:24 »
I played the "sign-offs for cigarettes" game once and it came close to blowing up on me.  I got through the final sign-off but barely.  It was not worth it.  I ended up doing some of my own "under instruction" watches on my own time with buddies just to get up to speed.  Stupid move.

Dave

Offline playswithairplanes

• Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2009, 05:37 »
Jeez, what the hell? Nobody paying attention to what is or isn't an atmospheric contaminant anymore?  Did the Submarine Atmospheric Controls manual change/get thrown out? 

Cleo, when you get to the CoB will give you a list of what's generally needed for a patrol/cruise. Some of the things that people have reccomended you get (Febreze, Yankee candles, etc) are PROHIBITED on board submarines. They contaminate the atmosphere... i.e. the air you breathe in an enclosed environment. As a Nub if you ignore that you can get yourself into some serious "awww shit" trouble. Not a great way to make a first impression. Boats are stinky...deal with it. If you can't, go target. It doesn't matter howmany Yankee candles you burn, or rear view mirror air fresheners you hang around your neck EVERYONE is going to know you are a submariner. You WILL have "Boat smell" about you. Deal with it.

I got a sea story on that one... we pulled into Pearl to load practice shots for a TRE. We were moored out on Ford Island. Back in them days there wasn't any shore power out there so Nukes had to steam while the cone got to go on libs. For our little time we had off the boat me and the rest of my watch section loaded up on the shuttle van to get over to the motor launch landing (I understand they got a bridge now... sheesh...) to hit the exchange (and maybe find a beer or 3). We're sitting there and the next stop after we got on a bunch of Jarheads climb on the bus. One of them sniffs the air then says... sheesh you can tell a sub pulled in, you fella's stink..." My watch section RO just laughs at him and says... "Yea, well your ugly and I can take a shower".  It was good fun.
Airplanes and submarines... they are similar it's just the density of the fluid that separates them

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: Nov 19, 2009, 06:16 »
Surface ships stink too.  You can't get around it.  My wife used to make me leave the seabag out on the porch until we did laundry, and then she wouldn't be anywhere near it while I loaded the washer and ran it twice.

The clothes still stink after that too...  Just a fact of life.
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Offline dcm965

• Lurker
« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2009, 09:52 »
Sovbob post was a good listing. Not too many things suck more than the washer being OOC for 3 weeks and A-gangers only bringing 1 weeks worth of clothing. I always brought a poopy suit that was used just for inspections. When you get back from sea, keep your underway clothes seperate from everything else. In a seabag with numerous fabric softeners.

Offline LivinginParadise

• Light User
« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2009, 09:43 »

Cleo, when you get to the CoB will give you a list of what's generally needed for a patrol/cruise.

I'm the OP. Changed my username.  My boat will not be there when i report. Squadron implied that I would be meeting the boat. Glad I started this post instead of waiting till i showed up, because it looks like I'll be packing that underway seabag sooner than expected.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?