Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Chemical Analyst or AO?  

Author Topic: Chemical Analyst or AO?  (Read 6859 times)

smyleorelse

Chemical Analyst or AO?
« on: Nov 17, 2009, 02:54 »
Hi everyone. New to the forum. After 4 years out of the Navy nuclear program I am done screwing off and will finish my degree from Thomas Edison in March. I have decided I want to start a career in the nuclear power industry as it pays well and will challenge me. I need both in order to be content, money or challenge alone will leave me wanting.

The reason for my post is that I am trying to decide which path I want to pursue, the chemical analyst position or the NLO-RO-SRO route. From what I've read so far, the chem analyst position offers a better schedule and work environment whereas the NLO will offer more money and crappy hours, correct? Any other input would be good. Obviously pay is always a factor. I was an ELT and I liked the chemistry part of what I did better than the operator part but not so much that being an operator would bother me. I also don't want to go the Chem route and feel like I dead ended my career in a few years. At this point I feel like I would like progressing into the business aspect of nuclear power eventually so I'm thinking the NLO-RO-SRO path would be best for that.

Opinions! Fork 'em over!!!

BuddyThePug

Re: Chemical Analyst or AO?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2009, 03:21 »
For one, I'd change your writing style. One never knows which hiring managers may read you here first!

smyleorelse

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2009, 04:24 »
What do you mean by change my writing style? What was bad about my post?
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2009, 04:27 by SmyleOrElse »

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2009, 05:02 »
Ummm, just a few gramatical errors.  But dont take that from me, I never really liked english classes.  I would go the operator route just for the advancement aspect and of course the money is much better, but its up to you and what you want to do with your career. 

smyleorelse

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2009, 05:25 »
Ha ha, oh OK. Well if it's that kind of crowd, I guess I won't do anymore posting during commercials. Math and science are my forte; I've never pretended to be good at grammar and I also took forums/blogs/tweets as informal forms of communication but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to show a little professionalism on a website where I might run into my future employer. Point taken.

And that sounds similar to what I was thinking. My main concern is the career aspect of the position. Like I mentioned, I'm done screwing around, I'm ready to buckle down and run the world. I just want to make sure I'm not just spinning my wheels by becoming the best at a job that has no real future.

NLO-1, Chem Analyst-0

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2009, 09:41 »
Much more oportunity to move up in operations.  Chemists typically stay chemists where as NL goes to LO which can go to SRO.  SRO's can move to different departments.  At least that is how it is here.  Now obviously some Chemists move up into supervisor roles but not as many.

just my 2 cents

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2009, 11:04 »
I've done both, and for challenge you for sure want ops.  As for your writing style, I thought it was just fine.  The cool thing about ops is, even if you don't like it, trying to get your SRO lic. will be a huge challenge, and if you don't like it, you can either move to chemistry or get your license and quit and use it to make big bucks later on.....if you go chemistry first you will probably get bored and go to ops anyway just to see how it is.

That being said, Salem Plant Chem Tech is more challenging than your average chem tech, so if you live near lower NJ, maybe you could try that.  Best to be a hometown boy there though.....good luck.

smyleorelse

« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2009, 08:13 »
Thanks for the input everyone. This alleviates some of the job search anxiety.

Offline tntplayer

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2009, 08:40 »
I don't know where BuddyThePug is coming from about writing style. This is a conversation forum. Buddy needs to lighten up a little.

I agree with  hamsamich. I have done both also. Ops will be MUCH more challenging than chemistry, but on the other hand, chemistry will be a little less stressful.

According to the plant, outages for chemistry can be slower than other departments, especially during the middle parts. Since you have an ELT background, RP support is always needed during the outage, so many plants will designate some chemistry techs to help RP.

There will probably be more overtime available in OPS, and like was said before more chance for advancement. But I have seen Chemistry Techs go to RO/SRO.

So either way will probably work out in the long run. What may influence your decision, at least initially, is where do you want to live and work? Who is hiring and what positions are they hiring? If you don't care where you live then the decision is easier. If you don't have a timetable then you can wait until the plant/area that you want is hiring, etc.

BuddyThePug

« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2009, 10:16 »
whereas the NLO will offer more money and crappy hours, correct?

I also don't want to go the Chem route and feel like I dead ended my career in a few years.

I was only pointing out there were a couple lines that might give a potential hiring manager in either Chem or Ops pause, if they read the post.

I am confident you will do well, and look forward to hearing of your success. +K to ya!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?